Sania-Usa

Posted: 03 February 2005 at 1:24pm | IP Logged
Mouli turns idealist
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   January 24, 2005

shaheen@mid-day.com
Apolitical: Mouli Ganguly
Pic: Vijayanand Gupta
As Shaina in Kahiin Kissi Roz (Star Plus) and, later, in the title role of Saaksshi (Sony), Mouli Ganguly played diverse roles of a rich daughter-in-law and a middle-class girl with rare aspirations respectively.

Now, she will be seen in two dailies — Manish Goswami's Swaarth and Ekta Kapoor's Kkusum.

Here she tells us about her new roles and more…

In Swaarth you have a no-nonsense kind of role?
Yes. I play Krittika, a young widow, who is forced to marry, in order to serve the political ambitions of the family. She could not marry the person she loved as he is the son of an opposition leader. Though everyone around me is very political, I am apolitical.

I believe in taking up social causes rather than the quest for political power. Krittika is the morally upright, telling-it-in-your-face character. She believes in social work and the NGOs. She will be in Fabindia kind of clothes; lots of vegetables dye prints and kurtas — that kind of a look.

And as Vidhi in Kkusum (Sony)?
At the moment I have shot for only two days for Kkusum. I made my entry in Thursday's episode. I am supposed to be the love interest of Soham (Ejaz Khan) in the serial. There I will be the sari-clad glam woman as in Balaji soaps.

That means you will now juggle two daily soaps?
This is the first time I am doing important roles in two dailies. At the moment I am shooting for Swaarth; once it goes on air, I will have to balance it along with Kkusum.

What went wrong with your earlier serial Saakshi (Sony)?
Viewers found it to be extremely dry. Maybe they did not want to see Saakshi's struggle set in a middle-class family. In soaps, the audience does not want reality.

The woman viewers, especially, do not want to see what they experience in their daily grind, they are so used to those glam saas-bahu soaps. Also, the weekend slot did not work; there are not too many takers for weekend soaps.

What about the big screen? Any offers post Rituparno Ghosh's Raincoat?
There were, but nothing as such came of it. There was this offer to play second lead to a big star. But then I thought where would I be? Would it be performance-oriented? Would I get important scenes? For the moment, I am content doing television.

shaheen@mid-day.com

Who is Mouli Ganguly?

* Made her debut on the small screen in Manish Goswami's Milan

* Though she has done several soaps, she is best remembered as Shaina of Kahiin Kissi Roz (Star Plus)

* Was last seen in the title role of Saakshi (Sony)

* Had done a couple of Bengali films an d was in Rituparno Ghosh's Hindi film Raincoat

Titled: Manish Goswami
What is Swaarth?

This daily soap, produced by Manish Goswami, is slated to air on Zee next month. Written by Shobhaa De, it stars Divya Seth, Rohit and Ronit Roy, Mouli Ganguly, Tisca Chopra.

This political drama has the main protagonist as the chief minister besides his wife and their three children. It takes on the relationships among the family members in the backdrop of the power struggle. The Goswami-De team had earlier done Kittie Party (Zee).

Incidentally, the Swaarth title was a subject of discussion with Aaj and Sarkar being the names tossed around. "Swaarth is the title and that's final," informs Goswami.

< name=frmRating>
</>

meghavi IF-Rockerz
meghavi
meghavi

Posted: 03 February 2005 at 3:22pm | IP Logged
Thx for the article
mango Global Moderator
mango
mango

Posted: 03 February 2005 at 3:26pm | IP Logged
thanx for the article