Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Prayers,Songs,Mantras and Gayatri Mantra (Page 7)

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 07 July 2010 at 10:25pm | IP Logged

Gayatri can be chanted anytime. Done whle bathing it cleanses our minds too. It can also be used as a prayer before eating, although there is a separate prayer for food. i came across this:

The presiding deity of the Gayatri Mantra is Lord Sun. Gayatri is personified as a goddess, the consort of Brahma (Sarasvati), and mother of the Vedas.

The Gayatri Mantra is never chanted for the purposes of material gains, physical or otherwise. Its very invocation concludes with an appeal to the pure Consciousness to illumine more our heart-mind.
It is a prayer unto the Self to unveil itself and come to manifest as pure wisdom in our life.

The Gayatri Mantra is one of the oldest available Divine hymns.
In the ancient Vedic literature, this mantra is dedicated to the deity Sun. This mantra is sung in the Vedic-meter called Gayatri. This is considered to be the most important mantra written out in Gayatri meter, and therefore, by tradition, this mantra has come to be known as Gayatri.

It has actually been observed that by the repetition of this Gayatri Mantra with the right understanding of its sacred meaning, the ordinary negative tendencies in the human mind can be erased out to a large extent.

It is believed that for any one frightened in the dark, immediate chanting of the Gayatri Mantra is advised to get over the nervousness of the fright.

It is also believed that on starting any important and great work if a person detects some bad omen, that person must immediately sit down and chant eleven times the Gayatri. If on starting again, he meets with a new set of bad omens then he is to sit down again and chant the Gayatri for sixteen times, to remove the effects of the bad omen encountered.

qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 07 July 2010 at 10:33pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Summer3

Gayatri can be chanted anytime. Done whle bathing it cleanses our minds too. It can also be used as a prayer before eating, although there is a separate prayer for food. i came across this:

The presiding deity of the Gayatri Mantra is Lord Sun. Gayatri is personified as a goddess, the consort of Brahma (Sarasvati), and mother of the Vedas.

The Gayatri Mantra is never chanted for the purposes of material gains, physical or otherwise. Its very invocation concludes with an appeal to the pure Consciousness to illumine more our heart-mind.
It is a prayer unto the Self to unveil itself and come to manifest as pure wisdom in our life.

The Gayatri Mantra is one of the oldest available Divine hymns.
In the ancient Vedic literature, this mantra is dedicated to the deity Sun. This mantra is sung in the Vedic-meter called Gayatri. This is considered to be the most important mantra written out in Gayatri meter, and therefore, by tradition, this mantra has come to be known as Gayatri.

It has actually been observed that by the repetition of this Gayatri Mantra with the right understanding of its sacred meaning, the ordinary negative tendencies in the human mind can be erased out to a large extent.

It is believed that for any one frightened in the dark, immediate chanting of the Gayatri Mantra is advised to get over the nervousness of the fright.

It is also believed that on starting any important and great work if a person detects some bad omen, that person must immediately sit down and chant eleven times the Gayatri. If on starting again, he meets with a new set of bad omens then he is to sit down again and chant the Gayatri for sixteen times, to remove the effects of the bad omen encountered.

I am talking technically it is offered to the sun.. which is why the dawn and dusk.. thing now like i said earlier.. anyone can chant it anywhere.even women can chant it now!!??. there is no check there. this is strictly from experience as  technicalities matter, when we perform the rituals.. wont be suprised if people do remixes and what not!

Edited by qwertyesque - 07 July 2010 at 10:38pm
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 07 July 2010 at 11:56pm | IP Logged
Qwerty ji you are right.
Normally in chanting it I do also think of the Sun or the Resplendent One. Guess early morning chanting sets the right tone for the rest of the day.

Gayatri Meter is very specail too and it has been specially formulated to achieve the desired effect.
hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 4:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by qwertyesque

Originally posted by hindu4lyf

I think one mantra that has always been close to my heart is the Gayatri Mantra. As a kid, I was always taught that the Gayatri Mantra is the Mother of all Mantras and if you repeat this Mantra and understand its meaning when chanting it, then you will always be protected by Maa. :)

I also find myself chanting Hare Rama, Hare Krishna all the time.

</div>

<div>
Gayatri is not for girls and secondly it shouldnt be broadcast... its a secret mantra. People make fashion out of tradition...

What exactly do you mean by 'secret' mantra? I am not boasting about it, just responding to the OP as what I consider to be the Holiest Mantra.
Traditionally, yes it was passed from father to son, but as per my knowledge, it was never restricted to just males. Any human being is free to chant this mantra. I think we should be aware of the difference between what religion asks of us, and the general traditions and rules of society, many of which have been going on for centuries.
Gayatri Maa will be with all women and men, wherever and whenever they chant. :)

Btw, yes Gayatri is not the same as HRHK but some people may feel they benefit more from chanting HRHK, especially ISKCON devotees.

I guess, it doesn't really matter to me or affect me in any way if someone says girls shouldn't chant the Gayatri Mantra, because no matter what, I will continue to do so. Smile

@Mr.K: All my cousin brothers are devotees of Lord Hanuman and they're quite fond of the Hanuman Chalisa. Smile

At the end of the day, different mantras have different affects. Some feel that chanting a certain mantra will benefit them more than chanting another.
CunningLinguist IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 5:38am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 7:12am | IP Logged
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

[QUOTE=hindu4lyf]I think one mantra that has always been close to my heart is the Gayatri Mantra. As a kid, I was always taught that the Gayatri Mantra is the Mother of all Mantras and if you repeat this Mantra and understand its meaning when chanting it, then you will always be protected by Maa. :)

I also find myself chanting Hare Rama, Hare Krishna all the time.

</div>

<div>
Gayatri is not for girls and secondly it shouldnt be broadcast... its a secret mantra. People make fashion out of tradition...

What exactly do you mean by 'secret' mantra? I am not boasting about it, just responding to the OP as what I consider to be the Holiest Mantra. not to be chanted aloud and passed along in a whisper...traditionally speaking...chanted 2-3 times a day...
Traditionally, yes it was passed from father to son, but as per my knowledge, it was never restricted to just males. Any human being is free to chant this mantra. I think we should be aware of the difference between what religion asks of us, and the general traditions and rules of society, many of which have been going on for centuries.
Gayatri Maa will be with all women and men, wherever and whenever they chant. :)

Btw, yes Gayatri is not the same as HRHK but some people may feel they benefit more from chanting HRHK, especially ISKCON devotees.

I guess, it doesn't really matter to me or affect me in any way if someone says girls shouldn't chant the Gayatri Mantra, because no matter what, I will continue to do so. Smile
QUOTE]
qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 7:15am | IP Logged

Qwerty ji you are right.
Normally in chanting it I do also think of the Sun or the Resplendent One. Guess early morning chanting sets the right tone for the rest of the day.

Gayatri Meter is very specail too and it has been specially formulated to achieve the desired effect.

I used to do it regularly in mornings (Pratah sandhya) and evenings.. but some do it in the noon as well but I dont know what are the traditional rules around since there is an eniter cd dedicated to this chanting...
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 8:43am | IP Logged

Qwerty ji you are right.

I used to do it regularly in mornings (Pratah sandhya) and evenings.. but some do it in the noon as well but I dont know what are the traditional rules around since there is an eniter cd dedicated to this chanting...
I think there are no hard and fast rules but I know that it is advisable for serious followers of the spiritual path have get up very early during the Brahma-muhurrta period and do the Om Mantra etc followed by the chanting of the Gayatri before doing some meditations and/or other spiritual practises. So basically they also sleep early.
They may have their prayer times during the day and evenings too.
As the spiritual priactise progresses they become calmer and more controlled. If anger, hatred and other negative qualities still persist then they have to reexamine themselves to see if they are on the wrong path.
In the begining the wayward mind will also be major setback.

I think at one time the Gayatri was reserved only for the Brahmins. some say a Brahmin is any person who follows the Godward path.
I hope the Gayatri Mantra will be with me even in my future births; if not my life would be such a waste.

Go to top