BlueMystique

IF-Rockerz

BlueMystique

Posted: 13 March 2013 at 9:28am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Aanya.

Originally posted by Krani

Originally posted by BlueMystique

Originally posted by Angel-Jot.

Also, we've decided that members that plagiarize for the first time [no matter what amount] will get a warning level raise and the thread will be temporarily locked for 3 days. Members that continue to plagiarize, will get a temporary ban for a week plus the trashing of the thread[s]. But it all depends on the severity of the situation. The more plagiarism done by the member, the harsher the consequences. And plus, when we take action, we do it publicly so members find out anyway. What's the need for a Hall of Shame? Please do be aware however, that we need to speak to the GMs about the banning yet. Once, it's confirmed, we'll let you know.

Jot, you really are fast to respond, and you do deal with issues very quickly. Please don't mind that I am bringing up the same thing over and over again.

I have recently come to know of a situation on fanfiction.net, where a very popular HP author was weaving together dialogues from different books to make her own story. She was popular, had quite a following, and could write very well. The only thing she plagiarized were the dialogues, which she used without crediting. Do you know how they handled that? They made sure that the plagiarism was actually happening, and once they were sure, they scrapped her entire story, banned her permanently, and informed other major HP fanfic sites of the plagiarism as well, following which she was banned from every single one of them.

And THAT is the reason people are scared as hell when they even think about plagiarizing on that site, and if it does happen, and it's proven, they are banned, no questions asked, with no measure to how much they had actually copied.

And now I ask again, why won't you ban members permanently when they plagiarize? Why do you protect them over people who are honestly trying to put their work out here?

^whatshesaid 

That is the reason FF.net is popular and people feel safe sharing their work because the writers are protected as opposed to plagiarisers. 

I agree. I'm not saying we are lenient/nonchalant in dealing with plagiarism but why do we have to increase the warning in small increments each time plagiarism occurs? It's almost like waiting for them to plagiarize. I think the story should be deleted right from the beginning. Plagiarism is plagiarism, there's no degree for it.

Banning the person would be harsh since this isn't a forum exclusively for FFs but we can definitely increase their WL to the max.

At least that's how I feel :)

But isn't harsh exactly what this forum needs? Why should it matter that this forum isn't only for FFs? It's a crime to infringe on copyright, and it should be punished. WL raise isn't doing anything as we can clearly see, so why don't they try out banning the member the minute they plagiarize, and see how that works out?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Krani

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "General Complaints Thread... (Page 125)" in Fan Fictions forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

vfordonkey

IF-Rockerz

vfordonkey

Posted: 13 March 2013 at 10:35am | IP Logged
Jot - See, the Hall of Shame is something that should be up to the mods. The opposers of the idea, and the supporters of the ideas have strong points to back them up. Both the arguments make sense to me.

As for raising WL's, I think it should be applied to members who break forum rules, and not to something like plagiarism. For plagiarism, banning should be mandatory. By saying that WL's will be raised, IF automatically says that the rules it has established for the harmonious working of the forum and plagiarism (which is an actual crime and can land you up in jail) to be of the same level.

As you said, you have been plagiarised too, and you therefore know how painful it is, to see your work being stolen. Can this issue please be raised in front of people with higher authorities.

Or even better, can a meeting be arranged with Vijay and us, so WE can talk - face to face - so as Vijay can understand our position better?

-V

Angel-Jot.

Angel-Jot.

I-F Crazy Creatives Head, BollyCurry Screen Writer

Posted: 13 March 2013 at 5:57pm | IP Logged
Guys.. just give us some time.. We're discussing the new rules and whatnot so nothing is set in stone as of yet. I'll update you guys here continuously as i've been doing and when everything has officially been decided, a post will be up announcing it for everyone. But I'll definitely pass on your opinions to Radha.. this will help us in making the rules better. =]

And i'm sorry but the Hall of Shame thread is a strict no.

As for the FF in the spotlight thread.. Rabia is working on the next one. It'll be up as soon as she has time. =)

Edited by Angel-Jot. - 13 March 2013 at 5:58pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

vfordonkey.Dulcet

lazyleaves

IF-Stunnerz

lazyleaves

Posted: 13 March 2013 at 11:26pm | IP Logged
^Thank you :-)

Also please you make the announcement on different forums about the writer to writer thread.

And please forward the suggestion of not allowing newbies to send any PMs to people who are not on their list.

Thanks once again :-)

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

vfordonkey

lazyleaves

IF-Stunnerz

lazyleaves

Posted: 13 March 2013 at 11:52pm | IP Logged
Wrong forum :-P

Edited by lazyleaves - 13 March 2013 at 11:52pm

.Dulcet

IF-Stunnerz

.Dulcet

Posted: 14 March 2013 at 3:21am | IP Logged
thank youu Angel-Jot, waiting for the next FF in the Spotlight! :)

totally love the idea!

Angel-Jot.

Angel-Jot.

Posted: 14 March 2013 at 5:22pm | IP Logged
I guess i'll PM the mods of the major forums [IPK, Qubool Hai, Madhubala, Saraswatichandra, Punar Vivah & Pavitra Rishta].. and then have them sticky a thread with the link to the writer - reader - writer thread.. for a while.. 

Edited by Angel-Jot. - 14 March 2013 at 5:23pm

Angel-Jot.

Angel-Jot.

Posted: 14 March 2013 at 6:17pm | IP Logged
New thread!

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3485465&PID=78211306&#78211306

Post Reply New Post

Go to top