Post Reply New Post

Page 9 of 36

debayon

IF-Sizzlerz

debayon

Posted: 06 June 2010 at 4:14pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Mister.K.

Originally posted by debayon

I believe in immediate cause and effect or a scientific cause and effect, such as the long term effect of smoking is lung cancer, not a prolonged cause and effect.

If big bang was the cause (14 billion years ago) and Cosmic microwave background radiation is the effect that we could observe even today, then that's a long term cause and effect scenario to me. If a giant star explodes (the cause) and new galaxies form (the effect) billions of years later, that too is a long term cause and effect.
But that also comes into a scientific cause and effect, does it not? There is proof behind that.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Karma and God (Page 9)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

debayon

IF-Sizzlerz

debayon

Posted: 06 June 2010 at 4:15pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by xobile

Hey mister K

I dont get what you're saying ConfusedOuch
He is comparing the various scenarios of when things are certain and when things are chance.

Edited by debayon - 06 June 2010 at 4:15pm

Mister.K.

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 06 June 2010 at 4:17pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

xobile

IF-Rockerz

xobile

Posted: 06 June 2010 at 4:20pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by debayon

Hey mister K

I dont get what you're saying ConfusedOuch
He is comparing the various scenarios of when things are certain and when things are chance.

Hmm I think that's interesting because it throws light on an important aspect of the Karma theory in Hindu thinking.

Karma theory just assures you that you will sow what you reap. (I never remember the right way round for that expression lol)

So you put in the seeds, and you will get the plant of those seeds. Tomato seeds > tomato plant.

BUT you don't know how big the plant will be. That's an external decision... Which is why you need a decisionmaker like God in the Hindu Karma theory.

Edited by xobile - 06 June 2010 at 4:22pm

Mister.K.

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 06 June 2010 at 4:24pm | IP Logged

Mister.K.

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 06 June 2010 at 4:31pm | IP Logged

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 06 June 2010 at 4:48pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by qwertyesque

Originally posted by Summer3

Originally posted by Believe

Originally posted by karandel_2008

I saw some interest in MOTW for karma discussion thus I am bumping this thread for discussion.

There are many versions of karma: Your versions of Karma and then Karma A, Karma B, etc.

So you people believe in which theory?
You do it and it is finished....thats why I believe..the action comes out of your present awareness... it is not karma,.....if it comes out of the past it is binding, it is karma...Smile
It is said that we are born to clear outstanding karma (good and bad karma); problem is that fresh karma is created each and every day. Another problem is that the plus points and and minus points cannot be used to cancell each other out.
But following spiritual life karma can be burnt and cancelled.
I believe the seed of karma is desire. Desire for something keeps us moving and living and wanting. Desire first arises as a thought very often.
this is a belief only amongst hindius alone.. I am not sure how other religion reconcile across the death barrier.. I am not sure if they even believe in coming back leave alone coming back as a monkey!!????

Most major religions are built upon the premise that there is life beyond this life. In the beliefs of some religions, once you die in this world you will live on for eternity in heaven or hell.
See there is a difference most religion says you do good you go to heaven and if you do bad you go to hell.. this is really elementary.. Karma as originally  defined in the hindu religion is more than that,.. it is a cycle of rebirths for bad doings  till one has reformed oneself... this also factors in reincarnation for incomplete karmas... etc.so this word shouldnt be loosely used in its meaning. to indicate simple cause and effect. I would say define Karma before we start making interpretations about it.... Pop culture has transformed the meaning of karma to mean something fashionable...
karma has say about humans and not about science..

Edited by qwertyesque - 06 June 2010 at 4:55pm

xobile

IF-Rockerz

xobile

Posted: 06 June 2010 at 4:50pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Mister.K.

Tomato seeds > tomato plant.

That almost sounds like a certain event. But anything could go wrong. Some one could have mixed tomato seeds with bell pepper's. The plant could die before it had a chance to grow because it wasn't watered well. There could have been an earth quake right where I planted the seeds. And so on.

I know what is a probable outcome. But I will not guarantee anything. Because, I am leaving it up to chance.

On the other hand, karma theorists tell me (AFTER THE EVENT) that the outcome is because of so-and-so reason. And they say it was bound to happen. That's where their theory blows up in my face.

Hmm that's reverse karma.... Actually I just wrote a reply to your post about how accusations of determinism can crop up if people start thinking of karma in reverse. But then I forgot to post that reply D'oh

Yhh we can't say that something happened because of something in the past - and we use God as the way out of explaining the rationally inexplicable...

Post Reply New Post

Go to top