Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Do Ethics matter?

Signora2 Goldie
Signora2
Signora2

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 6:36am | IP Logged

In 2003 Satyendra Dubey  an IIT graduate  lost his life  for speaking  against corrupt officials and contractors,  he was working with  the  National Highway  Authority of India on the  Golden Quadrilateral project , the pet project of the then  PM AB Vajpayee.  Prior to his death, he had tried to inform the high ups even the PM of India but some rotten apples in the administration leaked his name. Ultimately he was killed and his body left on the highway.    

In November 2005, Manjunathan an IIM Lucknow  pass out,  manager with Indian Oil Corporation ( PSU) lost his life  for standing up against the Oil mafia, he received death threats for ordering closure of a petrol pump selling adulterated fuel. Both brilliant guys, with middle class values of honesty and integrity instilled in them, only hope of parents who ensured good solid education would give them a head start in life. Both penalized by a system that refuses to change by rewarding the honest.  

Both could have got jobs anywhere in the world but stayed back only to lose their lives while doing a job. Who is to be blamed? Is it the insensitive system that does not reward honesty, fails to protect the whistle blowers or the middle class values and ethics? What choice do the young and upright have - to withstand it all even if it means losing ones life or opt for the safe option of going abroad? 

Edited by Signora2 - 25 November 2005 at 6:40pm

hazelgirl IF-Rockerz
hazelgirl
hazelgirl

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 9:47am | IP Logged
well.....i am waiting for indygirl to comment first Tongue Tongue
shahidlover24 IF-Sizzlerz
shahidlover24
shahidlover24

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 11:44am | IP Logged
I really don't know who is to blame...both of those guys seemed really brave though. I guess in order for you to stand up for something, you need to have a lot of people support you so that you are not alone in the matter.
~*kRiTu*~ Goldie
~*kRiTu*~
~*kRiTu*~

Posted: 25 November 2005 at 9:45pm | IP Logged
its totaly onez choice, if he/she feels that they gotta dedicate their life to their job then go ahead die, but if u care more bout ur family, then i guess the 2nd option is better Tongue
Rindam Senior Member
Rindam
Rindam

Posted: 26 November 2005 at 9:44pm | IP Logged

Cry Hun, I know it feels horrible Cry .
I dont know what to say because its so hard.
I just had to post to commend these two great men and atleast say "Thank You" for bring so brave and say "Sorry" becaue I am from India and I suck because there is nothing I could do about it-

Had to add what i felt again, these two words aint helping anyone except me, damn it-

Edited by Rindam - 26 November 2005 at 9:45pm
Angeleyes 2 IF-Sizzlerz
Angeleyes 2
Angeleyes 2

Posted: 26 November 2005 at 11:04pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by kool_gal

its totaly onez choice, if he/she feels that they gotta dedicate their life to their job then go ahead die, but if u care more bout ur family, then i guess the 2nd option is better Tongue

true

Aparna_BD IF-Dazzler
Aparna_BD
Aparna_BD

Posted: 30 November 2005 at 8:10am | IP Logged
Thats a tough call to make Signora2 !!Ethics should have a high place in every one's life . But unfortunately that can't be expected of all . There always will be honest people like Satyendar and Manjunathan . And there will also be corrupt officals.

You may have heard of the V.Plame case , an undercover CIA agents who's name was leaked to the press !! So there was someone in the administration who was a whistle blower .

Its a tragedy that it happens !! But people who belive in ethics will not still compromise these values no matter what !!
jasunap IF-Sizzlerz
jasunap
jasunap

Posted: 01 December 2005 at 6:13am | IP Logged
that sure is herculean task signora2. to choose.everybody has to die someday! people with ethics will die a martyrs death and the whistle blowers will always die a traitors death! there are no two ways about that either.

and rindam your sentence "I just had to post to commend these two great men and atleast say "Thank You" for bring so brave and say "Sorry" becaue I am from India and I suck because there is nothing I could do about it-"

this has nothing to do with being indian or in india. this happens the world over! they were brave men, i agree and i commend their stance too! but it sucks no matter who the whistle blower is, and it is a matter of pride no matter what nationality the principled person is from - russian, american, afghan or indian!

Edited by jasunap - 02 December 2005 at 12:40am

Go to top