Page 1
Page   of 5
Page 2 Page 5

aish_punk

IF-Sizzlerz

aish_punk

Posted: 04 May 2010 at 4:26am | IP Logged
hey guys..

i was wondering if any of you, actually like classics?.

im talking about the teen ones like 'Little Woman',' Anne of Green Gables', Pride and Prejudice, etc.

i don't really like them..but many people are asking me to give it a try n stuff!..so i was like okay..

so could u suggest some good classics?..which have a simple story, and not TOO boring. Also it shouldn't be too kiddish either..

so if u know some good ones..please suggest :)

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Arushi.Beet

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Classics?" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

chhilt

IF-Rockerz

chhilt

Posted: 04 May 2010 at 7:49am | IP Logged
I actually made a topic like this a while back...

I read The Railway Children by E Nesbit two days ago... I really liked it... simple story with a great plot.... you should try it out... it's pretty interesting :)

You can also try Charlotte's Web by EB White... it's more for kids but I loved it when I read it a while back...

Alice in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll are also good...

Hope that helped :)

P.S. I've gotten stuck into classics nowadays :P I didn't like them much before but I love them now :)

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Arushi.Beetaish_punk

-Nayab-

IF-Sizzlerz

-Nayab-

Posted: 04 May 2010 at 8:44pm | IP Logged
I'd recommend Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte... It's a great story... Although some of the second generation of characters in the book share the same names as the first (generation) so that could be confusing Tongue...

You could also try... Emma and Mansfield Park both by Jane Austen and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Arushi.pooja_l-dhruviaish_punk

sourpuss

IF-Dazzler

sourpuss

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 05 May 2010 at 3:37am | IP Logged
I second what the others said. There's also Dickens, but I'm not sure he's everyone's cup of tea. You could try his Great Expectations and see if you like it though! :D If you're in the mood for something darker, I say go for Edgar Allan Poe. His short stories are amazing. 'The Tell-Tale Heart' and 'The Fall of the House of Usher' are extremely thrilling, 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue' is a rather interesting murder mystery, 'Ligeia' and 'The Oval Portrait' have really interesting depictions of women...

I'm sorry I can't be of more help! My teenage years were spent reading novels on witches and vampires. LOL

Love,
Bhav (:

Arushi.-Nayab-aish_punk

shellytt

shellytt

Posted: 05 May 2010 at 6:18pm | IP Logged
I tried reading Wuthering Heights but can't seem to get really started. I'll give it a try again soon.

To start with - you can probably read Anne of Green Gables - I adore this book! Its a simple and endearing story. There is actually a series that follows with Anne of Avonlea and Anne of the Island etc.

As for other classics:
Pride and Prejudice (love love love)
Emma
Persuasion  (love love love)

You can also try some Mark Twain books:
The adventures of Tom Sawyer
The adventures of Huckleberry finn

These are the more simple and loved classics. If you can get through them, you'll be hooked on the Classics. Don't discount the classics, esplecially the likes of Jane Austen  and authors of her era, the language may need a little growing accostomed to in the beginning, but once you get into the novels, you'll not notice a thing. 

Have fun reading!

ElusiveDevotionArushi.-Nayab-

-Nayab-

IF-Sizzlerz

-Nayab-

Posted: 05 May 2010 at 6:35pm | IP Logged
@shellyt... I had to read it for my A-Level English & Lit class LOL... It was ok once I got the hang of it LOL...

@Persuasion... I've been wanting to read that one for a while... Is it as good as it sounds? I checked out some reviews on Amazon etc...

shellytt

shellytt

Posted: 06 May 2010 at 9:28am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Nayab-

@shellyt... I had to read it for my A-Level English & Lit class LOL... It was ok once I got the hang of it LOL...

@Persuasion... I've been wanting to read that one for a while... Is it as good as it sounds? I checked out some reviews on Amazon etc...

Persuasion is beautiful! I personally loved it. I had the book for years and never read it, then last year I decided to give it a try, I absolutely fell in love! Give it a try I'm sure you'll like (especially if you like Pride and Prejudice or any of Jane Austen's other books)

I'm assuming that you did Wuthering Heights at A levels. I'll have to give it a try again soon, but I'm pressed for time these days so will do so soon.

ElusiveDevotionArushi.-Nayab-

chhilt

IF-Rockerz

chhilt

Posted: 06 May 2010 at 11:16am | IP Logged
@Shelly.. I'm surprised you didn't mention To Kill a Mockingbird :P

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-dhruvi

Post Reply New Post

Go to top