Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Angel-Jot thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago
^maybe mention the author and give them credit for the inspiration but yeah, that's fine.
Krani thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9

Originally posted by: Angel-Jot.

^maybe mention the author and give them credit for the inspiration but yeah, that's fine.

If the author/writer is from IF, shouldn't permission be asked for as well first?
Nmyra thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5

In bold - Fine. If that is how the DT sees it the story should be put on alert. I say this because the story was originally posted as Arina_R a writer whose work has recently been uncovered to be heavily plagiarized on at least 6 counts. 

The 'new' author - who has now popped up as a new 'ID' once Arina's plagiarism was brought to light has claimed that Arina was only doing her a favor and posting for her - the her being -Titaliya_AP. She has also been relentlessly scrapping random members - I for one am quite fed up with her trying to force her FF down my throat and am willing to file a complaint.

My question is kind of related to this, so i am quoting here. Like you said, the writer took the basic storyline from another show, hence there is no plagiarism here. Even if the basic characters and plot line are the same. 

Now if i were to write a story, take the basic basis for my story from another writer's work, considering i add my own scenes,twists,gradual character development and my own dialogues but keep the characters same, their back story same and perceived ending the same as the author whom i am taking the concept from. That would be okay?  Can i call that story fully mines?

Will be waiting for your reply :)

Um I've seen the Vewbie reply to this but I feel i need to say this - How is it that the DT seems to think it is okay to copy an entire plot and story from another writer FF or Professional and call it someone's own work with a minimal amount of personal 'tweeks' --- that certainly doesn't sound fair. 

However on taking entire character back-stories the concept is called - Crossover Fiction

Such would be a FF that merges two realities such as Harry Potter and IPK and then continues from there on.
InvisibleSmile thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6

Very interesting. Actually i posed the question because i wanted to know what your answer would be. What you are saying is it would not be plagiarism. But a friend of mine faced a primal suspension for one month, in one of her Literature courses for doing exactly what you said would be okay to do. I think you should not be negligent with such cases. A author puts a lot of work to develop a concept, entwine the characters within the plot, with their back story and how it would all combine towards that cathartic moment. In real life you could possibly face a lawsuit, because what the FF writer is doing constitutes as plagiarism.

Particularly, the story involved, '' there is no beauty without beast''  the concept is taken from a show, Beauty and the Beast. I find it odd how any writer would allow some other writer to divulge into the character they had so carefully built. I have seen the show and read the first update of the FF.  Ie; Beauty in the show is a cop, haunted by her past relating to her mother. In the FF, the character khushi is also a cop haunted by her past, relating to her mother. And than in the show, there is an investigation going on where Catherine(beauty) is dealing with a case and finds finger prints on the victims body who is model, leading her to discover the beast (Vincent). Primarily in the first update of the FF the writer has just switched the victim from a model to a fashion editor, and instead of finding a finger print, there is a hair found on the body leading her to discover; Arnav Singh Raizada. I just find it ironic that you found nothing wrong with this.

And the FF writer has not credited the show, she has been vague that she was inspired by a show. Also, please ask her, to keep her characters and twists distinct from the show, or add a disclaimer in relation to it.

Just my personal POV, no offense to anyone.

Edited by InvisibleSmile - 11 years ago
Nmyra thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: InvisibleSmile

Very interesting. Actually i posed the question because i wanted to know what your answer would be. What you are saying is it would not be plagiarism. But a friend of mine faced a primal suspension for one month, in one of her Literature courses for doing exactly what you said would be okay to do. I think you should not be negligent with such cases. A author puts a lot of work to develop a concept, entwine the characters within the plot, with their back story and how it would all combine towards that cathartic moment. In real life you could possibly face a lawsuit, because what the FF writer is doing constitutes as plagiarism.

Particularly, the story involved, '' there is no beauty without beast''  the concept is taken from a show, Beauty and the Beast. I find it odd how any writer would allow some other writer to divulge into the character they had so carefully built. I have seen the show and read the first update of the FF.  Ie; Beauty in the show is a cop, haunted by her past relating to her mother. In the FF, the character khushi is also a cop haunted by her past, relating to her mother. And than in the show, there is an investigation going on where Catherine(beauty) is dealing with a case and finds finger prints on the victims body who is model, leading her to discover the beast (Vincent). Primarily in the first update of the FF the writer has just switched the victim from a model to a fashion editor, and instead of finding a finger print, there is a hair found on body, leading her to discover; Arnav Singh Raizada. I just find it ironic that you found nothing wrong with this.

And the FF writer has not credited the show, she has been vague that she was inspired by a show. Also, please ask her, to keep her characters and twists distinct from the show, or add a disclaimer in relation to it.

Just my personal POV, no offense to anyone.

AGREED.AGREED.AGREED.<------ Not much else to say here.
reflorated thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Nmyra

AGREED.AGREED.AGREED.<------ Not much else to say here.

Agreed

ps- you put the point across more clearly than I ever could. :)
Angel-Jot thumbnail
Alright so,  maybe I need to consider this more than I did. I guess unless the author themselves gives the other permission to use their concept, it shouldn't be allowed. Is that fine with you guys?
Just crediting isn't enough correct?

And as I mentioned earlier about the FF, if the member is taking each episode of the show and the incidents and using those in each chapter, I can take action. And InvisibleSmile, thank you for letting me know that, that is in fact the case.

We're always open to ideas and suggestions of the members of this forum guys. If you don't agree with our decision and feel we're not doing the right thing, you can always call us out on it -which is exactly what you guys did right now and i'm actually thankful to you all for that. It helps us make the forum a better place. =]

Oh and the MID. 🤔 I'm still not getting this here. She's not just using it to post her FF, is what you guys are telling me? She's sending PM's to read her FF? Have you told her not to? If she's still bothering you guys, i can bring that up with her as well. And if it's really serious, I can get the ID banned.

UPDATE!

I've posted a note at her thread and locked it.
http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3223389&TPN=27&#67693574

I've also sent her a PM. Just waiting for her response now.
Edited by Angel-Jot. - 11 years ago
Krani thumbnail
Alright, so in light of all that has been revealed, I have another question to ask. 
I am writing an ArHi FF called Parineeta which is mostly adapted from the movie, Parineeta. 
I have a disclaimer citing that my story was adapted from the movie, and loosely inspired from the book. 
Here is the link:

I had asked the DT before posting the story if it would be appropriate and I had been given the green signal, so I went ahead with it. 
I do have a few twists, however I admit that mostly the story is what was shown in the movie.  Like how they marry, separation, etc etc.
Arnav = Shekhar
Khushi = Lolita
Anjali Di = Arnav's elder sister =  Shekhar's mum
Shyam = Arnav's brother-in-law = Shekhar's Dad

So therefore, if this counts for plagiarism, I will stop the story. Let me know. 
There are 3 chapters so far, and the coming chapters will reflect upon Arnav-Khushi's growing friendship and their slow revelation of past. 

Thanks,
K
Angel-Jot thumbnail
According to what has been decided, yes. That would be plagiarism because the storyline isn't original-it's not yours.
Krani thumbnail

According to what has been decided, yes. That would be plagiarism because the storyline isn't original-it's not yours.

Alright fair enough, I'll post a note and stop the story then. 
Thank you,
~K