Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

5 most romantic moments in Bollywood flicks by KJ

jaanlover thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
5 most romantic moments in Bollywood flicks by Karan Johar  

Karan Johar started it all with Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and gave romance a different dimension with his debut effort. A youngster who matured to make films like Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham and Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna in years to follow, Karan is now back with My Name Is Khan which, as per him, is a true love story at an emotional level. As the world gets ready to celebrate Valentines Day with their 'someone special', Karan Johar gets nostalgic and recounts five most romantic scenes on celluloid that have continued to stay with him and inspired him during his growing up years and professional journey. Over to Karan:

Awara (Raj Kapoor and Nargis) - For me, this stays on to be THE most moment of romance on celluloid. It was truly sensuous when Raj Kapoor held Nargis and pulled her hair. There was this mix of anger, aggression and love which turned out to be such a unique and defining moment for cinema. This is the only scene I can recollect from my Bollywood memory where anger has been so sensuous.

Kabhie Kabhie (Amitabh Bachchan, Shashi Kapoor, Rakhee) - I still remember that three way conversation between the three principal protagonists in the film. Yash Chopra brought to fore the predicament of a silent compassionate husband very beautifully. The layers that run have so much in them and so much is said out without any word being uttered. These silences and pauses speak volumes and hence make for one of the most romantic moments created by Yash Chopra. He did the same in Silsila as well with Sanjeev Kumar, and I attempted something similar in Abhishek Bachchan's characterisation for Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna.

Dil Toh Paagal Hai (Shah Rukh Khan, Madhuri Dixit) - Aah, now who can forget that '...aur paas' sequence from the film? Yet again, the man at the helm of affairs was Yash Chopra. Sensuality was at its peak in this scene which is possibly one of the most intimately romantic scenes that I have seen. The way this scene was shot is amazing. Such brilliant chemistry with love, romance and sensuality came together here. Also, it was brilliantly performed by both Shah Rukh and Madhuri. This scene goes on to show that you don't have to show skin to convey sensuality; there is lot more than goes into creating a great moment of romance.

Saheb Biwi Aur Gulam (Meena Kumari, Rehman) - The song 'Naa Jaayo Saiyaan' continues to ring on for me. This was such a wonderful scene about Chhoti Bahu's longing and pining of love. She is obviously in the influence of alcohol and you can see such beautiful expression of love and pain in her eyes. There is so much passion that the scene just jumps on you. I am addicted to the song till date. It was a tough scene but Guru Dutt and his team managed to make it work so exceedingly well for Saheb Biwi Aur Gulam.

Bobby (Rishi Kapoor and Dimple Kapadia) - I just keep thinking of what Raj Kapoor managed to create in the very first meeting of Rishi Kapoor and Dimple. It was all so puppy love after all with Dimple having 'aata' on her hand. It takes you back to your growing up days when everything was so vulnerable. The way Raj Kapoor captured it brought to fore such innocence which has hardly been replicated. There is this teenage spirit to it which lives on till date.