Debate Mansion

Prayers,Songs,Mantras and Gayatri Mantra (Page 9)

Post Reply New Post

Page 9 of 20

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 7:59pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

satyam-shivam-sundram, sat-chit-anand, hari om tat sat, om mani padme hum, om-shantih-shantih-shantih...........Smile

Yep one needs faith and belief tooLOL
Believe me

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Prayers,Songs,Mantras and Gayatri Mantra (Page 9)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

visrom

IF-Veteran Member

visrom

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 6:23am | IP Logged
I know the Gayatri Mantra and a few other mantras, but my personal view  is that there's no point chanting them without understanding the meaning of the mantras.

If you are well-versed in Sanskrit or have had someone to explain the meaning of the mantras to you, it's fine. But no point learning them by-heart without understanding a word.

If I want to connect to God, I just talk to Him in my language, in my mind and I am sure He'll understand it. I don't need to memorise mantras for that.

No offence to anyone. I am a big believer in God.

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 9:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by visrom

I know the Gayatri Mantra and a few other mantras, but my personal view  is that there's no point chanting them without understanding the meaning of the mantras.

If you are well-versed in Sanskrit or have had someone to explain the meaning of the mantras to you, it's fine. But no point learning them by-heart without understanding a word.

If I want to connect to God, I just talk to Him in my language, in my mind and I am sure He'll understand it. I don't need to memorise mantras for that.

yes you are right there, there is no need to beat around the bush.
Mantras are useful in some ways but its meaning has to be understood and also chanting properly done. The repetition of such mantras generate a great deal of energy and power. It is useful also for removing the ignorance that does not allow us to see things in proper perspective.

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 9:48am | IP Logged
One of the most comprehensive explanation of the Gatyatri Mantra I came across :
 e mail fwd:

warm welcome to dear lovers of Gayatri!

The VEDAS proclaim  through the Gayatri Mantra:

AUM

AUM BHUH, AUM BHUVAH, AUM SVAH, AUM MAHAH, AUM JANAH, AUM TAPAH, AUM SATYAM,

AUM TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM, BHARGO DEVASYA DHIMAHI

DHIYO YO NAH PRACHODAYAT

AUM APO JYOTIH RASOMRITAM BRAHMA BHUR BHUVAH SVAR AUM.

AUM is the one Spirit animating the boundless universe or existence. AUM becomes mere existence, existing objects (bhuh- geospheric physical state of material), moving and feeling entities (bhuvah- biospheric living state of matter and life), thinking and reflecting beings (svah- self-conscious of mind), scientific, rational persons (mahah- wider perspective of self-awareness), awakened human beings (janah- consciousness of humanity in the individual), hatching expanding consciousness (tapah- consciousness of totality coming into being in individuality through the fire of meditation), and the hatched truth (satyam- pure awareness of being).

AUM is That (tat) awe-inspiring (varenyam) source of everything (savitur) - whether material, biological or psychological, giver of light (devasya), the ultimate self-effulgent (bhargo) principle, which is fit to be meditated upon (dhimahi).

May that (yo) realization, born out of meditation (dhiyo), guide and enlighten (prachodayat) us (nah).

AUM is all-pervading like space (apo), a light unto itself (jyotir), a most subtle essence (rasam) that cannot be eliminated (amritam) by any means whatsoever.

For AUM is self-existent (bhur), self-cognizant (bhuvah), and self-fulfilling (svah).

Such is the glory of the One Spirit, which is one without a second, the truth, the substratum, substance and soul of everything that is known, knowable, unknown and unknowable.

It is only when an individual's attentive consciousness rises from the individualistic self-consciousness to the indivisible integrated awareness of existence that spirituality comes into being. The higher and finer dimensions of AUM or the One Timeless Original Principle, which is  Absolute, Unmanifest, Manifest, can be realized only in the awakened, boundless, motionless, centreless, silent Presence of the mind, which is the common and shared space and moment of all living beings, especially human beings.

Meditation means leaving the grosser, structured, superficial, conditioned, outer dimensions of self to penetrate the inner, subtler and finer realms of the Presence of the awakened mind. Meditation starts at the individual human body-breath-brain level but flows through the collective human and universal mind into the indivisible Presence and absolute Ground of Being.

AUM is one Spirit becoming the whole of existence and the totality of humanity or human consciousness existing in space at any given point in time. Humanity or human consciousness, born out of the universal movement and individualization process (karma brahmodbhavam: gita), is one, dual and multiple at the same time. It is one as the human mind or consciousness, which has become dual as manhood (Manu or Adam) and womanhood (Shakti or Eve) in order to individualize or become individual units, which are multiple in forms, shapes, humours, colours, potentialities and personalities (shatarupa). The individuals or personals are called Manav, Stree, Admi, Avrat, etc.

Each personal or person is but a particular representative or partial form (avatar) of humanity.  The persons or individual units exist in humanity and through humanity and likewise humanity exists through the persons; but the totality of all persons at any given point in time or at all possible points in time does not make the totality of humanity. The whole is more than the sum of all its parts and constituents. It is humanity who becomes each and every person through the process of procreation. It is humanity who is born at each birth of a person and who dies at the death of each person. It is humanity that constantly takes birth and embraces death. The theory of reincarnation applies to humanity or the global human consciousness and not to any partial personal unit, which is but a manifest sample of the unmanifest population. Rebirth (punarapi jananam) means humanity being born in new forms through procreation. Redeath (punarapi maranam: bhaja govindam) means humanity discarding yet another partial body. Rebirth and redeath are proper to humanity while birth and death are proper to individual persons. This reality is sometimes difficult to be recognized and realized by a person who is at the mahah stage or sensory-mental-intellectual-rational level. It can only be realized and appreciated by one who has at least reached the janah dimension through deep observation, reflection and contemplation.  One usually reaches depth when one has the courage to go beyond the shallow shores of traditional beliefs and self-centred concepts and theories.

Humanity or the universal in and as human consciousness (janah) has an identity, a being of its own. It operates through its personal or individual agencies or representatives, which are subjected to a number of factors, forces and conditions linked to the procreative, individualization, genetic, environmental, climatic, cultural, adaptive and transgenerational processes. It is those partial personal agencies, as representatives of the absolute, universal, human, ancestral and parental principles, who take birth, grow, evolve, experience, act, react, procreate, bequeath, decay, die, decompose and disappear. They are but particular waves of the ocean, leaves of the tree, letters of the word, and sentences of the story script.

Humanity, through its partial personal entities, performs actions and reactions (karma), which produce consequences (karmaphala) to the immediate, actual initiator of such actions/reactions during his lifespan as well as to others related and unrelated to him, to the present environment and populations and to the future ones. It's a complex process that sweeps wider, larger, deeper and longer than any personal mind could think or imagine. This is the law of action and consequences or Karma. This law applies mainly to human consciousness or humanity and affects humanity as a whole, present manifestations as well as future incarnations of humanity.

The restriction of the realities of Karma and Reincarnation to the individual instead of the global was a major mistake committed by brains operating at a lower level of consciousness and had led to a distortion of a law that applies not just to humanity but to any species in the biosphere. In nature's mind, so to say, humanhood, doghood, cathood, lionhood, or any other biological-hood, for that matter, operate under the same universal laws with only minimal variations depending on the level of evolution of the species.

Please, meditate, reflect, test and check for yourself the validity of these observations presented most humbly to you.  These are not novel theories or notions to be blindly accepted but thought-provoking stimuli to be aptly responded to.

Thank you for your attention. May the Light shine in and through your awakened mind. May Love exude from your hearts through the sense of oneness with the whole of existence and the Ground of Being.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

DemonStarSummer3

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 6:34am | IP Logged
Never a day passes when I do not chant the gayatri, it has become a part of me in some ways.
They say it is an unselfish mantra in that it does not ask for any favours from the gods except for the removal of ignorance.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

DemonStar

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 9:33am | IP Logged
^^ There is some confusion regarding the later part of the explanation though.........
Ermm
 "This is the law of action and consequences or Karma. This law applies mainly to human consciousness or humanity and affects humanity as a whole, present manifestations as well as future incarnations of humanity.

The restriction of the realities of Karma and Reincarnation to the individual instead of the global was a major mistake committed by brains operating at a lower level of consciousness and had led to a distortion of a law that applies not just to humanity but to any species in the biosphere. "

casper2

Goldie

casper2

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 11:07am | IP Logged

Mantras are said to be powerful and supposed to work even without understanding the meaning.

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 8:36pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by crazy_sunny

Mantras are said to be powerful and supposed to work even without understanding the meaning.
sometimes if not properly done it may be ineffective and there can be consequences.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top