Punjabi Channel

Ratio of girls to boys in Punjab

simran1285 thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
 I wanted to have a discussion here regarding the sad state of affairs re: girl babies in Punjab. I recently came to know from my cousins in Amritsar that there are 7 girls to 10 boys in Punjab and due to abortions the number is dropping fast. I was so saddned with the news that I did some research and found several articles stating that Punjab is the top 5 states to have fewer girls than boys, due to women aborting.

It just saddens how even in the 21st century Punjabi families are still discriminating against female fetuses. When women in many other parts in India are thriving and gaining equality it's terrible that Punjab is lagging behind, especially since most of the people in Punjab are Sikhs and sikhism and our gurus have clearly said all men and women are equal.

What do you all feel about this? Please see below articles for proof.

http://www.rediff.com/news/2004/jun/22girls.htm

http://nitawriter.wordpress.com/2006/09 ... f-affairs/

For example, the ratio of women to men in the Indian states of Punjab and Haryana, which happen to be among the country's richest, is a remarkably low 0.86 (I got this from the article below)

http://ucatlas.ucsc.edu/gender/Sen100M.html

http://www.merinews.com/article/punjab- ... 0126.shtml

http://www.ideajournal.com/articles.php?id=37

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Star_on_earth thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
well i m not surprised...even if some women do not abort their female child...with the birth of a girl they are not as happy as they would be if a son was born..

forget about 21st century i used to think only people in punjab have this mentality...but i was shocked to know that punjabi's living abroad are no different....they call themselves modern but yet have this outdated thinking that its only a boy can make them happy..no matter how nikama or self-centered he may be..

it is really sad..but i see no change happening in this regard...why punjabi's refuse to accept girls as equal to boys is a biggest mystery to me!!!

simran1285 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Star_on_earth

well i m not surprised...even if some women do not abort their female child...with the birth of a girl they are not as happy as they would be if a son was born..

forget about 21st century i used to think only people in punjab have this mentality...but i was shocked to know that punjabi's living abroad are no different....they call themselves modern but yet have this outdated thinking that its only a boy can make them happy..no matter how nikama or self-centered he may be..

it is really sad..but i see no change happening in this regard...why punjabi's refuse to accept girls as equal to boys is a biggest mystery to me!!!

Ok since you have mentioned Punjabi's abroad I wil comment that I agree. I know someone who at 37 risked her health to give birth to a baby boy 13 years after her daughter. Everyone in her family wanted her to have a boy and lo and behold several IVF treatments later she was pregnant. not only did she put her own life at risk but she also put her babies life at risk due to which the child was born with several complications and still sufferes today (god bless)

I was quite apalled by their behavior especially when they have a daughter who is extremely smart and so well behaved. She is a daughter who will always do her parents proud but of course they were not satisfied.
-Pinky- thumbnail
^OMG thats awful!! hard to believe that some people would go to that extend just for a boy.

it's sad that punjabi's feel that way about girls.. ..like come on..what world are they living in!😕 is there anything that boys do that girl's can't? i don't think so!
-Pinky- thumbnail
wait...isn't it illegal to find out the gender of the baby before delivery in india??
Star_on_earth thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: simran1285

Ok since you have mentioned Punjabi's abroad I wil comment that I agree. I know someone who at 37 risked her health to give birth to a baby boy 13 years after her daughter. Everyone in her family wanted her to have a boy and lo and behold several IVF treatments later she was pregnant. not only did she put her own life at risk but she also put her babies life at risk due to which the child was born with several complications and still sufferes today (god bless)

thats terrrible!!!!! but still people would never learn!

I was quite apalled by their behavior especially when they have a daughter who is extremely smart and so well behaved. She is a daughter who will always do her parents proud but of course they were not satisfied.

no matter wat all a daughter does for her parents...it will never be enough for them!

punjabi_qt26 thumbnail
It's just soo sad that parents JUST WANT BOYS ( most that have a indian mentality) ! i have someone in my family who has 3 daughters. but, she wont stop til she has a boy because she wants to make her family happy. they also just want a boy because they think that you just marry off daughters and that their will be no one to carry on their name without a boy in the family. it makes me sad to think that this still goes on even after, girls have made such efforts to stand up and become equal to men.
i think its sharemful that their are people like that today. their ruining the name of the culture. and its sad that it still happens today in Punjab and abroad. i really hope that it won't happen with the new generation emerging tho. Edited by Sab93 - 14 years ago
simran1285 thumbnail
Originally posted by: -Pinky-

wait...isn't it illegal to find out the gender of the baby before delivery in india??

No one follows the legalities in India especially not in places as Punjab. I do believe however, that they have put a ban on sonograms recently.
simran1285 thumbnail
Originally posted by: punjabi_qt26

It's just soo sad that parents JUST WANT BOYS ( most that have a indian mentality) ! i have someone in my family who has 3 daughters. but, she wont stop til she has a boy because she wants to make her family happy. they also just want a boy because they think that you just marry off daughters and that their will be no one to carry on their name without a boy in the family. it makes me sad to think that this still goes on even after, girls have made such efforts to stand up and become equal to men.

One of my relatives delievered a boy during her 5th pregnancy. She was pregnant 4 times before with girls, they aborted 2 and gave birth to 2. The whole family is now over the moon with the boy. It's a bit sick actually.