Page 2 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2

ShadowKisses

IF-Dazzler

ShadowKisses

Winner of KSBKBT Debate Champtionship 2

Posted: 15 March 2010 at 12:28am | IP Logged
You brought up some good points especially with regards to the H/Hr ship and Harry needing to loosen up. That being said, I don't think you've answered why HG are well-suited, it's more of Harry isn't compatible with Hermione or Cho -- which I agree with - but doesn't prove that he is compatible with Ginny because really, neither Harry nor any other character don't need to be paired off with someone at the end. There are distinct aspects of Ginny's personality that are shown pre-OOTP that are in direct contradiction with her characteristics afterwards. To me, it seemed far too much that JKR had given Ginny a transformation just so she would be "deserving" of Harry -- I really don't think Ginny needed to change herself to befit Harry like JKR said in one of her interviews.

I don't ship Harry-Hermione or Harmony, as they are called, primarily for the some of the reasons why I don't ship RHr. Hermione is an enigmatic character who can be a bit of a recluse, overprotective over family and friends, manipulative, fighting for what she believes in and smart. She knows her own mind and is passionate enough to go after what she wants with something of a single-minded determination. Harry would be incompatible with her primarily because he has no ambitions of his own. She is passionate about everything she does and is full of innovative original ideas (S.P.E.W, etc), he is about as passionate as a loaf of bread and is almost entirely incapable of independent thought.

I think you're being harsh on Hermione in regards to the HBP incidence. Her concern isn't simply because Harry is 'doing better' (as if he could do it based solely on his "potions' skills"/without the help of a neat set of instructions) at Potions;she's never resetned him because he was better than her at DADA. Her resentment seems to be because of his academic dishonesty. It may be difficult for someone who isn't familiar with the American academic system to realize why Hermione thought Harry was being dishonest but bear with me as I try to explain this. Where I attend university (America), plagiarism is a fairly serious crime that is your one-way ticket out of university and a permanent black-list on your name. You're supposed to cite every single resource you used - in homework, assignments etc. It's simply unacceptable to copy something (thoughts, ideas, actualy wording, etc) whether from books, internet, academic journals, scholarly articles etc. Anything that isn't your OWN, original thought NEEDS to be cited -- no exceptions. To get to the question: what is so wrong about Harry's use of the book? People argue that Harry is just "following instructions" and he does them well and that he does the leg work so he should get credit for it. What is wrong about that? 

It's quite simple actually. It isn't his work. He is stealing someone else's work without having thought through anything - how they arrived at their conclusions, their thought processes or made any inferences from what he read. This is evident when after hiding the book, he becomes a mediocre student. He doesn't get the excellent results because all he's been doing is following someone else's ideas without an individual thought of his own and hoping it turns out okay. Essentially, he's not used his brain even once to figure out *WHY* the Prince's instructions worked better - he hasn't used his brain at all, period. Fair use of the potions textbook would be if Harry worked through the Prince's hypothesis and conclusions, if he conducted experiments or even showed a healthy curiosity to find out why the Prince's modifications worked rather than using HBP's work and passing it off as his own. It isn't any different than someone using a former student's notes that happen to be on the copy of the book he or she got from the university -- and yes, that is considered plagiarism; you get booted out of university if you do that. Now, if one used the former student's notes as part of your analysis - to back it up, for instance, while giving due credit to the person whose notes they were, that would be fair use. Harry is not only lying when he passes the work as his own but he is committing a theft of intellectual property because he doesn't mention the sources. As far as I'm concerned, Harry is a liar and a cheat for his dishonest practices in academics.

Moving on to Hermione's involvement in this -- she had every right to be pissed off because while she worked her ass off - used her *brain* to come to her original conlusions, Harry blindly followed a set of instructions and took credit for work that wasn't his own. I know I'd be pissed. Hermione's concern for the book aren't unfounded either as you portrayed them to be. She points out that Levicorpus which Harry-Ron consider to be a joke is used by DEs to torture muggles. Not so hilarious now, is it? I don't recall Harry ever agreeing to share the Prince's work - if you could pull the passage where he agrees to do it, that'd be great :) Plus, there are many curses in the book that are labelled "for enemy" and incidentally, these are the curses that Harry cannot "wait to try" out - and he does to the "general applause" of his classmates. The book you claim helped save Ron from death and Harry from Crucio is also the same book that has spells which cause pain to others - Sectumsempra, Levicorpus. Ironically, the Ron situation wouldn't require the Prince's work if Harry had actually, I dunno, bothered to learn from Snape. He learned about the bezoar on his first day of Potions class. The most disappointing thing about this is, Harry never realizes the errors of his ways.

While this isn't directed at you, your post left me wondering for the nth time why people dislike Cho. I think I have a fairly good idea why JKR dislikes her so much but I've never understood why most of fandom seems to despise the girl other than the obvious shipper reasoning which I find irrational. You mentioned that Cho was "weepy". A rebuttal to that would be: If crying is a justified reason for disliking a character, then I think Hermione, Ginny, Hagrid and Neville should also be disliked on that account. Over the course of 7 books, Hermione has cried at least 10 times if not more, Ginny 8-9 times, Hagrid at least 5 times, Neville about 4 times etc. None of them are degraded to the level of being called a human hosepipe. Why single out Cho, who has only cried about 4 times - once at DD's speech in GoF, thrice in OOTP? I also think it's insensitive to label her a human hosepipe -- she lost someone she cared about deeply and not everyone recovers from a loss at the same pace. On a personal note, I wouldn't scoff or mock a person who is obviously distraught over the death of someone they cared about a lot. That's just cruel. Think of it another way: would you criticize or mock Harry for his reaction after Sirius' death or Cedric's death? Then, why mock Cho just because her coping mechanism is a bit different than other peoples?

I also find people in general shoulder a lot of the blame for Cho-Harry relationship failure on Cho which is rather unfair. Throughout the duration of their date, Harry seemed sulky, reluctant to talk and he mentioned that he would be seeing Hermione, a girl who he spends most of his day with, in the middle of the date. Can you blame her for being jealous? Admittedly, she didn't help matters by talking about Cedric but looking at it from her perspective, Harry was the person who saw Cedric die and if she had received some sort of closure from Harry on that matter then perhaps she could follow on her attraction to Harry without feeling guilty. I would agree with anyone who said her relationship with Harry was premature but I don't think a bad decision warrants the kind of hatred she gets from fandom. One thing I would say about Harry is that he fails to realize that the date is just as uncomfortable for her as it is for him. His lack of tact, emotional engagement and reluctance to share the details with someone who obviously needs it played just as big a role in the failure of their relationship as Cho's pre-existing feelings for Cedric which were not resolved.

Sorry for steering it a bit off topic but I feel I've exhaused the topic of H/G on IF.

Edited by ShadowKisses - 15 March 2010 at 1:00am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_VeilRafa.LunaPottermyownarea

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Harry-Ginny (Page 2)" in Harry Potter forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

MagixX

IF-Rockerz

MagixX

Posted: 15 March 2010 at 6:18am | IP Logged
Well,like I said Ginny's character was always kept under the wraps..In the sense she wasn't close to Harry in any way!
So,we really do not know whether Ginny changed or no..She might have been the same person when she wasn't in front of or say 1km near Harry..Hermione asked Ginny to be more like 'Herself' which means the real Ginny was likable,friendly,humorous,outgoing and not the shy little thing she was around Harry.
Hmm..He is incompatible with Hermione or Cho..That's one reason but,what about the other reasons?
Well didn't Harry say that spending those few days with her was 'Something out of someone else's life'???
I think he meant it in terms of the happiness,fun part etc!
His relationship with Cho was a disaster coz of all those weepy things which went on and this was a welcome change..
So if among the girls,I had to choose someone for Harry then it would be Ginny!
Part of it because he was incompatible with the other girls and part of it because she had made him laugh and feel happy at the times he was down.

Coming to Hermione part:-
Well,that wasn't my own statement..It was Ron's!I meant that as a joke if you did not get it.Smile
Well,yes..Her resentment towards Harry was because he was breaking rules(Precious rules).
Hermione was using her brains?Well she was also following a set of instructions which were different from Harry's and tougher than his..But,she was just following the instructions..Simple enough!
They were legal,his weren't..That's the difference!
Agreed Harry was at fault but was Harry ever the one to follow rules?
Hermione could have commented on that matter if she had never broken the rules..So it's not fair on her part to do so.

Now Cho Chang:-
Well,JKR hates her so much and the book is written by her and so it's but natural to hate the people whom the author hates!LOL
But apart from that,Cho shouldn't have committed herself if she hadn't gotten over Cedric's death..Cho is a sweet girl..She could have asked Harry to give her sometime and then could have sorted it out and Harry's obvious crush on her would have made him wait.But what does she do?She goes and kisses him!(Almighty God)
Can someone really move on within less than an year?Obviously not possible..She was ruining not only her life but Harry's life as well..It's insensitive on her part to do so.
Harry,as we know has seen more and enough for the 15yr old he was then..He could have done without being reminded of someone's death he had seen and been partly responsible for constantly.
Cho knows that Harry and Voldemort are enemies and he despises him and all..How would he feel if she constantly asked him about what it was,what did he say..Blah blah blah?
Harry mentioning about Hermione once made her jealous,angry etc etc!What about her reminding him about Cedric always?Even though he wasn't there anymore..Wouldn't he feel jealous?
Harry was sulky etc etc?The only thing they discussed about was Cedric's death,before kissing,after kissing..ALL THE TIME!
How do you expect him to be chirpy and chummy chummy?LOL
Not possible..
It was Cho's fault for committing herself to Harry when she hadn't gotten over Cedric's death already.Understandable enough.

Rafa.LunaPotter..RamKiJanaki..myownarea

Rafa.LunaPotter

IF-Sizzlerz

Rafa.LunaPotter

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 18 March 2010 at 10:18pm | IP Logged
Umm intresting post..u have given it quite a lot of thought!
But frankly speaking..HG arent my type at aall...
chorry..:))
Either Harry doesnt know an ounce of romance, or its Ginny who doesnt know what to act like when in a particluar obvious situation.

They dont make a great pair..they do okay...:))
Ron and Hermoine..well wahtever said and done, try to make up even with loads of bickering...and yet seem to understnad each other more than others in their peer.

I always had a feeling ginny was a strong, very firm, determined kind of a person...but somehow, Hermoine was way better in things Ginny was good at too.
Hermoine and Harry werent meant to be...
Thats for sure...HG seem okay overall...

But i have a fetish..i always thought H was best with luna..*dreams*
And Ginny with Neville..*draems again*
LOL!!!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

..RamKiJanaki..myownarea

MagixX

IF-Rockerz

MagixX

Posted: 19 March 2010 at 1:26pm | IP Logged
Harry,I think saw Luna as his sister...
But they'd make quite a nice pair too..Because,I feel that Luna has never got the best in her life and for the gem of the person she is,she deserved something good..Maybe Harry!LOL

That being said,I think Luna suits Neville the best..
Both are just one of their kind..Not meant to be in the houses they were in but at last they show how much they deserved to be in the houses they were in.Smile

Rafa.LunaPotter..RamKiJanaki..myownarea

--Piscean--

Goldie

--Piscean--

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 2:07am | IP Logged
Nice post Kezia.But somehow I don't love HG as a couple.That's bcoz as you said Ginny's character was always kept under wraps and we never got to know more about her or feel for her.

But I never wanted Harry to be with Hermione either.From the start it was kinda obvious that Ron Hermione would end up together.And I love their pair.It's the best example of opposites attract lolz.

Edited by --Piscean-- - 21 March 2010 at 3:27am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

MagixX

MagixX

IF-Rockerz

MagixX

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 3:30am | IP Logged
Thanks Hiba.Smile

True,I wish we could have got to see more of Ginny but that wasn't meant to be..Ouch
But,I like whatever I see of her..Kind of strong,chirpy,bubbly,jovial etc.Smile

..RamKiJanaki..

swathy3

swathy3

Posted: 22 March 2010 at 1:25am | IP Logged
Amazing Post
Thank you for this interesting post

In My opinion HG is the Best couple in HP series.
Because Harry is the one who have to fight voldemort till Vlodemort kill him or her kill Voldemort .  So in my opinion He want a partner who can stand with him in every situation who is not always Crying like cho bcoz he don't have enough time to deal with a weepy girlfriend and a enemy who is trying to kill him and who will destroy the world.
And when Fred Died was the one who was comforting everyone she was strong enough to control that pain and comfort everyone . In difficult situation she will never Cry And make situation difficult for harry she will support him in every situation  

who can make him laugh who gives him the best days of his life when he can forget everything Who can support him when he need someones support .

and Ron and Hermione are my third fav couple of HP series because the are the perfect example of opposites attract

(sorry if this post have hurt anyone these are just my views )

MagixX

Post Reply New Post

Go to top