Kumkum - Ek Pyara Sa Bandhan

hussain in a new musical play.!!!! (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 6

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 6
Page 4 Page 6

..Swapnali..

Goldie

..Swapnali..

Posted: 21 September 2010 at 6:34pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by greatsumkum

omg.............Big smile
i m very excited 2 c dis movie............Dancing.DancingDancingDancing.
n dying to  c dis.....DeadDeadDead

This is not a movie dear.. this is a bollywood movie style play..

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "hussain in a new musical play.!!!! (Page 3)" in Kumkum - Ek Pyara Sa Bandhan forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

..Swapnali..

Goldie

..Swapnali..

Posted: 22 September 2010 at 10:45am | IP Logged
Hi guys,

One more article about Zangoora. I found this at reuters. Loved the pictures!!

~Swapnali

Zangoora: Bollywood comes alive on stage

Sep 22, 2010 06:44 EDT

Zangoora

It's not a film, not a play and not a dance-drama. Well, maybe it's a fusion of all three.

But "Zangoora: The Gypsy Prince", billed as Bollywood's biggest musical ever, is definitely
something Indian audiences have never seen before.

At the newly launched 'Kingdom of Dreams' on the outskirts of Delhi, an elephant pops up on stage, the hero arrives flying on an eagle, the heroine swings down to the proscenium ' of course, all this with the help of wires, stage props and huge LED screens that bring palaces and dungeons to life.

Zangoora

"Zangoora" is a celebration of Bollywood over the years, with dances set to popular musical numbers.

The vivid costumes, aerial acrobatics, sound effects and flawless choreography weave a tale of fantasy on the stage.

Of course, there is nothing new about the storyline of a young prince raised by a troupe of wandering gypsies far from the kingdom while the villain kills his parents and usurps the throne.

This is a Bollywood musical so all's going to end well, good will triumph over evil, the prince will surely get back his throne and win his lady love.

Zangoora

Does the story really matter? If "Zangoora" were a Bollywood film, I would be sceptical about its success at the box-office.

But at the 'Kingdom of Dreams', the scenes unfold in front of a live audience spellbound by the aerial sequences, special-effects and even a bit of magic.

Interest does flag in the second half as "Zangoora" hurtles towards its expected climax and you keep wondering if there is some new aerial stunt or unseen special effect in the offing.

Some of the denouement scenes are a tad melodramatic but the rest of the two-hour show more than makes up for it.

Zangoora

I can't help wondering whether "Zangoora" would have been a bigger draw with Bollywood stars like Shah Rukh Khan and Aishwarya Rai.

Viraf Sarkari, the man behind 'Kingdom of Dreams', has said "Zangoora" cost much more than a Bollywood movie. A few millions more may have sufficed to bring in a more saleable star.

Even so, the musical seems perfectly cast with a bunch of talented television and theatre actors. There's Zangoora (Hussain Kuwajerwalla), his gypsy dancing partner Laachi (Gauahar Khan), princess Sonali (Kashmira Irani), villain Zohrawar (Sadanand Patil) and dozens of minor characters and dancers.

At an entry fee ranging from 1,000 to 6,000 rupees, watching musicals at the 'Kingdom of Dreams' may be a luxury for India's middle-class but for those who can afford it you have to watch "Zangoora".

Zangoora

http://blogs.reuters.com/indiamasala/2010/09/22/zangoora-bollywood-musical-kingdom-of-dreams/

..Swapnali..

Goldie

..Swapnali..

Posted: 23 September 2010 at 12:50pm | IP Logged

Hey all,

There is one more article on Zangoora & Hussain Smile

~Swapnal
i

Kitsch attack, '70s style

In a first for India, a lavish musical marries Bollywood and Broadway

Abhilasha Ojha

Just before intermission Zangoora has a Salman Khan moment. The handsome man from the gypsy community, living on the outskirts of the kingdom Shakti Shila, discovers his love for a blue-blooded princess and in a split second yanks off his shiny vest, showing off a fetching body, complete with toned biceps and smouldering looks. But this is just one of the many Bollywood moments in Zangoora The Gypsy Prince, the Broadway-style musical that serves a heady dose of aerial choreography, snazzy 3D effects and pyrotechnics, jazzy costumes, larger-than-life stage sets and much more. Viraf Sarkari, co-producer, executive creative producer and director of the show, promises that Zangoora - with the lead role essayed convincingly by seasoned television actor Hussain Kuwajerwala - will be a 3-hour spectacle no one has seen before. "You just sit back and watch this history in the making," he says with a wink.

Watching history unfold while sinking into a La-Z-Boy in a theatre called Nautanki Mahal is definitely a good idea. Along with his partners, Sarkari had dreamt of a Bollywood musical "to be presented Broadway-style". But, he adds, "the presentation had to be in a dreamland, a place we envisioned 13 years ago."

In keeping with current Bollywood trends, the "place" is a throwback to the 1970s where everything is, well, bling. So you'll find mirrored walls, water features complete with coloured lights, doors covered in thick velvet and dotted with shimmering crystals, pretty chandeliers, plush seats, and intricately carved walls.

For a generation queuing up to watch Anurag Kashyap and Dibakar Banerjee, this Bollywood musical's storyline by Javed Akhtar appears hackneyed. It begins with a king and queen getting killed by a bunch of villains and their child being raised by the banjaron ki toli, the gypsies. Yawn.

However, considering it's a musical served designer-style the storyline incorporates ingredients to serve the perfect recipe on stage. There is romance, the dance-song routine, action and not surprisingly, the best names from Bollywood have been roped in to create the spectacle. Omung Kumar Bhandula has designed some of the most elaborate sets ever seen on Indian stage; Darshan Jariwala and Arvind Gaur are the drama directors; Neeta Lulla the costume designer; Shiamak Davar has choreographed some amazing moves for the lead actors and his 150-odd dancers; and Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy have remixed popular 1970s numbers as well as some recent hits to create a grand and spectacular experience.

So grand that you forgive the dull moments and the slapstick jokes. If all goes as planned, there will be 400 shows and it helps that the venue is connected by the new, Gurgaon-Delhi Metro line. So the next time you want to experience India's own wonderland, go catch Zangoora at Kingdom of Dreams.

http://www.livemint.com/2010/09/23212316/Kitsch-attack-821770s-styl.html?h=B

..Swapnali..

Goldie

..Swapnali..

Posted: 23 September 2010 at 10:42pm | IP Logged

Guys,

Here is what Mr. Oberoi has to say about Zangoora..

Enjoy,
Swapnali

DREAMS Galore

Geety Sahgal
Posted: Fri Sep 24 2010, 15:18 hrs Mumbai:

As TV actor Hussain Kuwajerwala took a bow at the conclusion of Zangoora, The Gypsy Prince, which premiered last weekend at Kingdom of Dreams in Gurgaon, near Delhi. Vivek Oberoi, who watched the play with moist eyes, clapped the hardest. The actor, who was once a part of the musical extravaganza and had even rehearsed for it for a few weeks, was very emotional, as it very well could have been him on the stage instead of Hussain.

"I sorely missed being up there. But the musical is not a closed chapter. I am very close to the organisers, who were gracious enough to let me go when I felt that my commitment to Rakta Charitra wouldn't leave me with much time to do justice to the show. Anyway the shows will continue for several months, so I have told them that whenever I have two-three months off I will be there, to do about 50 to 60 shows," smiles the actor, relaxing in the lounge of a suburban hotel in Mumbai, where he was attending a few meetings since his home is under renovation.

To read more, visit

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/dreams-galore/685371/0

..Swapnali..

Goldie

..Swapnali..

Posted: 23 September 2010 at 10:54pm | IP Logged
Hey all,

I found this pic taken when SRK inaugurated Zangoora!!
Gauhar and Hussain look so good. By the way, is she the tallest among them?

Shahrukh Khan at Zangoora the Gypsy Prince's opening, Kingdom Of Dreams.

..Swapnali..

Goldie

..Swapnali..

Posted: 24 September 2010 at 9:32am | IP Logged

From the event. Photo: Special Arrangement

Kingdom of Dreams finds its brand ambassador in Shah Rukh Khan

The recently launched Kingdom of Dreams in Gurgaon's Sector 29, said to be India's first live entertainment and leisure destination, has found its brand ambassador in Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan. At an event recently, the promoters of Kingdom of Dreams ' Anumod Sharma, Chairman, Apra Group of Companies, and Viraf Sarkari, Andre Timmins and Sabbas Joseph, directors of Wizcraft International Entertainment, declared him the ambassador at an event to play a key role in its brand and product communication. The Kingdom of Dreams has planned an aggressive multi-media campaign covering television, radio, outdoor, cinema, and Internet which will be supplemented by strategic campaigns across international markets and Khan will have a role to play in the campaign.

Speaking on the occasion, Viraf Sarkari said, "Having Shah Rukh Khan associated with our dream project ensures that indeed the king has come to his rightful kingdom." The occasion also saw the premiere of the Bollywood musical "Zangoora ' The Gypsy Prince." The theatrical extravaganza had guests in raptures with the production featuring actor Hussain Kuwajarewala, Gauhar Khan and Kashmira Irani. The stellar performance by the cast set the stage on fire while showcasing the energy and drama of the play. An excited Sarkari said, "Zangoora marks only the beginning of our journey, slowly redefining the landscape of entertainment in India."

Khan, talking on the occasion, called the Kingdom of Dreams "reflective of India, its rich culture and seamless heritage." He said, "I am proud to promote my country, my India, through this platform." After watching "Zangoora", he commented, "It is nothing short of a magical journey encapsulating the best of Indian cinema on stage. Kingdom of Dreams is a world class experience and I am ecstatic to be a part of this incredible experience."

Spread across acres of land, Kingdom of Dreams has four distinct entertainment zones ' Culture Gully, a boulevard of Indian food, art, and culture; Nautanki Mahal, a state-of-the art 4D theatre, IIF Buzz Caf, a glamorous Indian cinema lounge and Showshaa Theatre, to present a kaleidoscope of colourful drama marquee spotlighting ancient Indian epics and mythology, mock wedding shows and the great Indian circus. The theatre is slated to open by this October.

Speaking at the event, Anumod Sharmaadded, "As we open the doors to the Kingdom of Dreams, we hope that people will experience a complete Indian experience. The treatment each guest gets here should truly make them feel like the king and queen in their own kingdom."

http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/metroplus/article793039.ece

..Swapnali..

Goldie

..Swapnali..

Posted: 24 September 2010 at 9:36am | IP Logged

BIG FM's Delhi Station celebrates 4th Anniversary

Fri, 24 Sep 2010 20:03:00

New Delhi :It's party time at 92.7 BIG FM's Delhi station as it celebrates its 4th Anniversary amidst much fanfare. The station's Delhi office celebrated the occasion with pomp and grandeur as they threw a bash to mark the day.

Also present on the occasion were Zangoora (Hussain Kuwajerwalla), his gypsy dancing partner and princess Sonali (Kashmira Irani) who performed the cake-cutting ceremony along with the staff of BIG FM. Zangoora The Gypsy Prince is a musical jamboree staged at the recently opened Kingdom of Dreams, which is touted as India's first, unique live entertainment destination. In a mood to rejoice the occasion, the staff and stars devoured the sumptuous and mouth watering chaat.

To celebrate the 4th milestone, in the coming full week (27september to 2nd October), the Delhi station will distribute lots of gratification to its listeners. These gratifications will be gift vouchers and will be applicable across Delhi NCR and will be for various categories.

92.7 BIG FM's Delhi Radio Operation Head, Gaurav Sahai said, "We are excited that the station has successfully completed 4 years. I think it's a huge achievement for us as 92.7 BIG FM is the first radio station to spread FM across the length & breadth of the country. We hope to continue achieving such milestones in the future too. We want the station to go places and that can happen only with continued audience support.

http://www.medianewsline.com/news/119/ARTICLE/6710/2010-09-24.html

..Swapnali..

Goldie

..Swapnali..

Posted: 27 September 2010 at 6:26pm | IP Logged

I found another review of Zangoora.

Didn't like the author's tone much, but liked the adjective she gave to Hussain!! Smile 
Also, found the pic interesting, so posting it here.

~Swapnali

Why Zangoora the Prince could truly be a saviour

By Shreya Ray
 September 25, 2010

Zangoora the Gypsy Prince, not to be confused with Xena the Warrior Princess (unless we're comparing hairstyles of protagonists), the Javed Akhtar-written, Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy-composed, Shiamak-Davar choreographed, big budgeted, self-declared history-creating musical, opened at the Kingdom of Dreams, last weekend.

A number of things were annoying me about it: the name Zangoora; the big-names-are-best subtext to the marketing strategy, the presumption that this was history in the making, and most importantly, the bit about it being a 'Bollywood style' musical.

I'm not sure how long I've been allergic to this concept of  the Bollywood-style musical although I can safely say it was triggered off by the Sohaila Kapur-directed (and scripted ) headache masquerading as bling ' Mahim Junction (2008). Now, Mahim Junction pretty much tried to be the Om Shanti Om of the stage. With one critical difference: it was awful. I part-cringed part-cursed my way through the first half, and disappeared right after interval.

Zangoora, on the other hand, isn't something you'd abandon midway. Although I had gone in prepared to dislike it, I did feel it has elements that work for it. In fact, it's like any standard big-budget Bollywood movie. It has peppy (rehashed) songs ' pretty much every song you'd have danced to in the last shaadi you attended (and the one original song is eminently forgettable); it has great dancing. It's got strikingly beautiful sets and design (thank you Omung Kumar Bandula, not only did you teach us how to play games in one minute, you also raised the bar), it also has a hero who takes off his shirt.

But in true Bollywood style, it also has no real plot, embarrassingly bad dialogues and - with the exception of Gauhar Khan and Hussain Eight-pack-abs-wala - fairly ordinary performances. It has the quality of lulling your critical senses, by bombarding you with bling. It's all spectacle, no substance. Bollywood in its build, Bollywood in its flaws. Really, it's not even theatre. And that, perhaps, is the root cause of my gripe.

I have a problem that Bollywood - already dominant on our cultural landscapes - is poaching into other diminishing mediums. What already exists in undiluted form is now gradually being force-fed to us through other art forms. I'm scared that we're getting addicted to it to the extent that all art needs a Bollywood licence to succeed or even command an audience. We're increasingly moving into a place where we attend concerts if they have Bollywood songs/singers, or judge the merit of a play depending on how Bolly-formulaic, or star-studded it is. Which is why when India's first musical production of the same scale as the Broadway or Westend is planned, it too is set to formula. Anything else is just a huge risk.

And when a play adopts the formula, it doesn't do its own thinking, it doesn't evolve its own art. It's borrowed, and it's old. A Mahim Junction has got to fail because it has concentrated all its efforts into mimicking the Om Shanti Om formulae, not creating something new.

But perhaps I'm being too cynical, and perhaps I'm undermining the chaps at Kingdom of Dreams. Perhaps this paisa wasool entertainment is part of a larger dream that I haven't considered until now. That this act of drawing audiences to the theatre, is their way of hooking then to the medium. Perhaps the Zangoora is the nicotine patch to the Bollysmokers, and once they're de-addicted, it'll shed some of its Bolly-skin, and show its true drama self. And perhaps one day, Bollywood will be producing a Zangoora the Gypsy Prince.

http://blog.livemint.com/livelounge/first-cut/music/2010/09/why-zangoora-the-prince-could-truly-be-a-saviour/[

Post Reply New Post

Go to top