Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin General Discussion

jassi talk

rits_p Newbie
rits_p
rits_p

Posted: 03 February 2005 at 2:33pm | IP Logged
WHY EVERYONE WANTS TO BE LIKE JASSI
BY AMBILY MADHU MENON (Contributor)

27 January 2005 What's needed to take the Indian television industry by storm? A pair of thick-framed glasses, braces to adorn your teeth, the salwar-kameez as the uniform and sheer luck. And Mona Singh just got lucky.

TopSend this page to a friendThe model plays, Jassi (Jasmeet Walia) in one of Indian television's most popular serial Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahi (There's none like Jassi). The audience has simply lapped up the simple girl making Jassi a stand-out character on contemporary Indian TV. But what also adds to the aura of the character is that the actor, Mona Singh, has been kept under wraps. Mona  plays the character not only in the serial but also extends her role into real life, making public appearances as Jassi. It won't be wrong to say, she eats, sleeps and drinks Jassi. The actor who is in Dubai as part of the 10th DSF spoke exclusively to City Times about her dream-run and more. xcerpts: 

Is it your first travel outside India as Jassi?

No it's not, though it's my first visit to Dubai as Jassi. 

And Mona Singh?

I don't know about her... 

Were you wearing this Jassi uniform while you were flying to Dubai? You might have attracted a lot of stares, I believe.

Yes, I did. But it was good fun. I was chatting with all my fans and they were asking me about what's going to happen next (in the serial). It was exciting. 

You are here as a part of the 10th DSF. What's on your agenda?

I have been invited by the DSF to promote the shopping festival and also have a nice time, meet my fans, sign autographs for them and shop. 

The crowd-puller?

Yes... 

So what is it that Jassi wants to shop for?

I want to buy things for my parents (in the show) and of course Nandu (Jassi's fast friend in the serial) and everybody else has given me a long shopping list. I hope I manage to get the time to buy all that. 

And what does Mona Singh like shopping?

I don't know... 

Is Jassi like Mona Singh?

I think it's better to talk about Jassi and not Mona.   

In one of your previous interviews, you said that Mona Singh relates to Jassi. What is it that she finds so interesting about Jassi?

I've never given an interview like that saying that Mona Singh relates to Jassi. But yes as a person, I really do relate to the character of Jassi, because most of the times I really don't feel that I have to act. It just comes naturally. Because the kind of relation that I share with my father in the serial is much like the kind of relation I share with my father in real life. So it does not get that difficult. But since it is my first time on screen, I have to be slightly different and more dedicated towards the role. 

You are a model, an ex-miss India contestant and an ad-girl. What on earth convinced you to do this role?

I was never into modelling and have never taken part in any Miss India contest. This has been my first break and to do it in this get-up was the most challenging thing for me. A protagonist with such simple, plain-Jane look is the first on the Indian television screen. And I guess, that was the most exciting thing about this role. 

And you struck gold with your very first role. Honestly was this the kind of role you wanted to make a debut with. For most of the girls who wish to take up acting, their dream-debut role would be this gorgeous looking girl, who has guys drooling all over her and girls jealous of her.

I never thought that I would actually act, but it was always a dream. 

I always wanted to do something very different. I didn't know what it would be like. So this was the most amazing role that came my way and there were no second thoughts at all. 

You would never have expected this kind of a success too.

No, not really. 

So does the credit for the success of this serial then go to Jassi, the character or Mona Singh the actor?

It's basically Jassi and also the actor. Because there's always a give and take thing between the two. I had to study the character to be the character. So I guess it is the actor also who deserves the credit. 

What is that one thing you think that endears Jassi to the audience?

It's her simplicity and the kind of person she is. She  is never bothered about the way she looks, she knows what she wants in life, she is very confident and at the same time at home, she is the most loveable kid. 

But don't you think there is also another side to it. The audience is actually waiting for that one thing to happen; the proverbial ugly duckling transforming herself into a beautiful swan. They know it is going to happen, it's the same old trick...

We've been talking about a Naya saal, Nayi Jassi. We've been talking about her mental makeover. But where the physical makeover is concerned, all I can say is that the journey has begun. 

Do you think it would be prudent to trust people when they say that they have met a Jassi in real life. How is it possible to find a girl who looks like Jassi and who makes it to the top of the fashion world. Considering the fact that she is not so manipulative, so shrewd, probably not a go-getter.

Actually it does happen in real life also. There is a Secretaries Organisation in Delhi where I met a few people. They were also very plain looking. They told me that they started at a low level and now they are senior secretaries and assistants and financial heads. So they can very much relate to the story of Jassi and which is why they take to the character so much. As for Jassi, she is in the fashion industry not for fashion, but for work. So it does happen without being manipulative and shrewd. You just have to be intelligent. 

You've in a way become an icon? Do you realise that you have so much power in your hand. The power to influence people, opinion...

Yes, I do realise that, which is why I am more dedicated to the role. Because a lot of people are watching and they would like to be like Jassi some day. During a recent visit to Delhi, a lot of people told me, I hope my kid is like Jassi, my daughter turns out to be like Jassi. It's amazing. 

So they are talking about Jassi the character, not the looks?

Probably not the looks, but the character for sure. 

The look bit has definitely played a crucial role in making the serial so popular. If Jassi had a different look, do you think it would have been the same success story?

No I don't think so. Because a lot of people all over the world are very ordinary or plain-looking. People took to this character because she is not just talking about her looks and being beautiful. Most people think that only if you are pretty can you be successful. We are trying to show that's not the case. 

Jassi has catapulted you to stardom. And there have to be producers making a beeline to get you to act in their serials. How many tempting roles have you refused so far?

Not much. Because most of the people know that I have a contract with Sony so maybe they are waiting for my contract to get over and then get in touch with me. 

But there would be at least one or two such roles that you might have thought, 'O God! I want to do that'?

No, I guess this is a dream role. Anybody would like to do this kind of a role and I'm enjoying every day of it. 

So the present for you is all hunky-dory, you seem happy. There's also a future, which would also be 'Life after Jassi'. What would it be like?

I haven't really planned because right now I am just concentrating on this. 

Do you think you will ever be able to grow out of Jassi's image. Will Mona Singh find herself trapped once she wants to get out of that role and do other roles?

Not at all. It is the actor who has to act. You don't have to get out of a character to get into any other character.  If the serial is getting over, I will take up some other role and I am sure I will be able to do that. It is not that I am trapped in Jassi's character. 

Because here I am also talking about the kind of image you have in public, probably people relate to Jassi the character and not Mona Singh.  Will Mona Singh find things difficult post Jassi?

I guess that's the advantage because she is a new person then. So she can do whatever she wants to. 

But she will then be one among many?

Yes...so may be start afresh... 

But if we were to look at the history of Indian television, there have been actors like Arun Govil, Mukesh Khanna, Dipika Chikalia, who've played some very significant and successful characters on Indian television. But at the end of it people identified them as the characters and not as themselves. So do you think that the audience will find it difficult to accept you in any other role?

I would never want to break the image of Jassi. If they want to call  me Jassi, I am okay with it. I wouldn't want to say, I am not Jassi, the serial is over and I don't like being called the character anymore. I would love it. So there is nothing like, I wish to break the image to do something different to show people, this is what I can do too. I love each day of this role and the get-up. 

Do you ever think this particular character/role would be a block for you?

Not at all. In this particular role, I have done so many things. The character has grown from day one. She was always treated like a door-mat earlier, she never had the confidence to answer back or argue, but now she is doing that. 

You have a huge fan following among kids. Tell me what was  your childhood dream?

It was always acting. But I didn't know how to go about it, because my dad was in the Army and I always believed that to get into Mumbai and acting and making it big, you have to have contacts which I never had. So I guess, I was lucky enough to get  this role. But yes as a child I used to keep entertaining my family by making funny faces. 

When you get a break from playing Jassi, the character, what is it that you like to do in your spare time?

I hardly get a day off. But whenever I do, I make it a point to take my parents out somewhere or meet my friends or cook at home and catch up with my sleep. 

Lastly, Jassi despite her looks, has been embraced by the audience. Do you think looks actually matter in  success?

I don't think so. If you are a good actor and are lucky enough to make it big, that's enough. Looks really don't matter. 

And what about people outside the acting fraternity?

This holds true for all. 

But then looks would be an advantage?

It definitely would be. But I don't think a person like Jassi would think like that. 

And what does Mona Singh think about that?

(Laughs) No comments.

27 January 2005 What's needed to take the Indian television industry by storm? A pair of thick-framed glasses, braces to adorn your teeth, the salwar-kameez as the uniform and sheer luck. And Mona Singh just got lucky.

TopSend this page to a friendThe model plays, Jassi (Jasmeet Walia) in one of Indian television's most popular serial Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahi (There's none like Jassi). The audience has simply lapped up the simple girl making Jassi a stand-out character on contemporary Indian TV. But what also adds to the aura of the character is that the actor, Mona Singh, has been kept under wraps. Mona  plays the character not only in the serial but also extends her role into real life, making public appearances as Jassi. It won't be wrong to say, she eats, sleeps and drinks Jassi. The actor who is in Dubai as part of the 10th DSF spoke exclusively to City Times about her dream-run and more. xcerpts: 

And Mona Singh?

Were you wearing this Jassi uniform while you were flying to Dubai? You might have attracted a lot of stares, I believe.

Yes, I did. But it was good fun. I was chatting with all my fans and they were asking me about what's going to happen next (in the serial). It was exciting. 

I have been invited by the DSF to promote the shopping festival and also have a nice time, meet my fans, sign autographs for them and shop. 

The crowd-puller?

Yes... 

I want to buy things for my parents (in the show) and of course Nandu (Jassi's fast friend in the serial) and everybody else has given me a long shopping list. I hope I manage to get the time to buy all that. 

I don't know... 

In one of your previous interviews, you said that Mona Singh relates to Jassi. What is it that she finds so interesting about Jassi?

I've never given an interview like that saying that Mona Singh relates to Jassi. But yes as a person, I really do relate to the character of Jassi, because most of the times I really don't feel that I have to act. It just comes naturally. Because the kind of relation that I share with my father in the serial is much like the kind of relation I share with my father in real life. So it does not get that difficult. But since it is my first time on screen, I have to be slightly different and more dedicated towards the role. 

You are a model, an ex-miss India contestant and an ad-girl. What on earth convinced you to do this role?

I was never into modelling and have never taken part in any Miss India contest. This has been my first break and to do it in this get-up was the most challenging thing for me. A protagonist with such simple, plain-Jane look is the first on the Indian television screen. And I guess, that was the most exciting thing about this role. 

And you struck gold with your very first role. Honestly was this the kind of role you wanted to make a debut with. For most of the girls who wish to take up acting, their dream-debut role would be this gorgeous looking girl, who has guys drooling all over her and girls jealous of her.

I always wanted to do something very different. I didn't know what it would be like. So this was the most amazing role that came my way and there were no second thoughts at all. 

No, not really. 

So does the credit for the success of this serial then go to Jassi, the character or Mona Singh the actor?

It's basically Jassi and also the actor. Because there's always a give and take thing between the two. I had to study the character to be the character. So I guess it is the actor also who deserves the credit. 

It's her simplicity and the kind of person she is. She  is never bothered about the way she looks, she knows what she wants in life, she is very confident and at the same time at home, she is the most loveable kid. 

But don't you think there is also another side to it. The audience is actually waiting for that one thing to happen; the proverbial ugly duckling transforming herself into a beautiful swan. They know it is going to happen, it's the same old trick...

We've been talking about a Naya saal, Nayi Jassi. We've been talking about her mental makeover. But where the physical makeover is concerned, all I can say is that the journey has begun. 

Do you think it would be prudent to trust people when they say that they have met a Jassi in real life. How is it possible to find a girl who looks like Jassi and who makes it to the top of the fashion world. Considering the fact that she is not so manipulative, so shrewd, probably not a go-getter.

Actually it does happen in real life also. There is a Secretaries Organisation in Delhi where I met a few people. They were also very plain looking. They told me that they started at a low level and now they are senior secretaries and assistants and financial heads. So they can very much relate to the story of Jassi and which is why they take to the character so much. As for Jassi, she is in the fashion industry not for fashion, but for work. So it does happen without being manipulative and shrewd. You just have to be intelligent. 

You've in a way become an icon? Do you realise that you have so much power in your hand. The power to influence people, opinion...

Yes, I do realise that, which is why I am more dedicated to the role. Because a lot of people are watching and they would like to be like Jassi some day. During a recent visit to Delhi, a lot of people told me, I hope my kid is like Jassi, my daughter turns out to be like Jassi. It's amazing. 

The look bit has definitely played a crucial role in making the serial so popular. If Jassi had a different look, do you think it would have been the same success story?

No I don't think so. Because a lot of people all over the world are very ordinary or plain-looking. People took to this character because she is not just talking about her looks and being beautiful. Most people think that only if you are pretty can you be successful. We are trying to show that's not the case. 

Jassi has catapulted you to stardom. And there have to be producers making a beeline to get you to act in their serials. How many tempting roles have you refused so far?

Not much. Because most of the people know that I have a contract with Sony so maybe they are waiting for my contract to get over and then get in touch with me. 

But there would be at least one or two such roles that you might have thought, 'O God! I want to do that'?

No, I guess this is a dream role. Anybody would like to do this kind of a role and I'm enjoying every day of it. 

So the present for you is all hunky-dory, you seem happy. There's also a future, which would also be 'Life after Jassi'. What would it be like?

Do you think you will ever be able to grow out of Jassi's image. Will Mona Singh find herself trapped once she wants to get out of that role and do other roles?

Not at all. It is the actor who has to act. You don't have to get out of a character to get into any other character.  If the serial is getting over, I will take up some other role and I am sure I will be able to do that. It is not that I am trapped in Jassi's character. 

Because here I am also talking about the kind of image you have in public, probably people relate to Jassi the character and not Mona Singh.  Will Mona Singh find things difficult post Jassi?

I guess that's the advantage because she is a new person then. So she can do whatever she wants to. 

But if we were to look at the history of Indian television, there have been actors like Arun Govil, Mukesh Khanna, Dipika Chikalia, who've played some very significant and successful characters on Indian television. But at the end of it people identified them as the characters and not as themselves. So do you think that the audience will find it difficult to accept you in any other role?

I would never want to break the image of Jassi. If they want to call  me Jassi, I am okay with it. I wouldn't want to say, I am not Jassi, the serial is over and I don't like being called the character anymore. I would love it. So there is nothing like, I wish to break the image to do something different to show people, this is what I can do too. I love each day of this role and the get-up. 

Not at all. In this particular role, I have done so many things. The character has grown from day one. She was always treated like a door-mat earlier, she never had the confidence to answer back or argue, but now she is doing that. 

You have a huge fan following among kids. Tell me what was  your childhood dream?

It was always acting. But I didn't know how to go about it, because my dad was in the Army and I always believed that to get into Mumbai and acting and making it big, you have to have contacts which I never had. So I guess, I was lucky enough to get  this role. But yes as a child I used to keep entertaining my family by making funny faces. 

When you get a break from playing Jassi, the character, what is it that you like to do in your spare time?

I hardly get a day off. But whenever I do, I make it a point to take my parents out somewhere or meet my friends or cook at home and catch up with my sleep. 

Lastly, Jassi despite her looks, has been embraced by the audience. Do you think looks actually matter in  success?

I don't think so. If you are a good actor and are lucky enough to make it big, that's enough. Looks really don't matter. 

This holds true for all. 

It definitely would be. But I don't think a person like Jassi would think like that. 

(Laughs) No comments.

And Mona Singh?

The crowd-puller?

Yes... 

I don't know... 

No, not really. 

This holds true for all. 

(Laughs) No comments.

TopSend this page to a friend

< code=http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0 height=520 =6 width=120 id=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000 VIEWASTEXT>< NAME="_cx" VALUE="3175">< NAME="_cy" VALUE="13758">< NAME="FlashVars" VALUE="">< NAME="Movie" VALUE="/banners/shaadi/shaadi161204_120x520.swf">< NAME="Src" VALUE="/banners/shaadi/shaadi161204_120x520.swf">< NAME="WMode" VALUE="Window">< NAME="Play" VALUE="-1">< NAME="Loop" VALUE="-1">< NAME="Quality" VALUE="High">< NAME="SAlign" VALUE="">< NAME="Menu" VALUE="-1">< NAME="" VALUE="">< NAME="AllowAccess" VALUE="always">< NAME="Scale" VALUE="ShowAll">< NAME="DeviceFont" VALUE="0">< NAME="Movie" VALUE="0">< NAME="BGColor" VALUE="">< NAME="SWRemote" VALUE="">< NAME="Movie" VALUE="">< NAME="SeamlessTabbing" VALUE="1"> < src="/banners/shaadi/shaadi161204_120x520.swf" quality=high pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" ="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="120" height="520" =6> </> </>

< code=http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0 height=520 =6 width=120 id=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000 VIEWASTEXT>< NAME="_cx" VALUE="3175">< NAME="_cy" VALUE="13758">< NAME="FlashVars" VALUE="">< NAME="Movie" VALUE="/banners/shaadi/shaadi161204_120x520.swf">< NAME="Src" VALUE="/banners/shaadi/shaadi161204_120x520.swf">< NAME="WMode" VALUE="Window">< NAME="Play" VALUE="-1">< NAME="Loop" VALUE="-1">< NAME="Quality" VALUE="High">< NAME="SAlign" VALUE="">< NAME="Menu" VALUE="-1">< NAME="" VALUE="">< NAME="AllowAccess" VALUE="always">< NAME="Scale" VALUE="ShowAll">< NAME="DeviceFont" VALUE="0">< NAME="Movie" VALUE="0">< NAME="BGColor" VALUE="">< NAME="SWRemote" VALUE="">< NAME="Movie" VALUE="">< NAME="SeamlessTabbing" VALUE="1"> < src="/banners/shaadi/shaadi161204_120x520.swf" quality=high pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" ="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="120" height="520" =6> </> </>

cowz_lover Senior Member
cowz_lover
cowz_lover

Posted: 03 February 2005 at 2:40pm | IP Logged
thank u
jprasad IF-Rockerz
jprasad
jprasad

Posted: 03 February 2005 at 3:16pm | IP Logged
thanks for the article...though I think you may have posted it one
too many times!   Tongue
*~Sapna~* IF-Rockerz