Joined: 09 March 2010
MKV (Matroska Video) is a popular format for online video distribution (particularly through BitTorrent networks and all). Nowadays people can easily download various sorts of MKV files online free of charge. However, all of the MKV videos can't be directly played in many system built-in players, and need to be converted to other formats. This article here will introduce to you what is MKV, how to play MKV videos and convert them with iFunia MKV converter on Mac.
What is MKV
MKV (.MKV), is a new video and audio container format called Matroska that similiar to other containers like ASF, AVI, MP4, and 3GP in conception, but with several new features like support for OGG audio, Variable Framerate Video. It aims to become the standard of multimedia container formats, it contains three file types: MKV for video files (including audios and subtitles); MKS for subtitles (only subtitles); MKA for audio files only. It is an open and free container format, which can keep a number of video, audio, picture subtitle components in just one file. To store HD video files is the most common use of MKV files.
How to play MKV files on Mac
I recommend trying either MPlayer OS X or VLC Media Player. They are all free.
These excellent and free multimedia players can tackle many of the video formats unknown to QuickTime. They contain a decoder to decode the .MKV files. They will also play many of the formats you will find inside the .MKV file.
How to convert MKV to AVI, MOV, FLV, PS3 and MP4 on MAC
1. Run iFunia MKV Converter for Mac and add MKV video files
Download and run MKV converter, then Click "Add" button to input MKV files to this program.
2. Select format and set destination folder
Select whatever format you want in the drop-down list of "Format". To play the video with QuickTime, you can select MP4 or MOV. To sync to your portable devices, you can select MP4 or 3GP. To edit with iMovie, you can select MP4 or MOV. To upload to video website, you can select FLV. To view .mkv files on your PS3 then select PS3 MP4. At the same time, specify a directory on your computer to save the output files.
3. Set output settings
You can change the output settings as you need by clicking "Settings". Remember that the output file size mostly depends on the Bitrate you set. Larger Bitrate, larger file size. Actually video with bitrate as 768 is acceptable for watching.
4. Press "Convert" button to start converting
The convert progress bar shows you how much of the encoding is completed. The encoding time will depend on several variables including: the duration of the video file, the speed of your computer, what other activity your computer is currently doing and the bitrate you set. Sure it is without the problem of audio-video out of sync.
* Batch conversion. You can add as many videos as you want for MKV to popular file formats batch conversion.
* Merge to one single file. If you want to output one single file for easily playing on iPod, iPhone, PSP, Zune, and many other popular digital players for playback on the go, simply click on the video titles you'd like to merge , then click 'Merge' button and uncheck the former separate files if you just need the single merged video file. You may see the image below to have an idea.
* Add watermarks. If you want to add watermarks to your videos as your own logo or just for fun, you can make it in the "edit"-> "Enable Watermark". You are able to add text and images to your original videos as watermarks.
After all are over, you get the MKV videos you want to enjoy as your wishes. Have fun and hope this helps everyone out there.
IF Crazy Reincarnated Baby
Joined: 12 January 2009
Joined: 25 December 2008
Joined: 26 April 2010
Joined: 15 April 2010
Joined: 02 August 2010
|Topics||Topic Starter||Replies||Views||Last Post|
|Download and Convert online *.flv video to 3GP on||zisel||6||4069||15 April 2010 at 2:22am
|convert videos||rosha||5||462||16 July 2009 at 6:34pm