Chat Clubs

The Reading Group-Invites ONLY- 2 |p.75, 144| (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 150

-Aladin-

IF-Dazzler

-Aladin-

Posted: 12 March 2010 at 8:10am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Veritas

Originally posted by nitz17

Desi's are the most offensive when it comes to racism and that doesn't just end in international level; but national, state and regional level too. Our only saving grace is that we speak languages/dialect that not understood by others. I had a Indian classmate in grad school, she thought Americans are culture less coz according to her culture was being draped in clothes, not calling professors by their names and not having live-in and she was very offensive about it. I failed to make her understand that it is part of their culture... Confused. And yes, all desis in my school used to call African-Americans 'babban log'.

Will get back later after reading a few pages
Ciao

Ok ..I don't  get this.
Even after traveling all this way..people still stick to these constraints and stupid notions.
And I agree Indians are the most racist not to mention castewadi too .
Until the time I was in India..I was against reservation and thought the whole idea of caste was overblown.
But now I am for reservations 100 %.
I saw casteism the first time after I came to the US.Can you believe that.
For people who have grown up in Delhi ,Bombay or other metro cities or for that matter kids of displaced parents it is not such a big deal.
But there are people who come from one state /region/language and have not had the opportunity to live and understand ,adapt  or interact  with other cultures.They stick to these notions of superiority and how their beliefs are better than others.

Actually, this holds true for mostly everyone, not just the desis.  As they say, bad achcha, badnaam bura.  Desis are badnaam for being extremely prejudiced.  I think we are rather tolerant in comparison to some of the others.  Actually, French people are the worst when it comes to prejudices.  Angry

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

RainbowWarriorVeritasimmunoblotaxeion

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The Reading Group-Invites ONLY- 2 |p.75, 144| (Page 4)" in Chat Clubs forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

immunoblot

IF-Rockerz

immunoblot

Posted: 12 March 2010 at 8:12am | IP Logged
Yeah... the prejudice does run deep in our collective mentalities... That is the problem... And so often, we don't even try to mask it.
And then we are also complain about political correctness (this is a universal trait; everybody complains about PC-ness, Martin does too: He says that in Sydney there will be
no left-wing councils banning 'Baa-Baa Black Sheep'), we desis have mostly benefitted from the PC-West... and have made no efforts to correct our behaviour either at home, or abroad... instead by frowning upon it, we have found some sort of moral justification...

Sad part: Coming back to the book, the first page outlines Martin to have a conflict-ridden personality... So, disdainful of PC-ness; and yet so PC...
Would we desis be better at trying to emulate this attitude? At least by saying things that sound correct, can we somehow lessen the guilt of thinking/doing what is wrong?

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

RainbowWarriorVeritas-Aladin-

immunoblot

IF-Rockerz

immunoblot

Posted: 12 March 2010 at 8:16am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Aladin-

Actually, this holds true for mostly everyone, not just the desis.  As they say, bad achcha, badnaam bura.  Desis are badnaam for being extremely prejudiced.  I think we are rather tolerant in comparison to some of the others.  Actually, French people are the worst when it comes to prejudices.  Angry

Well, France is still a very diverse country... And in much of the Anglophone world, PC-ness is an integral part of civil society... (I think...)

@Aladin ji: Continue this way... This is about us, and not about the book.
Big smile

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Veritas-Aladin-

immunoblot

IF-Rockerz

immunoblot

Posted: 12 March 2010 at 8:18am | IP Logged
Smita ji had different suggestions for the awards yesterday... So, while we  fresh, let us also come up with innovative reader awards for this book/thread.
We already have: The most lovable personality. Other suggestions are welcome...

Veritas-Aladin-

-Aladin-

IF-Dazzler

-Aladin-

Posted: 12 March 2010 at 8:19am | IP Logged
Originally posted by immunoblot

Yeah... the prejudice does run deep in our collective mentalities... That is the problem... And so often, we don't even try to mask it.
And then we are also complain about political correctness (this is a universal trait; everybody complains about PC-ness, Martin does too: He says that in Sydney there will be
no left-wing councils banning 'Baa-Baa Black Sheep'), we desis have mostly benefitted from the PC-West... and have made no efforts to correct our behaviour either at home, or abroad... instead by frowning upon it, we have found some sort of moral justification...

Sad part: Coming back to the book, the first page outlines Martin to have a conflict-ridden personality... So, disdainful of PC-ness; and yet so PC...
Would we desis be better at trying to emulate this attitude? At least by saying things that sound correct, can we somehow lessen the guilt of thinking/doing what is wrong?

I think deep down we all know where we are hurting someone's sentiments.  It's a simple matter of putting ourselves in other people's shoes (not literally).  If you won't like something that is said about you, then you shouldn't say the same about others.  Most people though, make such statements in their full senses and with the purpose of spiting the other party.  It's just how it is.  It's a bit sad.  Then people wonder why is their so little tolerance?  Rather ironic, isn't it.

This is exactly why, I don't believe in extreme views (especially the negative).  All humans are created by God.  Yet, to date we make fun of people who may not resemble us.  As a child, my mom would reprimand us for making fun of other people's facial features even.  She says, God created that person a certain way.  How could you even make fun of them.  Yet, people don't think twice before painting other people in a negative way.  Many of my friends are the same, but I mostly ignore them.  If I reprimand them, then apparently, I am taking away their rights to 'freedom of speech'.  It's a double edged sword, isn't it. 

RainbowWarriorVeritasimmunoblot

-Aladin-

IF-Dazzler

-Aladin-

Posted: 12 March 2010 at 8:24am | IP Logged

Well, France is still a very diverse country... And in much of the Anglophone world, PC-ness is an integral part of civil society... (I think...)

Big smile

Well, I have not been to France, but I have been to Quebec, Canada.  The french would give you such looks, specially if you are dressed in desi attire.  Even though, many of them are familiar with English language, they would not give you directions when you ask them, because apparently, conversing in English is 'offensive'.  Ouch

RainbowWarriorVeritasimmunoblot

Veritas

IF-Dazzler

Veritas

Posted: 12 March 2010 at 8:32am | IP Logged

I believe Being a public personality has forced Martin to be PC.
He does it inadvertently...because he got trained over years.
He knows everything he says or does is news for the tabloids and can be misconstrued /misquoted and milked by  news hounds
About  the Sydney  comment..It says something about the political climate prevalent in Britain..They do try very hard not to offend.

-Aladin-immunoblot

Veritas

IF-Dazzler

Veritas

Posted: 12 March 2010 at 8:34am | IP Logged

Big smile

Well, I have not been to France, but I have been to Quebec, Canada.  The french would give you such looks, specially if you are dressed in desi attire.  Even though, many of them are familiar with English language, they would not give you directions when you ask them, because apparently, conversing in English is 'offensive'.  Ouch

HAHA the French are notorious for being rude.
But I thought that was only  in France Confused.
Considering the one in Canada are immigrants  themselves ..that sort of behavior is a little rich.

RainbowWarrior-Aladin-immunoblot

Post Reply New Post

Go to top