The Reading Group-Invites ONLY- 2 |p.75, 144| - Page 5

Posted: 14 years ago
Originally posted by immunoblot

I agree with what you say about Martin...

But this thing about the British trying hard to not offend, and openly confront... is this a good sign? Should desis also try to emulate that?? Will we become better people, or will it lessen our stature in society if we stop excluding/demeaning people??

I don't know Blot ji.,I guess its contextual.
But then who gets to decide what is right or wrong.
For example take the Burqa debate.
I thought people should be free to decide what they want to wear.
But people go overboard too ...I cite the recent case in high court ..where a woman did not want to take off her burqa for voter registration card photo.
Which is such a ridiculous argument.How would the election officials identify a person if they are veiled....And the judge said as much and said ..she had the choice to not vote or take off her veil.

Ultimately the muslim law board had to intervene  and they said"going for haj is a religious requirement...for that you need a passport...which requires a photograph.
So the woman shouldn't have an issue with her photograph on the voter registration card.

I think there was something very frivolous about this whole argument.

Originally posted by -Aladin-

That's the thing about prejudices, though, isn't it.  We tend to loose the individuality and judge people.  Even I do that. 

Everybody does this... I read a social commentary, according to which, this is what makes us stronger. When we exclude people on whatever bases, we assume a higher position; and strengthen the social order... 😳

Yep.  Didn't you read my first post.  I wasn't just copying and pasting Harry Potter when I said, 'criticism always bounces off of me'.  😆😆😆

I have a very thick skin.  I'd give them a few gaalis in Hindi.  😆

Really? I swear well in Hindi, but it comes with such emotional force that I generally keep it to an average of once in 5 years... (So, I won't waste that on the French!) 😛😆😆

Everybody does this... I read a social commentary, according to which, this is what makes us stronger. When we exclude people on whatever bases, we assume a higher position; and strengthen the social order... 😳

I don't know about that,don't we elevate religion above everything else .
again it differs from person to person.
I think somehow prejudice is ingrained within us.We are trained from childhood..and we learn by noticing things around us...we just don't know better.It is like a reflex action.
So it has to be unlearned like everything else.
Black neighborhoods are supposedly "unsafe" in the US.
Does that mean I look with suspicion at  all African Americans..no.
But I wouldn't  live in those neighborhoods either

Really? I swear well in Hindi, but it comes with such emotional force that I generally keep it to an average of once in 5 years... (So, I won't waste that on the French!) 😛😆😆

Obviously NOT.  What if they know the words?  😆😆😆

Italy is another place I'd want to visit, but there are so many stories of pick pocketers there.  Even the hotel rooms are supposedly not safe. 

Obviously NOT.  What if they know the words?  😆😆😆

Italy is another place I'd want to visit, but there are so many stories of pick pocketers there.  Even the hotel rooms are supposedly not safe. 

Oh man ,I am learning new things from you guys.

Note to self:keep purse safe when visiting Italy
.😛

Edited by Veritas - 14 years ago
Originally posted by Veritas

I don't know about that,don't we elevate religion above everything else .
again it differs from person to person.
I think somehow prejudice is ingrained within us.We are trained from childhood..and we learn by noticing things around us...we just don't know better.It is like a reflex action.
So it has to be unlearned like everything else.
Black neighborhoods are supposedly "unsafe" in the US.
Does that mean I look with suspicion at  all African Americans..no.
But I wouldn't  live in those neighborhoods either

Exactly Smita ji.  See the thing about prejudices is that sometimes they are not far from reality.  All five fingers are not equal though.  We have the good and bad people among all societies.  Some in greater numbers than the others.

I don't know about elevating one's social status.  If I think 'negative' about someone, then it certainly is not with the thought that I am better than them. 

@ bold:  I quite agree.  It's such an ingrained quality, that I doubt we can unlearn it. 

.😛

😆😆😆😆  Well, I've heard so many stories.

One of my aunts went to visit, and she was extremely cautious.  She held on to her handbag but at the end of one of her visits, all she had was the handle.  The thieves were smarter and they cut the purse, apparently.  😆😆  Luckily, my uncle had held onto passports.  Apparently, they even cut out the pockets of your pants. 

Still, I guess it'll be worth a visit, from what I have seen in the pictures.  😳😃😃

.😛

I said that once to an Italian friend, only to be reminded about how unsafe India is for foreigners...
What would you guys say to that?? Would you recommend a foreigner to take a vacation in hamara Bharat mahaan?

😆  Well, I've heard so many stories.

One of my aunts went to visit, and she was extremely cautious.  She held on to her handbag but at the end of one of her visits, all she had was the handle.  The thieves were smarter and they cut the purse, apparently.  😆😆  Luckily, my uncle had held onto passports.  Apparently, they even cut out the pockets of your pants. 

Still, I guess it'll be worth a visit, from what I have seen in the pictures.  😳😃😃

Germany is nice... in fact much nicer for foreigners than Italy or France... ⭐️