Monali Thakur- succesful indian idol contestant

Posted: 13 years ago

Hey guys as most of you all must have seen Indian idol 2. Remember Monali Thakur who stood ninth in idol2?. Monali is doing great job in playback singing these days. I have got these for those who would be interested in knowing more about this new singing sensation.

Immediately after she was eliminated, judge Anu Malik offered to help her find a future singing opportunity, which turned out to be a playback song in the movie Jaan-E-Mann. This led in turn to the opportunity to sing two songs for the hit movie Race in 2008 - "Khwab Dekhe (Sexy lady)" and "Zara Zara Touch Me". She was originally scheduled for only one song, but her first recording impressed the film's directors Abbas and Mustan enough for them to book her a second. "Zara Zara Touch Me" was enormously successful, becoming the fourth-most-played song on Indian radio during the first half of 2008.

She also sang in the movies Golmaal Returns (meow) and the forthcoming Mr. Bhatti on Chutti and Dulha Mil Gaya, and is working on her first solo album. As of June 2008, Thakur claimed that the album included a planned nine tracks, of which six had already been written by Thakur and Sachin Gupta, and would be in a blend of rock and classical styles. She has also sung a song "Khudaya Khair" in the recent film "Billu Barber" starring Shahrukh Khan. She is also doing many bengali songs. 
(source-wikipedia)

She is the only indian idol contestant to reach that height. She was nominated for filmfare as well as starscreen for her song "Zara zara touch me". Which is one of my favourite songs too. She has a Sensous & unique voice.

I personally am a big fan of shreya ghoshal who was a child contestant in saregama who lost in the final but is now the best singer in bollywood today, all other saregama contestants competing vanished with time. Now I feel winning a reality show or gaining popularity are not that important, being a quality singer is what is important. Monali was ninth, but still she achieved what no other indian idol contestant did. According to me a good voice & a good singer always gets noticed.
Edited by Shreyacool - 13 years ago

OMG.. was it MONALI THAKUR who sang for the lady in "Khuda Yaa Khair".. ??! 😲 I never realised that! She's has done such an amazing job in all the songs that she sang.. 👏 

I'm surprised that none of the Indian Idol contestants, especially the top 5 contestants haven't achieved anything much after the show.. As of I know, I've seen Suhit(from Indian Idol-3) in Kit-kat advertisements.. and Abhijit for a mouth freshness spray.. 🤔 Other than that, none of 'em have done anything(?) after that...
Karunya sang 2-3 songs  for Tollywood and was a host for some TV show(Tollywood) ... What do the contestants actually achieve ???! 😔

Anyways, I'm happy for Monali.. and obviously she's been just excellent in the songs she did a playback for.. Her career is so much brightened now.. glad for her.. 😊

PS -- Wikipedia RULES.. 😛 😳 
Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 13 years ago
I am vry happy for Monali...bcause i was the 1st person who wrote a topic in IF named 'Our Monali in Race' ....for those who does not know Antara Mitra other fellow contestant of Monali from II2 has sung many numbers in bollywood....her remarkable jobs including 'Yeh Ishq Hai (Remix version)..from Jab We Met,'Kuke kuke koyelia....from Life Partner & Title song of the 'All the Best'...I am happy for both as i  voted no of votes for them....and specially i wannna thank to Pritam for giving them chance in bollywood. 
Wow Monali has done amazingly well - usually reality show contestants fizzle out, which is a shame... It just goes to show how much of a struggle showbiz really is! The only recent reality show contestants to have made it big are Toshi-Sharib and Raja Hassan - I think they rode on the 'sufi' wave thanks to their unique voices. Otherwise awesome singers who have more mainstream voices (like Abhijeet, Rajdeep and Amit Paul) are finding it hard to get the chance they deserve...
thats really gud  😊

i alwayz thought she'd go far
Oh my god ... Khudaya Khair is one of my favorite songs! I had no idea that it was Monali Thakur who sang that song. I always wondered, though. She has definitely made a name for herself in the industry.

I think its a matter of not just talent, but also luck. If you notice, as a trend in Indian reality shows, the winner is usually the loser, and the runner-ups make it big. Blame it on the incorrect public voting or the producer's contract, but its a trend easily observed across the board. Not all those who win will make it big and not all those who lose will disappear out of the industry. Monali Thakur is a perfect example, I think. I wish her the best of luck in all her future career advancements.

Also, I think we need to thank the music directors who give these newcomers a chance, and I hope this encourages other MDs to try out newer voices and bring due recognition to these singers.

Thanks for the thread, Sheya's fan! :)
She is undoubtedly a very good singer, but her voice is more inclined to higher pitched/ fast paced songs. But I have liked her the songs that she has sung, and hopefully she keeps rocking!
Did you guys know that Monali is going out with Chang? There's an interview with Chang here on I-F and he says himself he dating Monali.
Originally posted by Meredith

Did you guys know that Monali is going out with Chang? There's an interview with Chang here on I-F and he says himself he dating Monali.

Yup even I read it.
And talk about being successful, Chang has done something which no other Idol contestant could do. His movie 'Badmaash Company' alongside Shahid Kapoor and Anushka Sharma is going to release next week and that too under Yashraj banner. He is looking good in the trailers. Lets see how he acts.

Talking about Monali. Yes she has been successful when it comes to Bollywood songs. But in my view the true successful contestant has been Abhijeet Sawant. I loved his two private albums. Heard 'Junoon' live in Kolkata and found him amazing.
Wow..is it true? monali sang 'jara jara touch me?" I thought it was Kalyani Nair???
It is true Indian Idol final 10 are not shown back much except Abhijit sawant. Karunya is singing some in Telugu but not as I expected. His voice dsnt matc h everyone, that's the prob with his voice.
Playback Singer should match her/his voice to the character in the movie, then only the song and singer gets recognition.
Good to know about Monali, she is cute too.

Edited by vallanki - 13 years ago