Users

Frequent Posters

hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

</div>

<div>
Gayatri is not for girls and secondly it shouldnt be broadcast... its a secret mantra. People make fashion out of tradition...

What exactly do you mean by 'secret' mantra? I am not boasting about it, just responding to the OP as what I consider to be the Holiest Mantra.
Traditionally, yes it was passed from father to son, but as per my knowledge, it was never restricted to just males. Any human being is free to chant this mantra. I think we should be aware of the difference between what religion asks of us, and the general traditions and rules of society, many of which have been going on for centuries.
Gayatri Maa will be with all women and men, wherever and whenever they chant. :)

Btw, yes Gayatri is not the same as HRHK but some people may feel they benefit more from chanting HRHK, especially ISKCON devotees.

I guess, it doesn't really matter to me or affect me in any way if someone says girls shouldn't chant the Gayatri Mantra, because no matter what, I will continue to do so. 😊

@Mr.K: All my cousin brothers are devotees of Lord Hanuman and they're quite fond of the Hanuman Chalisa. 😊

At the end of the day, different mantras have different affects. Some feel that chanting a certain mantra will benefit them more than chanting another.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmazu-NgkNs[/YOUTUBE]
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: hindu4lyf

What exactly do you mean by 'secret' mantra? I am not boasting about it, just responding to the OP as what I consider to be the Holiest Mantra. not to be chanted aloud and passed along in a whisper...traditionally speaking...chanted 2-3 times a day...
Traditionally, yes it was passed from father to son, but as per my knowledge, it was never restricted to just males. Any human being is free to chant this mantra. I think we should be aware of the difference between what religion asks of us, and the general traditions and rules of society, many of which have been going on for centuries.
Gayatri Maa will be with all women and men, wherever and whenever they chant. :)

Btw, yes Gayatri is not the same as HRHK but some people may feel they benefit more from chanting HRHK, especially ISKCON devotees.

I guess, it doesn't really matter to me or affect me in any way if someone says girls shouldn't chant the Gayatri Mantra, because no matter what, I will continue to do so. 😊
QUOTE]

qwertyesque thumbnail

Originally posted by: Summer3

Qwerty ji you are right.

Normally in chanting it I do also think of the Sun or the Resplendent One. Guess early morning chanting sets the right tone for the rest of the day.

Gayatri Meter is very specail too and it has been specially formulated to achieve the desired effect.

I used to do it regularly in mornings (Pratah sandhya) and evenings.. but some do it in the noon as well but I dont know what are the traditional rules around since there is an eniter cd dedicated to this chanting...
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

I used to do it regularly in mornings (Pratah sandhya) and evenings.. but some do it in the noon as well but I dont know what are the traditional rules around since there is an eniter cd dedicated to this chanting...

I think there are no hard and fast rules but I know that it is advisable for serious followers of the spiritual path have get up very early during the Brahma-muhurrta period and do the Om Mantra etc followed by the chanting of the Gayatri before doing some meditations and/or other spiritual practises. So basically they also sleep early.
They may have their prayer times during the day and evenings too.
As the spiritual priactise progresses they become calmer and more controlled. If anger, hatred and other negative qualities still persist then they have to reexamine themselves to see if they are on the wrong path.
In the begining the wayward mind will also be major setback.

I think at one time the Gayatri was reserved only for the Brahmins. some say a Brahmin is any person who follows the Godward path.
I hope the Gayatri Mantra will be with me even in my future births; if not my life would be such a waste.
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I really do not believe in God, mantras, prayers etc.. but there's a stotram that I really like, might be the tune or maybe 'cos I was projected to that stotram through the music lessons I took as a kid and am sentimental ..The meaning of the song is not so good, but just that attachment I have with the song! ..

It's Mahishasura Mardini Stotram..

Ayi giri nandini, nandhitha medhini,
Viswa vinodhini nandanuthe,
Girivara vindhya sirodhi nivasini,
Vishnu Vilasini Jishnu nuthe,
Bhagawathi hey sithi kanda kudumbini,
Bhoori kudumbini bhoori kruthe,
Jaya Jaya hey Mahishasura mardini,
Ramya kapardini, shaila Suthe...

:D
qwertyesque thumbnail

I think there are no hard and fast rules but I know that it is advisable for serious followers of the spiritual path have get up very early during the Brahma-muhurrta period and do the Om Mantra etc followed by the chanting of the Gayatri before doing some meditations and/or other spiritual practises. So basically they also sleep early.
They may have their prayer times during the day and evenings too.
As the spiritual priactise progresses they become calmer and more controlled. If anger, hatred and other negative qualities still persist then they have to reexamine themselves to see if they are on the wrong path.
In the begining the wayward mind will also be major setback.

I think at one time the Gayatri was reserved only for the Brahmins. some say a Brahmin is any person who follows the Godward path.
I hope the Gayatri Mantra will be with me even in my future births; if not my life would be such a waste.

Summy i agree with your logic.. my  point is I am sure Gayatri has been treated secretively.. like i said earlier.... it shouldnt be chanted aloud, women cant chant it, cant be chanted at anytome etc... ok.. now why this specific mantra and not ohers.. is my question.. there has to be good reason behind this...
Summer3 thumbnail

Qwerty ji I think the rules were all man made.
God is superintelligent and beyond normal logic.
qwertyesque thumbnail

Qwerty ji I think the rules were all man made.
God is superintelligent and beyond normal logic.

Summer3 thumbnail
Frankly I also use the Gayatri Mantra when I am playing games or need some Divine assistance while playing some table games or even gambling.
I must bow down to its magic.
I hope in every life time the Gayatri becomes the core of my existence.
The touch of Gayatri makes us intelligent and think clearly too, sharpening our Buddhi.

Bless us all Gayatri Ma.