Post Reply New Post

Page 124 of 125

Krani

IF-Dazzler

Krani

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 10:12pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by BlueMystique

Originally posted by Angel-Jot.

Also, we've decided that members that plagiarize for the first time [no matter what amount] will get a warning level raise and the thread will be temporarily locked for 3 days. Members that continue to plagiarize, will get a temporary ban for a week plus the trashing of the thread[s]. But it all depends on the severity of the situation. The more plagiarism done by the member, the harsher the consequences. And plus, when we take action, we do it publicly so members find out anyway. What's the need for a Hall of Shame? Please do be aware however, that we need to speak to the GMs about the banning yet. Once, it's confirmed, we'll let you know.

Jot, you really are fast to respond, and you do deal with issues very quickly. Please don't mind that I am bringing up the same thing over and over again.

I have recently come to know of a situation on fanfiction.net, where a very popular HP author was weaving together dialogues from different books to make her own story. She was popular, had quite a following, and could write very well. The only thing she plagiarized were the dialogues, which she used without crediting. Do you know how they handled that? They made sure that the plagiarism was actually happening, and once they were sure, they scrapped her entire story, banned her permanently, and informed other major HP fanfic sites of the plagiarism as well, following which she was banned from every single one of them.

And THAT is the reason people are scared as hell when they even think about plagiarizing on that site, and if it does happen, and it's proven, they are banned, no questions asked, with no measure to how much they had actually copied.

And now I ask again, why won't you ban members permanently when they plagiarize? Why do you protect them over people who are honestly trying to put their work out here?

^whatshesaid 

That is the reason FF.net is popular and people feel safe sharing their work because the writers are protected as opposed to plagiarisers. 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Aanya.BlueMystiquelazyleaves

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "General Complaints Thread... (Page 124)" in Fan Fictions forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Aanya.

IF-Rockerz

Aanya.

Posted: 13 March 2013 at 3:45am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Krani

Also, we've decided that members that plagiarize for the first time [no matter what amount] will get a warning level raise and the thread will be temporarily locked for 3 days. Members that continue to plagiarize, will get a temporary ban for a week plus the trashing of the thread[s]. But it all depends on the severity of the situation. The more plagiarism done by the member, the harsher the consequences. And plus, when we take action, we do it publicly so members find out anyway. What's the need for a Hall of Shame? Please do be aware however, that we need to speak to the GMs about the banning yet. Once, it's confirmed, we'll let you know.

Jot, you really are fast to respond, and you do deal with issues very quickly. Please don't mind that I am bringing up the same thing over and over again.

I have recently come to know of a situation on fanfiction.net, where a very popular HP author was weaving together dialogues from different books to make her own story. She was popular, had quite a following, and could write very well. The only thing she plagiarized were the dialogues, which she used without crediting. Do you know how they handled that? They made sure that the plagiarism was actually happening, and once they were sure, they scrapped her entire story, banned her permanently, and informed other major HP fanfic sites of the plagiarism as well, following which she was banned from every single one of them.

And THAT is the reason people are scared as hell when they even think about plagiarizing on that site, and if it does happen, and it's proven, they are banned, no questions asked, with no measure to how much they had actually copied.

And now I ask again, why won't you ban members permanently when they plagiarize? Why do you protect them over people who are honestly trying to put their work out here?

^whatshesaid 

That is the reason FF.net is popular and people feel safe sharing their work because the writers are protected as opposed to plagiarisers. 

I agree. I'm not saying we are lenient/nonchalant in dealing with plagiarism but why do we have to increase the warning in small increments each time plagiarism occurs? It's almost like waiting for them to plagiarize. I think the story should be deleted right from the beginning. Plagiarism is plagiarism, there's no degree for it.

Banning the person would be harsh since this isn't a forum exclusively for FFs but we can definitely increase their WL to the max.

At least that's how I feel :)

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Krani

AraBearxx

IF-Rockerz

AraBearxx

Posted: 13 March 2013 at 4:08am | IP Logged

When writers plagiarize they ASK or lierally beg for attacks. Try plagiarising on wattpad or one direction fanfiction or twilighted. . . They'll ruin you. They wee not lineant and THEY knew what they were doing, both the admins and the writers. No criminal is let go of, and this is a C R I M E. No offense Harjot. I love you as a mod but I am very particular when it comes to such stuff. And this thread is more than a complaint box. If we din really discuss the stories plagiarised, there could be 'hoax' comments and complaints where users tot stuff was plagiarised. 

Krani

AraBearxx

IF-Rockerz

AraBearxx

Posted: 13 March 2013 at 4:10am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Aanya.

^whatshesaid 

I agree. I'm not saying we are lenient/nonchalant in dealing with plagiarism but why do we have to increase the warning in small increments each time plagiarism occurs? It's almost like waiting for them to plagiarize. I think the story should be deleted right from the beginning. Plagiarism is plagiarism, there's no degree for it.

Banning the person would be harsh since this isn't a forum exclusively for FFs but we can definitely increase their WL to the max.

At least that's how I feel :)

Or public embrassment. AJ, whatever you do it is PERSONAL! The readers don't even know half the time that they're loved author is plagiarising and the HOF it deals with it well. You could just announce or discuss. Such public punishments WILL AFFECT THE AMT OF PLAGIARISM IN THIS FORUM, It will decrease it.

Krani

Krani

IF-Dazzler

Krani

Posted: 13 March 2013 at 4:29am | IP Logged
Also I'll be honest, I don't think that the possibility a plagiariser may be attacked by other members should be a reason we shouldn't take strict action. 

If you are afraid of this, then just delete that username. If they come back with an MID, and commit an offence again, we'll do teh same thing again - surely a person who is too lazy to make their own story will tire of making more accounts. 

Also they will run out of stories to plagairise with every MID. 

But with a Hall of Shame, even the readers are aware of which members to avoid reading the work of - and if the plagiarisers are not getting any comments or likes, they will stop. 

~K

Edited by Krani - 13 March 2013 at 7:38am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Aanya.AraBearxx

AraBearxx

IF-Rockerz

AraBearxx

Posted: 13 March 2013 at 4:32am | IP Logged

Also I'll be honest, I don't think that the reason a plagiariser may be attacked by other members should be a reason we shouldn't take strict action. 

If you are afraid of this, then just delete that username. If they come back with an MID, and commit an offence again, we'll do teh same thing again - surely a person who is too lazy to make their own story will tire of making more accounts. 

But with a Hall of Shame, even the readers are aware of which members to avoid reading the work of - and if the plagiarisers are not getting any comments or likes, they will stop. 

~K

I think the main reason for "P" is the crving for appreciations and once that's gone(the appreciation) . . . 

Krani

Krani

IF-Dazzler

Krani

Posted: 13 March 2013 at 5:35am | IP Logged
Originally posted by AraBearxx

Also I'll be honest, I don't think that the reason a plagiariser may be attacked by other members should be a reason we shouldn't take strict action. 

~K

I think the main reason for "P" is the crving for appreciations and once that's gone(the appreciation) . . . 

Exactly my point! They do it for the quick fame and attention and if they are included on the list and shamed publicly their reader list will die like that as well. 

I am seriously confused about why the plagiarisers are being protected when it's the writers of original stories that get hurt by their actions. 

AraBearxx

.Dulcet

IF-Stunnerz

.Dulcet

Posted: 13 March 2013 at 7:00am | IP Logged
being a non-writer, i would be very happy, if there are more "FanFiction in the Spotlight" :D

:)

-shilpa

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

KraniAanya.AraBearxxvfordonkey-Alina.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top