Kareena's World thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago

Salman Khan in wresting show

The Shiv Sena organises a national level wrestling contest as part of its 'Mee Mumbaikar' campaign. This year's contest was graced by the likes of Bollywood stars Sunil Shetty and Salman Khan, and was unique in the sense that for the first time, male and female wrestlers have been pitted against each other.

The national-level wrestling championship was launched in association with the 'Mumbai Oopangar Taleem Mahasangh' with the purpose of uplifting the dying sport in the country.

National shooter Anjali Bhagwat also attended the event. The presence of stars sent thousands of spectators at the venue into raptures.

"Any responsible citizen of the country, it is his duty to make sure that sports that is dying in the country. It may be issues regarding sports, it may be issues regarding wildlife, it may be because of civic facilities, a celebrity has to be invited and involved to spread awareness," Sunil Shetty said.

Over 200 contestants from all over the country took part in the event.

The prize money for the winner is nearly four lakh rupees. Thousands of the locals of the city came to watch the event. The unsual thing in the competition was female and male opponent, were pitted against each other.

"I thought I could take one point. But the other contestent pulled my leg and I could not stand up. So I lose the game," said Babloo Yadav, a participant.

Shiv Sena leader Uddhav Thackarey said that wrestling could help in solving many of Mumbai problems.

"We have seen many games like cricket, football. But, it is very much exciting to see so much of crowd in a wresling match. It is the part of the 'Mee Mumbaikar' campaign, it is like that the sport has given a rebirth which was totally vanished from the society. I am confident that some of the Mumbai problems could be solved through wrestling," said Thackarey.