Posted: 19 February 2010 at 9:54pm | IP Logged
It's sad that only serial on this channel which involved every character and handled issues logically and professionally has gone off air for low Trps. The typical audience seems to want to watch lots of that 'sizzling' chemistry and romance of YRKKH and KDMHMD.
These shows are very deserving of their roles on Star Plus as they always grip you with their amazing disappearing characters and a plot which seems to be what every other serial that has ever existed on this channel has had (exc. the special few like Mitwa).
For those who though that this was torture, let me tell you a few things about this serial which make it special.
1) The issues that this serial tackled
Caste-seen it attempted by others but failed to attract me at all, what was so good about how they did it here was that the serial always made you fear the high castes and sympathise the lower castes, but this serial did it to the extent that if someone crossed their path they would die! Bela's grandfather always made it so that there was no integration for 20 years betweens castes, and rightfully so I mean Chitra and her husband were stoned to death by everyone, who could stand up to him?
Gender-Devlata's numerous aborted girls was a touching moment, unlike other serials who left it at 'I want a boy, full stop', this serial went a step further and said 'I want a boy, so ABORT YOUR GIRL'.
2) The best antagonist ever-Bela grandfather was amazing and definitely the most different-most antagonists in serials are usually results from love triangles or revenge etc. (boring...) but here we have a true power-hungry tycoonnn-amazing actor. Every moment was a moment where you would just fear him, he made death such a bad option for mixing castes that there was no mix for twenty years! Also, he and his son were so power-hungry that they were prepared to kill Bela's father (their own son and brother) when he tried to protect Bela.
3) Sargam-the true main character in my opinion was amazing, everything was so developed and mindblowing about her acting (from her accent to her shy attitude) that made her truly shine like a gem. When her kid was discovered to be a girl, she lied to everyone to protect unborn Bela and her love for her daughter eventually got the family to agree to let her live-great moment. But, her facial expressions were mind-blowing, she truly deserves an award for performances, little touches like when Nirbhay's wife was crying about him dying, she put her hand out in the background but was stopped by her husband-which shows how truly sympathetic a character she is-and when Bela and Birju were loving each other, her character changed-she came out of being timid and actually helped Birju to get his mum out of the dungeon, Sargam shud by the true 'best bahu/mother/main actress' of any soap.
4) Minor Character were properly developped and were actually interesting-anyone from Devlata (the middle daughter-in law) to Nirbhay (the eldest son) to Haldi (Nirbhay's wife's servant) all had a nice backstory to their characters and touched me with their roles...more than when some generic, undeveloped character in a Kekta serial who disappear after 2 or 3 episodes into nothingness-Devlata always wanted to be a mother and forcibly (unlike most bahus, this one actually wanted to go against it) got her girls aborted...Nirbhay too was a result of his father's corruption and greed and so would stop at no cost to protect his father's evil ways but he did it because he truly admired and loved his dad-a true, brilliant minor character her, Tejas was also Bela's nice elder brother but changed completely after his dad was killed by Birju and also Birju's mother was amazing too. We got a bit about who she was too...felt terrible that her entire house was burnt down by Bela's grandfather for such a litttle thing but it shows what an awesome villain he is and how sorry we can feel for her!
5) A proper and actually interesting love story. This was pretty much an original concept for a love story-the closest I can think of to something like this is Romeo and Juliet-love amongst a family feud-except not only were the actors quite good and had a bit of that 'sizzling' chemistry that loads of people love but also were individuals and were not controlled by their families-usually in a serial a family is everything and they would be willing to sacrifice their love for that, but in this they both NEVER give up, and also they had their own personalities (Bela was different to her family because she was raised in the village and so she was a bit village-like in her attitude while Birju was never told about his parents and always believed himself to be of a higher caste than he usually is and was so shocked when he discovered the truth) too and weren't the typical generic hero and heroine (who have 'firey hot' chemistry). They ran away from home, Birju came back to save his mom and Chutki (his friend whose mother got raped by Devlata's husband) giving evidence that he does love his family as much as he loves Bela and so isn't ridiculous about it like in other serials where the main characters are always completely absorbed in each other, completely isolating themselves from the outside world...cough...'Sajan Ghar Jana Hai'...cough...
6) The villagers rebel against the family-finally some action in a soap!!! This was actually the best bit about the serial was that, it felt complete. Kyunki and Kahaani and Kis Desh Mein and Yeh Rishtey are examples of serials with gaping holes in everything and sheer ridiculousness like why does everyone in Yeh Rishtey get offended when the guy rings his wife that he is coming home and nobody else was told...and in Kyunki whatever happened to Karan-Nandini's child...silly gaping plotholes and 'what the heck'ness just seems to be at the core of these serials. However, with Mitwa, we finally got the lower castes to get back at the greedy higher castes after years of oppression in their village-there was an actual story and also an actual conclusion to this battle.
I loved Mitwa and I hope that everyone feels the same way about it as I do!
Sorry to rant on but this is how I feel...
Edited by pikablu - 19 February 2010 at 10:08pm