The Reading Group-Invites ONLY- 2 |p.75, 144|

immunoblot thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

*designed by RainbowWarrior. ⭐️

This is the space devoted to the exploits of the reading group, which was born because some random people (united in their love for reading and discussing things on the internet) stumbled upon each other. The mode of operation is simple: we short-list books, vote for our favourites, read the chosen one and then spend aeons discussing the characters, the themes, the incidents and whatever else that catches our fancy...

Remember to click on the "play" button to listen to a nice song as you read through the selection of books up for voting...
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAZN1oVir5A[/YOUTUBE]

The reading group will shortly hold a vote on a book which we will discuss over the next days. The current top contenders are:
  • Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - because a child's longing and yearning are precious.
  • Candide - because the human world is largely disutopian.
  • The Reader (Der Vorleser) - because human history is dark and provocative.
  • Three Cups of Tea - because we must hear out the message of love.
  • No One Loved Gorillas More - because all life is interrelated and it is not difficult to understand each other's language.
  • East of Eden - because the choice is always in one's own hands, and not in the inherited genes.
  • The Alchemist - because happiness is the result of a conspiracy of the Universe.
  • The Life of Pi - because we can choose the story we will believe.
  • A Long Way Down - because life is easy.
  • The Percy Jackson Series - because there is a hero in all of us .
The book chosen for the second round is A LONG WAY DOWN. The discussions for the book will be summarised in the final pages.

A pdf version of the book is available
(if you don't have the original book/don't intend to buy it).  The pdf file can be downloaded here (thank you Pinki for the link):

We'll be glad to welcome everybody on board, but please send a PM to one of the members to request an invitation. Currently we have many people on the list, but as the reading group settles, we'll try to adjust the head-count to a maximum of 15 people (so, those who don't participate, will be removed).

Currently WE include the following active readers:
  • Veritas
  • Axeion
  • Smitha80
  • Pinkisluv91 - the official link provider. Contact her for download links! 😃
  • Ashrozia
  • RainbowWarrior
  • BluePandora
  • -Aladin- - the official post-collector! 😆
  • Nitz17
  • Desicrowd
  • Amyria
  • Immunoblot
The following members are inactive:
  • Cool_yv
  • Meena1
  • BigBella
And the following visitors who may/may not join us(?):
  • Sunandshine
  • Sweta01
  • MithiBani
  • Xserial_queenX
Edited by immunoblot - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

pinkisluv91 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Links to old threads:
The reading group-1:
 http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1345632Edited by pinkisluv91 - 14 years ago
Incognit0 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
How old is this group and what all books have u discussed till date, so that I can update myself... I need to know my ancestral history... 😛
pinkisluv91 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: immunoblot

But we said you could have it:)) That's not cool at all. Please use your award too.

Veritas thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: nitz17

How old is this group and what all books have u discussed till date, so that I can update myself... I need to know my ancestral history... 😛

We are just one book old.
Parampara ..anushasan.. hamare do stambh hain.

Edited by Veritas - 14 years ago
immunoblot thumbnail

We are very young... We've just done the Alchemist, and you're in time for the second book: A LONG WAY DOWN... 😃

immunoblot thumbnail
My first question for discussion is about political correctness. The book begins with a monologue by Martin, who explains his reasons for committing suicide; and likens it to going away to Sydney. He says: "Suicide was my Sydney. And I say that with no offence to the good people of Sydney intended."

A. Do you think, people of Sydney will be offended by such a statement. I think not! (Had it been, "Suicide was my new Delhi", I would not have sufficiently enraged.)
B. Does this seem like a routine approach that you'd follow... Say something, and then suggest that no offence was intended? Is this a universal trait, or is this something typically British (which is what the book stereotypes!)
C. Would a desi protagonist do the same (care about political correctness)?
Incognit0 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Veritas

We are just one book old.
Parampara ..anushasan.. hamare do stambh hain.

ok... we are still in ice age then.... i can catch up soon

what about theesra stambh; Prathista???? 😛
Edited by nitz17 - 14 years ago
Incognit0 thumbnail

Originally posted by: immunoblot

We are very young... We've just done the Alchemist, and you're in time for the second book: A LONG WAY DOWN... 😃

will start reading it tonight.... 😊
immunoblot thumbnail

ok... we are still in ice age then.... i can catch up soon
what about theesri stambh; Prathista???? 😛

TeesrA stambh, Nitzy ji... Stambh is a boy (masculine!) 😛
Edited by immunoblot - 14 years ago