Poll Choice
BR Chopra's Mahabharat
Bobby Bedi's Mahabharat
Ramanand Sagar's Shri Krishna
Ekta Kapoor's KHMK
Login To Vote
Posted: 14 years ago
Originally posted by Emptiness

M R Yardi, in his - "The Mahabharata, its Genesis and Growth, A Statistical Study" and "Epilogue of Mahabhata" says the same thing, that the whole gambling event and the disrobing episode, are interpolations.

Will read these articles and get back on them later. 

On the same note --- it is also said that Draupadi only laughed when Duryodhan fell in the pool in Maya Mahal.  That she never said - andhey ka putra andha. 
Edited by Gauri_3 - 14 years ago
Originally posted by Gauri_3

True that.  Dhritrashtra was dependent on Shakuni for his morale boosting as Vidur and Bheeshm used to call a spade a spade.  D's insecurities were Shakuni's biggest strength. 

Still, Gandhari could have asked B or V to send Shakuni back.  After all, it was her home and her children that Shakuni was after.

Well, over the time, a million people asked Bheeshm and Vidur to do something about Duryodhan and how he was going out of hand.  They even consider exiling Duryodhan after they had conclusive proof that Shakuni and Duryodhan planned the lakshaya grih incident. Dhritarastr, the king in charge, completely rejects that idea.
Edited by Mister.K. - 14 years ago
Originally posted by Mister.K.

Which is precisely the reason why nobody heard of that dude in the first place. I mean, Yardi who?

An Indian scholar, author of analytical books on Ramayana, Mahabharata and Gita, published by the Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute - http://bori.ac.in/publications.htm

You seem to revel in telling these gory stories. What's your agenda?

I find them fascinating, no agenda.
What are y'all up to?  Everyone comes here and gets this thread moving when it's time for me to call it a day 😭 

See y'all tw.

Well, over the time, a million people asked Bheeshm and Vidur to do something about Duryodhan and how he was going out of hand.  They even consider exiling Duryodhan after they had conclusive proof that Shakuni and Duryodhan planned the lakshaya grih incident. Dhritarastr, the king in charge, completely rejects that idea.

Given how Ganga Putra was under oath to serve the Hastinapur King, I can understand that he couldn't go against D's wishes.  But Vidur could have done something --- supari nikaal sakta thaa Shakuni key naam kee.  Tapakwa deta uss ko.  Surely, something could have done.  But then, MB would not have been MB if Shakuni was not there. 

Oh well, bye for now.  I am so mad at all of you😡

Given how Ganga Putra was under oath to serve the Hastinapur King, I can understand that he couldn't go against D's wishes.  But Vidur could have done something --- supari nikaal sakta thaa Shakuni key naam kee.  Tapakwa deta uss ko.  Surely, something could have done.  But then, MB would not have been MB if Shakuni was not there. 

Oh well, bye for now.  I am so mad at all of you😡

lol.. just take it as part of the story, I mean we could take this a step back and say, why didn't Bhishma just break his vow and get hitched already?... I mean, pretty much everyone in the epic breaks all sorts of rules, norms and cutoms, so one dude breaking a vow is no big deal... even his father and Satyavati make pleas to him to break his vow.

[But Vidur could have done something --- supari nikaal sakta thaa Shakuni key naam kee. 

I am surprised, Shakuni didn't think of doing that to Vidur...
Originally posted by Emptiness

lol.. just take it as part of the story, I mean we could take this a step back and say, why didn't Bhishma just break his vow and get hitched already?... I mean, pretty much everyone in the epic breaks all sorts of rules, norms and cutoms, so one dude breaking a vow is no big deal... even his father and Satyavati make pleas to him to break his vow.

I think that is the moral lesson to be learned from MB. That taking unbreakable vows is also a kind of weakness. Bhishma takes some vows and never breaks them. This forces him to take side with the 'wrong' people such as Duryodhan and also leads to his (Bhisma's) downfall.

Nothing is greater than truth and not even vows.
(of course "what is truth?" is a different question)

Anyway what could be  better? 1) Never to take unbreakable vows or 2) to take vows and then break them, in rare circumstances, only when it is required to be on the side of truth?

Edited by karandel_2008 - 14 years ago
^^ It's best to make an unbreakable vow to never make unbreakable vows...