Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee

Nayantara reveals her true colours - article!

SaVni thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 14 years ago

Karishma  Randeva aka Nayantara of STAR One's new NRI groom show Geet- Hui Sabse Parayi  shocked everyone by revealing that she is Dev's (Abhinav  Shukla's) first wife and that they had come to India to find a second  bride only for money.

We spoke to the Chandigarhi kudi talking about the 180 degree twist in her character. Over the years, Karishma has successfully played a variety of both negative and positive characters with aplomb, so was she easy with this one too? Let's find out:

Nayantara didn't take long to show her true colour?

(Laughs) Dev and I had to hide our marriage for we wanted Geet's money. My character is very headstrong and she effectively runs the house and dominates over her mother and sister in law. Coming to her equation with Dev, although they love each other, they have a weird relationship. This was clearly proved in the episode where she does not allow Geet to spend the suhag raat with Dev. All these layers will further be unraveled in the coming episodes.

So your character is totally black?

Nobody in this world is totally black, even Nayantara has reasons (however wrong) for doing what she does. Inside her head, she thinks that she is right.

How did you prepare yourself for this character?

It was quite tough as initially I had to be the good bhabhi who has come down along with Dev to help him get married. Accordingly my body language and look had to be older. I also had to speak to him as Devji and not Dev. Many times the ji came a bit later and people were puzzled as to why I was calling my brother in law by his name. This is not the normal social practice. I have had to imagine myself to be Nayantara in order to be able to play her effectively. I just can't act, I need to think and understand why and what I am doing.

Is this show a comment on NRI grooms cheating Punjabi girls?

Yes, it is quite sad that even today in rural areas of Punjab most parents get their daughters married off to NRIs without properly checking their credentials. Just the thought that their daughters will go abroad is enough. On the other hand, when they find a desi boy, they will check everything with a fine tooth comb. Many of the times they leave good Indian prospects for the NRI munda . Hope Geet helps to create awareness about this social evil. It's high time parents awoke to this danger. For when the boy comes here, he is all sweet, but the girl discovers a whole new side to him, when he goes back.

Why did you choose this role?

I like the character and was told that one of the reasons why I was penciled in was that I have played both positive and negative characters. I can easily switch shades and the public will not react negatively.

Are you not scared that the public will now attack you for targeting Geet?

Yes, people sometimes fail to distinguish between real and reel life. I have been through it before. I remember once I was shopping and a lady just accosted me and berated me for troubling the lead girl (Chandani played by Mansi Parekh) in India Calling. It took me some time to convince her that I was just doing a role! This change in public perception is all the greater when you shift to negative after playing the good girl ( Hello Dollie, Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki ). At first you are used to the public loving you and then all of sudden they start hating you. But this just shows that we are doing good work.

With which co stars are you most comfortable ?

With Tanushree and Silkina who play my mother in law and sister in law respectively. We have most of our scenes together.

What do you prefer playing, negative or positive?

Negative for a variety of reasons. Firstly it gets tough to keep crying for 12/13 hours as positive characters must do. By the time you get home your whole mood gets spoilt. Secondly, since I am married now, I need more time for my family and negative tracks require fewer dates. And last but not the least, is that of late negative characters are more remembered e.g. in Pavitra Rishta the mother in law is more in lime light, same is the case with Ballika Vadhu.

Comedy seems to be your forte?

I had began with comedy then shifted to daily shows. I also enjoyed my track thoroughly in Lo Hogayi Pooja Iss Ghar Ki ( SAB TV). I think it is more challenging to tickle the comic bone then doing positive or negative. For getting the right timing is quite tough.

You have not done any reality shows?

Honestly, I have not been offered anything good. And plus I was away due to marriage. But now since I am back, I would love to shake a leg in say Nach Balliye. Mind you, I am not a good dancer. I boogie away at ease only at disc when nobody is watching. But I would love to do a reality show as I love to challenge myself.

Among all your shows which is your best?

It would have to be Hello Dolly. I also love doing strong cameos ( Rakhi, Nagin) though many people have said that cameos run the risk of typecasting but I always follow my heart. As these short stints offer you space to do different stuff.

Would you want to do films?

Initially yes, when I entered the entertainment field, I was offered a number of films but most of them required me to wear hot pants, do kissing scenes and take part in raunchy item numbers. Something what I was not comfortable with. I know many other girls have no issues, but this is a personal call. Now again bollywood is changing and if I get some constructive role, I would be more than happy to grab it.

Watch Karishma Randeva in her negative best only on Geet - Hui Sabse Parayi on STAR One at 9:30 pm

SOrry if it has been posted before.!!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

pyar-ishk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Thanks for the article. I knew she was Dev wife so I wasn't surprise.
sumaiya-kay thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4
Thnx for the article...she's a really good actress
jamoshi2507 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
i knew she was Dev's wife .... she made me feel that ....good luck to her....i love to hate her... she is a fine actor
Farzu- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Aww nice interview! She seems like a sweetheart in real life :)

sallu_lover thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
wow she is sooo kool i love her interview
thanks