Debate Mansion

Mahabharat Analysis and Debate (Page 7)

Poll Question: Which do you like better?

Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [75.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [16.67%]
2 [8.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Post Reply New Post

Page 7 of 68

blue-ice

IF-Stunnerz

blue-ice

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 8:38am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Originally posted by lola610

- Shakuni's main beef was against Bhishma, as he was the one who arranged Gandhari's marriage... same with Amba, went from a her to a he because of the love she lost when Bhishma kidnapped her for his brother... in both of these cases, do you guys think Bhishma's behavior justifiable because it fit with the politics of the time (which he had to subscribe to because of his devotion to Hastinapur), or was taking control of these girls' future just plain wrong?

Was Gandhari forced to marry Dhritrashtra?  Wasn't the proposal accepted by her parents? 

I need to know what happened there for me to sucessfully defend Bheeshm Pitameh - one of my absolute favorite character from MB thanks to Mukesh Khanna who played the role. 

I loved his voice...

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Mahabharat Analysis and Debate (Page 7)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 9:58am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

-SilverFlames-

IF-Rockerz

-SilverFlames-

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 10:08am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

hmmm.....looks like it was a common practice in those days to win a princess in swyamvar.  I was under the impression that who ever won, had to marry the princess.  However, I now know of two scenarios that conflict with my understanding.  They are:

1. Bheeshm winning the swyamwar and then kidnapping all three sisters to be married off to Vichitravirya

2. Karn trying to win Draupadi for his friend Duryodhan after Duryodhan was unable to even lift the dhanush.

Another point to ponder --- If Amba was in love with Shalve, why did she agree to be part of the swyamwar?  She should have known that she will be given to anyone who wins her in the swyamwar. The swyamver was different in this case as the three princesses were allowed to choose whoever that's why Amba agreed and was going to put her jaimala on Shalve Naresh...

Bheeshm did send her back to Shalve who refused her.  How come she did not request Vichitravirya to marry her upon getting rejected by Shalve?  Why did she request Bheeshm who could not marry given his oath? She argued that despite his oath he should have known the concequences of his actions.. Therefore he should be the one who accept her as he was the one who kidnapped her..

Keeping these points in mind --- can we blame Bhishm for Amba's plight?  I think not.  Hope Lola reads this analysis.

Thanks for the input, SRD. Your welcomeEmbarrassed

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 10:11am | IP Logged
Oh & I somehow thot Shakuni was angry because Bheeshma had chosen Gandhari for his blind nephew & not Pandu. Its because Dhritirastra was blind that Pandu got chosen as king though being younger. Thereby gandhari's children lost their chance as heir to the throne.

Mister.K.

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 10:32am | IP Logged

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-SilverFlames-

Mister.K.

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 10:38am | IP Logged

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 10:42am | IP Logged

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 10:44am | IP Logged

Post Reply New Post

Go to top