Writers Corner
Writers Corner

India-Forums

Rosy Cheeks... a Short Story

chhilt IF-Rockerz
chhilt
chhilt

Posted: 28 February 2010 at 9:43pm | IP Logged
Here's another children's story I wrote recently.... hope you like it!

Dexter was an ordinary boy in every way except for one thing. His mother never allowed him to eat anything unhealthy. He wasn't even allowed to eat white bread. Instead, his mother gave him whole-wheat brown bread, which she said was important for him to grow big and strong. The only time he ever got to eat anything sweet was on his birthday. His mother always let him have German chocolate cake then.

One day, Dexter was sitting in the school cafeteria, looking unhappily at his lunch. His mom had packed a grilled vegetable sandwich on marble rye for him. Just for once, Dexter wished he could have something different… something like all of his friends brought to school everyday.  Just then, his best friend, Josh came up.

"What's up, Dex?" he asked. "Why aren't you eating?"

"I'm not hungry," Dexter mumbled.

"Why not?" Josh said.

"You wouldn't be hungry either if you had to eat that," Dexter said, pushing his sandwich away.

"That's not a problem," Josh said. "Let's trade."

"What?" Dexter said, staring at Josh.

"I'll give you my peanut butter and jelly sandwich on Wonder bread, if you'll give me your vegetable one," Josh said, holding out his sandwich.

"It's a deal," said Dexter. The two boys traded lunches and started to eat in companiable silence. Dexter had eaten about half of the sandwich when he started to feel queasy.

"Hey Dex, are you all right? You look a little pale," Josh observed.

"I'm fine," Dexter said. Five minutes later, he was throwing up in the bathroom. He felt weak and shaky and it took all of his strength to drag himself to the nurse's office.

"Oh dear, what have you been eating?" the nurse fussed, giving him a glass of water.

"Just a sandwich," Dexter replied, weakly.

"Well, I'm going to call your mother and have her come get you," the nurse said, picking up the phone.

His mother arrived twenty minutes later and instead of taking him home, she took him to the park. They sat down on a park bench and Dexter felt uncomfortable. He knew that he'd been wrong to trade his lunch.

"Is there something that you want to tell me, Dexter?" his mother asked.

"I traded my lunch at school today," Dexter whispered.

"Is that why you got sick?" his mother asked, putting her arm around him.

"I think so," he said, leaning into her.

"Well, now you know why I don't let you eat food that your classmates do," she said. "It will only make you sick and you'd lose your rosy cheeks."

"I understand, Mom," Dexter said. "I won't do it again."

"That's okay, honey," his mother said, giving him a kiss. "Let's go home now, shall we?"

So Dexter went home with his mother, knowing that she would love him no matter what.

Please review!

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

scarlett.ladydilkarioEatPrayLoveyikes..-..Riya..-.._Ashy_-PreciouscanadiansArushi.aish_punksafeplacetoland

aish_punk IF-Sizzlerz
aish_punk
aish_punk

Posted: 02 March 2010 at 6:34am | IP Logged
hey ..that was really sweet..

Dexter complained that his mom never gave him any interesting food..but when he traded with Josh..he fell sick..so thats why she didn't give him such food..aww thats so sweet!..

do write more

-aish
chhilt IF-Rockerz
chhilt
chhilt

Posted: 02 March 2010 at 9:12am | IP Logged
Originally posted by aish_punk

hey ..that was really sweet..

Dexter complained that his mom never gave him any interesting food..but when he traded with Josh..he fell sick..so thats why she didn't give him such food..aww thats so sweet!..

do write more

-aish

Thanks so much for the lovely review, Aish :) The thing was that since Dexter had never eaten anything unhealthy before, he wasn't used to that kind of food.... which is why he got sick when he finally tried some....

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

aish_punk

_Ashy_ IF-Dazzler
_Ashy_
_Ashy_

Posted: 03 March 2010 at 3:27am | IP Logged
oh...that's so sweet chhilt...I really love your stories............keep on writing more stories.......
chhilt IF-Rockerz
chhilt
chhilt

Posted: 03 March 2010 at 3:52am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Miley_hp

oh...that's so sweet chhilt...I really love your stories............keep on writing more stories.......

Aww thanks so much Ashy Hug I definitely will keep writing ;)
..-..Riya..-.. IF-Dazzler
..-..Riya..-..
..-..Riya..-..

Posted: 03 March 2010 at 3:59am | IP Logged
awww..that's a really sweet story..keep writing!!..Big smile
..-..Riya..-.. IF-Dazzler
..-..Riya..-..
..-..Riya..-..

Posted: 03 March 2010 at 6:46am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Maansi-

<font size="7" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">WTF????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</font>

Learn some MANNERISM for God's sake. We can throw u out of IF.Angry
chhilt IF-Rockerz
chhilt
chhilt

Posted: 03 March 2010 at 6:08pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Sashangelz

awww..that's a really sweet story..keep writing!!..Big smile

Thank you so much, Sasha :) Means a lot :)

Originally posted by Sashangelz

Originally posted by -Maansi-

<font size="7" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">WTF????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</font>

Learn some MANNERISM for God's sake. We can throw u out of IF.Angry

The only thing to do with such posts is to ignore them Smile Don't worry about it...

Go to top