The kite Runner: Character discussion

**miles** thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Hey you guys, I was just thinking if we could have a small character discussion of the number one best seller The Kite runner, written by Khaled Hosseini.

• Amir
  • Hassan
  • Baba Agha
  • Ali
  • Rahim Khan
  • Sanuabar
  • Assef
  • Wali
  • Kamal
  • Mahmood
  • Soraya
  • General Sahib
  • Farid
  • Sohrab
  • Farzana
Edited by **miles** - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Originally posted by: **miles**

• Amir The protagonist of the book, told from his point of view. When Amir was young, his mental status was very different and unexplained. He was arrogant because he was educated and thus took the full advantage over Hassan. He loved Hassan no doubt, but there was an unexplained urge that he felt whenever the cast system interrupted. Would you call him arrogant or a freak, n one knows! The tragic incident of the winter of 1975 was terribly disturbing, but afterward, the way he tried to owe it up was something challenging. I basically thought Amir to be a coward when he ran away instead of saving his loyal and faithful friend getting raped. But later, many many years later, the hurdles he over took to save his friend, later his half-brother's son, was very sparking and unbelievably challenging. At the end, it was Amir who opened my eyes.
  • Hassan My favourite character in the book. A loyal and faithful servant who would stand upto the worst fo people to save his agha Amir. His love for the family and above all, his master Amir was very much enduring and ironical, considering that was what lead the book to a new genre. Illiterate at the beginning, he was way too talented and an expert when it came to kite flying. It was because of Hassan that Amir won the Kite Flying competition.
  • Baba Agha A very strict and disciplined man who cared for the poor and his country. Probably the only reason why people loved and respected him so much. But disliked the way he under-estimated his first son Amir, though after Hassan's tragedy, I compltely agreed: A man who can't stand up for himself can't stand up for anything. I blame him for not telling his sons the truth.
  • Ali Faithful and just and loyal, just like his adopted son Hassan. Very caring and loved Baba even after knowing that he slept with his wife.
  • Rahim Khan A wise man who loved Amir agha a lot, and always encouraged his talent for writing stories. I admire his moral character, but he should have told Amir in the very beginning that Hassan  was his half-brother.
  • SanuabarWell, don't know mch about her character, but appreciate her for returning to see his son Hassan.
  • Assef His mentality is very different from the rest. He is a rapist and a brutal tarquin. Basically, the reason he raped Hassan was not because he was a homosexual in character, but because he was a sociopath, which Amir himself admits. He raped Hassan out of complete dominance, he wanted to teach Hassan a lesson for calling him 'One-Eyed'Assef". He could have easily beaten up Hassan, but he wanted him to remember something for the rest of his life. Bruises can heal, but this will go on for the rest of his life. But the fact that he had raped many many children before, both boys and girls is something to do with his abnormal psychology. And the fact that he also raped Sohrab several times, is even more abnormal.
  • Wali Follower of Assef, did not rape Hassan but wanted to.
  • Kamal Same here.
  • Mahmood Father of Assef and ran after money and was very scared of his own son.
  • Soraya Caring and an understanding wife and a very matured woman, who loved Amir and his family a lot. Was not proud of her literacy but used it for god purpose, unlike Amir. The best thing I liked about her was that she told Amir about her nightmare of a past before marrying him.
  • General SahibArrogant for sure, saved Soraya's life, is a hero, but hated Amir's story or else he would not have thrown it to the waste paper basket.
  • Farid Very caring and helpful, loyal and diligent. It was because of him that Amir could rescue Sohrab.
  • Sohrab Very sweet, and courageous who tolerated Assef's inhuman treatment for may days, like raps and dancing like a woman. Personally I would have committed suicide if I were in his place. Such a disturbed history and yet so brave.
  • Farzana  Loved Hassan and Sohrab and respected Hassan like her king. Both Soraya and Farzana were very admirable.

EatPrayLove thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Well....I'll begin with Amir....and keep udating as and when I get the time...
--------------------------------------------

At the beginning, before the fateful winter of 1975 happened, Amir was very real for me. His jealousy, his feeling superior to Hassan, everything about him was real; all in all , he was just the type of characters I love to read about: grey, human.

But after the rape of Hassan was described in the novel, I thought , really, that Amir was just as bad as Assef.
Oh , all right, so he was a coward, and cowardice doesn't make a person, "bad", so to speak.
But, my problem with him was he didn't even comfort Hassan after that terrible event. Felt guilty. Just.
That was when I felt that maybe a real person in that situation would have behaved differently. Shown a little bit of sympathy, tried to indirectly comfort Hassan, make him happy again.

But though my opinion of Amir had changed after Hassan's rape, I felt that there was scope for, as the author says, "redemption".
I was disappointed.  Amir met Rahim Khan, realized that Hassan was his half-brother, and saved his son from Assef.
But I felt he was doing it all because he shared his father with Hassan. Like he wouldn't have saved Sohrab from Assef if he were just the son of  "his" hazara servant. I don't know why, but the way Hosseini wrote it, I kept on feeling that Amir was doing it all only because Sohrab was his nephew.
Plus, after saving Sohrab, he forgets all about that terrible orphanage, the hunting ground of Assef!
Of course, he wouldn't have been able to do anything substantial to save the poor children, but, atleast, he could have been shown to feel sorry about them later when he returned to America!!!

That was when I totally lost faith in Amir's character.

Will continue later.