Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Sneha thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

3) Finally even if it is proven beyond reasonable doubt such parties are the sole and leading cause of whatever terrible problem future generations face, by proposing we curb them now - we are proposing curbing of the free will of humans making a conscientious decision that is causing no real direct harm because it risks some potential future harm. It is like saying oxygen supports fire, eliminate air.

Just by the way Sarina, I absolutely adore this! I've heard and used such statements once or twice in national debates, but this easily ranks amongst the best I've known! 👍🏼
-Sneha thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ice-Thinker

@return to hades: The glasses of ignorance is one thing, and the rope of value is another. Holding on to the rope of value is very important. "When in Rome do as the Romans do" is not always the best quote. Would you participate in throwing stones on a woman declared guilty by a sovereign countries legal system? .. just because that is the way the people of that country lead their life?

There are always those GOOD things that can be accepted into ones life from that other country ... and those BAD things which your own country taught you, you can clean it out... and vice versa. The education of GOOD vs. BAD therefore become a very big neccessity for humans. Otherwise, again, its an anarchy. WONDER IF YOU TOOK THE TIME TO READ THE POST I POSTED PREVIOUSLY TO THIS, GIVING SOME INPUT OVER YOUR THOUGHTS ... 😊

I am sorry about interrupting the wonderful conversation, I just read this and thought about adding my two-piece. Not just because it is directed to Sarina, but because I myself was in conflict with what you've just stated above.

First things first. What is the "rope of value" to you? And does it equate to the values of your neighbor? To that of the inhabitants of the neighboring country to yours? To that of those living on the other side of the globe? Just because your family and religion have set up a system of culture and values, doesn't give them the status of being "right", at least in every which way. I'd agree with Sarina, family values are VERY important, they shape your identity after all, perhaps in many cases, your personality too, but your integrity? I highly doubt it. I can live up to what my religion asks me, but that does not mean I have to view the world and worldly happenings in each and every way stated by my holy book or prophet.

Secondly, you're contradicting yourself according to me. That woman must not be thrown stones at when we visit the country, yet everyone must conform to one set of principles made up by someone? Fair enough deal I must say. Someone who chooses to have a bachelor party as he wishes to does not do it just because the "rest" have it that way, similarly to have someone like me would choose a get-together not because my friends would do it that way too. I do believe it comes down to personal choice. You cannot expect to set up rules in free democratic countries about how bachelor parties must, or must not be done, lest it includes strippers, alcohol or whatever that follows.

Thirdly, to educate people on Good v/s Bad, I think we must ourselves be sure of the "good" and then of the "bad". The concept that all these habits come from the West is outdated, and highly ridiculous if you ask me. I've always been labeled, back home in India, as someone who's been born and brought up in "foreign". Yet, of the numerous times I visited India, all distant relatives who came to visit said they wished they had preserved their culture as we do over here. It's a WRONG assumption that when you're out of India, you let go of the "so-called" values and traditions that are supposedly set in the Indian society. I am 18, and I am still not allowed to step out of the house alone after 8 unless special reasons, and I am aware of tens of cases, some being my own cousins, who live in India and go out partying late, without restriction. It's cool to label people when you're not part of the lot. But reality, in often many cases, is something else.

Again, so that you do not get me wrong. I am not a follower of alcoholic drinks nor of strippers, nor do I ever felt the need to promote them, no matter in what society or culture. But that does not stop me from saying that I do not mind people making their own choices, whether that involves stripping and consuming alcohol. Also, as Sarina very well put it, it's always been really easy to judge people on their habits. Mind you, habits and actions are NOT the same. I think she's clearly explained how people may seem all to religious and abiding to rules and be rotten people, whilst others may be a bit carefree and having small vices but prove to be excellent human beings. Labeling someone as "bad", because he or she chooses his/her way of partying, is not something I'd do at least.

@sneha:

1. Your "two-pieces" are welcome.

2. The rope of value does equate with the values universally. One such value would be not to murder. Another would be not to rape. Yet another value would be to be respectful to human kind and oneself. Alcoholism, drugs, gambling, stripping/prostitution are universally accepted vices. The only arguments which come in favor of such things are from those who would like to believe in anarchic freedom. The hippies in the 70s tried it ... and have not been considered as the best role models for a civilised social structure.

I did not bring up religion. It was brought up by other respected members and their thinking. Being good is not only religious, but also being basic. To help a blind man cross the road is something that is still believed to be a good deed (by most ... ofcourse there are those who would say that they cannot waste their time  ... or its the blind man's problem that he is blind).

3. You are reading my post in a way what would make it look conveniently contradictory perhaps? ... Did that ever occur to you?

I never said that we all should decide what is good or bad. I try to emphasize that we RECOGNISE what is good or bad. Because GOOD and BAD have always been present ... the only thing we need to do is to recognise it. IF an entire country have a crumbling social structure, then it doesnt mean that we should follow it. However, we should know what is the foundation of a civilised society ... and recognise when that foundation (or corner stones) are missing ... whether in an individual or a group or a government. MY WHOLE AGENDA IS ABOUT ANALYSING THIS PROBLEM, DISECTING IT, LOOK DEEPER ... While doing this I do have my own position and argument.

A countries LEGAL system do not decide a bright society ... its the universal value which decides it.

Its not so difficult to understand this. If you still feel that there is not value which is universal... and that GAMBLING, DRUNKARDNESS or STRIPPING fits in into some values ... then I guess you need to make a research on this.
Anarchic freedom is not the way towards peace. And bachelor parties are a part of such freedom ...

Its a vice ... just like other vices. People who dont practice it may have other vices ... while people who practice it may have some other goodnesses. But a vice is a vice and worth trashing. It doesnt justify this vice.

We are discussing this MATTER here only ... why bring other vices... to distract?

I gave many posts earlier ... if you want to look at them again... and try to find my real intent... everything will be more easier.
I will be out of Delhi....for a week. I wont be able to reply... dont think because I didnt have words.
See you guyz after some time passes 😊
Nu_Adu thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

I love how you immediately associate the drinking, gambling et al to the west. Loved the subtle judgment calls even better.

I'm not sure where you are coming from, but I was born and raised in India - albeit in a metropolis, but all these issues you mention are very prevalent even in India, rural India too. The only problem is the issues are never really discussed or gain prominence. But all my adult life I have lived in the United States, the midwest to be more precise. Being Wisconsin there is a huge drinking culture here, but my culture shock upon moving was to discover the prominence of good old fashioned midwestern family values, the old school home town hospitality as well as cultural pride displayed by the ethnic Germans, Swiss, Norwegians that dot the midwest. Some values that I had been taught not to expect in the United States. 

Of course I agree, society and culture in the subcontinent is a lot more conservative and many of these are frowned upon if not strictly forbidden. For many families it is disreputable to be even associated with such things. I do take pride in my homeland culture and heritage, and genuinely admire the people who have the will power and mental strength to lead restrained lives.

However, my experiences have taught me that you cannot judge people, their families, their culture their values by a few vices they have or the few qualities they portray. I have seen some really despicable human beings behind the front of holiert than thoust family traditions, and I have seen some genuinely wonderful human beings who have had their share of indiscretions. I agree 101%. I wasn't judging anyone at all. I'm fully aware that many people leading strictly religious lives actually understand nothing about their faith and are pathetic from within. But that's hardly important here and is a different topic altogether!

As for your claim that I am changing the equation when it comes to family and religion, what exactly do you mean and please explain with an example of what I said or did. 😆 I didn't claim anything...I'll explain what I meant - I said that I agree with what you said in your previous post, i.e the vices in question are acceptable and fun just as long as you don't consider family values and religion. And when you do, the equation changes!

So basically to someone who cares less for the 2 aspects of life...things are totally different and I have no trouble understanding/accepting that. But that, of course, doesn't mean that all individuals without a strong/rich family history and un-religious are bad! They can still be wonderful human beings with a heart of gold! But still...don't you think the scenario is a bit different for children coming from conservative, traditional families? All human beings are not equal - some carry more responsibility than others!

Coming to family and religion, it means a lot to me as its a part of my intrinsic identity. Outside of that, I cannot view the world through the glasses of my family or my religion. To me all that matters is reason, that whatever people do be done in good sense and good reason. I'm a moral relativist, I simply cannot subscribe to a one size fits all moral theory. 

One other thing I should add is...I totally believe that a lifestyle involving all the things being discussed in this thread is a lifestyle of the West. Yes drinking, gambling and the rest have been prevalent in our homelands from centuries ago...but these were never (and are not still) an integral part of everyday living as they are over here (I live in Canada now). Such habits have always been looked down upon in our homelands, and anyone associated with them was negatively labelled. Living together and raising kids without marriage is another example of a Western influence that's started to creep into societies back home! 😊
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

I completely agree with you Nu_Adu ... but even while in the west (if North Europe can be considered as greater west), there are people who would consider having a normal, light hearted, healthy (as is accepted throughout time ... the normal defination of healthy) get together between friends.

You see ... the term "To each his/her own" does not apply to every one of his/her actions. If it would've applied like that, it would be considered a classic case of anarchy. The external world (society, when organized) must have a role to play in setting codes. Otherwise, its an anarchy.

Although it is true that there remains certain things that a person should be able to decide on his/her own ... however, the overall constitution guiding such decision should be a well understood "good" vs. "bad". For example, the best and proper application of certain instincts, minerals, material or words. Everything needs to be learnt and be aware of.

@return to hades: The glasses of ignorance is one thing, and the rope of value is another. Holding on to the rope of value is very important. "When in Rome do as the Romans do" is not always the best quote. Would you participate in throwing stones on a woman declared guilty by a sovereign countries legal system? .. just because that is the way the people of that country lead their life?

There are always those GOOD things that can be accepted into ones life from that other country ... and those BAD things which your own country taught you, you can clean it out... and vice versa. The education of GOOD vs. BAD therefore become a very big neccessity for humans. Otherwise, again, its an anarchy. WONDER IF YOU TOOK THE TIME TO READ THE POST I POSTED PREVIOUSLY TO THIS, GIVING SOME INPUT OVER YOUR THOUGHTS ... 😊

I read your previous post. The way it comes across you feel that things should be black or white. You find moderation or neutrality as unacceptable, and if such is the case there is really no point to further discussion.

There is human free will, and a personal perception of morals. At that a human being should have the ability to exercise that will to a certain extent (moderation in examples cited). That is not anarchy. An anarchist would not talk in terms of moderation for restraint, excess, and moderation are within free will of anarchy.

You have a value. You consider bachelor parties harmful to society in the long run. That is fine. You advice people against it, you discourage it. That is fine too. However, you do not leave it at that. You don't come across as someone who is merely expressing an opinion. You use very strong semantic words against bachelor parties, you equate its continuation to catastrophic to society. Your tone so far has been to actually get this practice ended or curtailed at the expense of another humans free will - simply because you perceive it as 'harmful'.

I am sorry but that is moral policing to me. I don't say it because your opinion is different. I say it because when you start saying other people ought to live their lives according to a principle you believe in - that is moral policing. I call out moral policing when people use their religion or their parents to say someone else's marriage or family or lifestyle is morally wrong. I call out moral policing when a liberal person looks down on conservatives as backward and deterrent to progress.

Either way, my FB profile has me as 'The peasant, nerd, philosopher, hippie'. I'm obviously not a good social role model. Lets just agree to disagree and peace out homie.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

I disagree with the fact that the things change with religion and family. Irrespective of religion or family, people lead their lives their best judgment. A person may come from a very religious family, but if they feel that the limits on bachelor party do not make sense or its ok as once in a lifetime - they will do it. And also because they did it does not mean they no longer care for their family or religion. People go against their family or religion all the time - its not always right or wrong - its situational.

One other thing I should add is...I totally believe that a lifestyle involving all the things being discussed in this thread is a lifestyle of the West. Yes drinking, gambling and the rest have been prevalent in our homelands from centuries ago...but these were never (and are not still) an integral part of everyday living as they are over here (I live in Canada now). Such habits have always been looked down upon in our homelands, and anyone associated with them was negatively labelled. Living together and raising kids without marriage is another example of a Western influence that's started to creep into societies back home! 😊

You should perhaps actually go study the socio-cultural history of the subcontinent. It was not until western settlers and missionaries did society become conservative the way it is. Forms of bachelor parties date back to the early Spartans and there are accounts of similar night before weddings in various other cultures.

Drinking, gambling, prostitution were not as taboo as they are today. Prostitution was prevalent and there are several accounts where young men were advised to go to prostitutes to learn how to choose a wife, how to please her and other such arts.

Even within Indian society there are groups like Punjabis and Sindhis where singing, drinking, dancing at the sangeet ceremony is prevalent. Some Indian students here joke that they have been more drunk at family events than actually at college.

I also suggest a drive sometime across the Canadian heartland - small towns in Manitoba, up the Saskatchewan and try to understand what really is an integral part of everyday living for the average person.

-Sneha thumbnail

Its not so difficult to understand this. If you still feel that there is not value which is universal... and that GAMBLING, DRUNKARDNESS or STRIPPING fits in into some values ... then I guess you need to make a research on this.
Anarchic freedom is not the way towards peace. And bachelor parties are a part of such freedom ...

Its a vice ... just like other vices. People who dont practice it may have other vices ... while people who practice it may have some other goodnesses. But a vice is a vice and worth trashing. It doesnt justify this vice.

We are discussing this MATTER here only ... why bring other vices... to distract?

I gave many posts earlier ... if you want to look at them again... and try to find my real intent... everything will be more easier.
I will be out of Delhi....for a week. I wont be able to reply... dont think because I didnt have words.
See you guyz after some time passes 😊

I am fully aware of your intent Ice-Thinker. I told you once I went through all the posts I commented on before actually writing about or on it. I am not making things up, so I'd be glad if you wouldn't assume or accuse me of doing so either.

There's one thing that you still don't get. And if you don't. I am sorry, I am surely not going to try and clarify myself better than this. If you haven't got it yet, that's your thing to tackle, not mine.

We all live in ONE society, for sure! But YOUR society is different from mine. Not only that. Your neighborhood itself is different from mine, even though we might hail from the same societies. When you say all vices are worth trashing, then would you offer to thrash some of yours, all of yours, even if they may not seem vices to you, but do to other people? There are things that are neither religious, nor moral. If your morality lies in telling people what choices to make, when you haven't been capable so far of giving 5 good reasons as to why these parties should be banned, then am sorry, I do not, and will not agree with your morality. It does not match up to mine, for that simple reason!

Either you're getting me totally wrong, or you're pretending you're not understanding. There is a difference between an opinion and a value. I have absolutely nothing against your opinion of banning bachelor parties, that's yours to keep; we both live in democratic countries am sure. But, when you say bachelor parties affect and destroy social norms and values, you're pinpointing as to what YOU think they do or will do, not to what they actually do, or will do. You're making your viewpoint an entity of a moral value or principle. That's what I am against!

One last thing, because I think it's pretty much futile to return to square one again and again... You said it wasn't too difficult to understand. I'd just like to add, that things are never difficult to understand from your viewpoint. It's when you broaden the prospects and think from diverse analytical pathways that people freak out. 😉

Enjoy your trip to Delhi. 😛
Nu_Adu thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

I disagree with the fact that the things change with religion and family. Irrespective of religion or family, people lead their lives their best judgment. A person may come from a very religious family, but if they feel that the limits on bachelor party do not make sense or its ok as once in a lifetime - they will do it. And also because they did it does not mean they no longer care for their family or religion. People go against their family or religion all the time - its not always right or wrong - its situational.

You should perhaps actually go study the socio-cultural history of the subcontinent. It was not until western settlers and missionaries did society become conservative the way it is. Forms of bachelor parties date back to the early Spartans and there are accounts of similar night before weddings in various other cultures.

Drinking, gambling, prostitution were not as taboo as they are today. Prostitution was prevalent and there are several accounts where young men were advised to go to prostitutes to learn how to choose a wife, how to please her and other such arts.

Even within Indian society there are groups like Punjabis and Sindhis where singing, drinking, dancing at the sangeet ceremony is prevalent. Some Indian students here joke that they have been more drunk at family events than actually at college.

I also suggest a drive sometime across the Canadian heartland - small towns in Manitoba, up the Saskatchewan and try to understand what really is an integral part of everyday living for the average person.

A drive across beautiful Canada sounds awesome, but honestly...I know what sort of lives those small-town people genereally lead. And perhaps their core values will even co-incide with mine! But modern Western influence is definitely bad and is affecting lives. Just as I acknowledge, appreciate and encourage the good things here...I am also clearly able to see the bad things shaping into worse things for the long run! I'll give you a recent example too:

Just last weekend I met this family who were friends with my family many many years ago. As kids I was best friends with the boy from that family...we share so many memories. But on meeting him after about 18 years I discovered things are simply not the same anymore. His only enjoyment now is being out with friends, and he thinks his dad is terribly old-fashioned and so keeps making fun of the poor old man in front of everyone. He announced he'll never marry a girl his parents pick for him and will marry whenever/whoever he pleases. He says he's not bothered about what anyone else thinks/feels. His dad just smiled and tried to take things lightly, but the pain and despair on his face was still visible.

My father almost came out of that house with tears in his eyes...he was heartbroken for his old friend.

Although one can still argue that this is not an effect of Western society and is 'fate'...I will say it is an unfortunate negative effect of the modern lifestyle here. The importance of upholding family values and culture is priceless. Nothing else measures upto it.
Posted: 13 years ago
Alright I am back...

@return_to_hades: I find MODERATION and NEUTRALITY very much acceptable. However I dont find stripping as being part of moderation ... or rightful to be neutral about disgusting and addictive acts such as Gambling and Drunkenness.

@sneha: If you could understand me ... there would never be an argument.

Infact plainly putting my detailed words: Bachelor (stud/hen) parties should be discouraged and not supported or termed valid/respectable by the civilised society. In this situation if someone still want to have such parties, they need to do that realising that the society or its structure DO NO RESPECT IT.

If possible they should be asked to pay a fine for such events ... this fine can be used for the food and clothing for the thousands of street children on the streets of almost every city in India ... who die with their teeths out in the bitter cold waves... and heartless heat waves.

I know some will say that ... 'the money can come from someplace else... bla bla'... but I think its a good step to do this... specially in a country as poverty striken as ours. Ofcourse although its impossible to know the calamity after reading the flashy magazine which calls India a great economy! Yes its getting better ... but the large amount of poor still suicide or sell their daughters/son (hey!!!... maybe one of these daughters is your stipper or the son your Gigolo 😉) ... anyways thats another discussion ... apologise for bringing that in here.

I got nothing against anyone ... just the society and the future of our children should benefit from our actions. And there are a million more refreshing and fun ways to enjoy than these grey parties.

Thanks guyz!!

Edited by Ice-Thinker - 13 years ago