blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 14 years ago
The movie 3 idiots has sparked a lot of debate on whether the parents in India push their kids a lot, pressurize them to get in a profession that is respected and pays as well.
India is a country of billions of people, there is lot of brains and lot of talent but not enough opportunity.
I want to know your views on this matter . Do the parents in India push their kids in professions like engineering and medicine because of their own ambition and desire or is there really a need to do so.

If we think of alternate professions like being a actor,singer, musician, painter, photographer even a sports person .........how many people actually succeed at those considering the vast population and tremendous talent in India...for every success in these fields there are a thousand of failures...what happens to these kids if they don't have any education to back them up....

In a country like US people do succeed in other fields as well because there is not a lot of competition but in a country like India how fair it is to blame the parents all the time...isn't the system at fault for not providing enough opportunities....I know theoretically we should let the kids do whatever they want but in reality how feasible is that.....

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

debayon thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: blue-ice

The movie 3 idiots has sparked a lot of debate on whether the parents in India push their kids a lot, pressurize them to get in a profession that is respected and pays as well.
India is a country of billions of people, there is lot of brains and lot of talent but not enough opportunity.
I want to know your views on this matter . Do the parents in India push their kids in professions like engineering and medicine because of their own ambition and desire or is there really a need to do so.

If we think of alternate professions like being a actor,singer, musician, painter, photographer even a sports person .........how many people actually succeed at those considering the vast population and tremendous talent in India...for every success in these fields there are a thousand of failures...what happens to these kids if they don't have any education to back them up....

In a country like US people do succeed in other fields as well because there is not a lot of competition but in a country like India how fair it is to blame the parents all the time...isn't the system at fault for not providing enough opportunities....I know theoretically we should let the kids do whatever they want but in reality how feasible is that.....

I may not have a say in this, but IMO, many parents do push their kids a lot. But that's because of the country, which is very poor and standard of living is low. If in India, a guy becomes a waiter, he has to have 2 jobs, and it's worse if he has a family. Over here, a waiter can easily afford a flat and support his family. Also, there's high expectations and a bit of ego invovled. We Indians like to show off and if our children do well in life, we tell other people "Arre mere bacche ko toh Harvard mein admission mil gaya, Sharma ji, apko pata hai, mere beti ne Boards mein top kiya hain. Hume bohut khushi ho rahi hai". So, the parents fell bad that if other's children can, why can't his son/daughter? That's when the ego comes in play.
Yes, I agree that the system is partly responsible for these mass suicides and all that. But a college student mainly commits suicide for one of the 2 reasons:
1. Couldn't live up to parent's expectations
2. Boyfriend/Girlfriend two-timing or dumped him/her

@ bold: I don't agree with that statement.

Wah blue ice ji, you have been really influenced by 3 Idiots.πŸ˜†
blue-ice. thumbnail

Originally posted by: debayon

I may not have a say in this, but IMO, many parents do push their kids a lot. But that's because of the country, which is very poor and standard of living is low. If in India, a guy becomes a waiter, he has to have 2 jobs, and it's worse if he has a family. Over here, a waiter can easily afford a flat and support his family. Also, there's high expectations and a bit of ego invovled. We Indians like to show off and if our children do well in life, we tell other people "Arre mere bacche ko toh Harvard mein admission mil gaya, Sharma ji, apko pata hai, mere beti ne Boards mein top kiya hain. Hume bohut khushi ho rahi hai". So, the parents fell bad that if other's children can, why can't his son/daughter? That's when the ego comes in play.

Yes, I agree that the system is partly responsible for these mass suicides and all that. But a college student mainly commits suicide for one of the 2 reasons:

what do u not agree with in the bolded part? people do  succeed in other fields or there is a lot of competition?
yes I agree with u that ego plays a big role in India as far as the achievements are concerened and u have given some real examples of how people talkπŸ˜†πŸ˜†
Regarding the waiter part...besides the earnings once a waiter is out of his job he will be treated like a normal person where as in India a waiter will be treated like a waiter even when he is out of his job....not that there is anything wrong in being a waiter but here in US everyone mingles....

as for my being influenced by 3 idiots noooo way......I really don't go by theories....theories look and work good in the books and movies only.............I do what is right and practical...........because that is the way this world works...asli duniya mein jab life ho out of control.......to sirf hothon ko karke gol .....aal izz well bolne se sab theek nahi ho jaata hai.........I live in the real world Debu...πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
A career choice should be something one has aptitude as well as interest. No aptitude, the person will never succeed, no interest, the person will find it a drag to keep up.

Education makes a person a rounded individual, income is earned through work. Work and education are not always interrelated.

Work should provide both income as well as job satisfaction. Less income means needs are not met, no job satisfaction means that the person will never enjoy their income as they are miserable.

Why are careers seen to be engineers, doctors, or lawyers etc. What about things like media and journalism, digital arts, sales and marketing, logistics, manufacturing, service industry, teaching, research, government services - so many diverse fields that have income potential - but Indian parents fixate on few narrow options.

The careers you list actor, singer etc are arts careers and it is difficult to succeed in them unless you are exceptional. However, even with that people assume they have to be celebrity material. Stage actors, drama schools, wedding and party singers.

Some of the problems with Indian system are
- Overcrowding of schools prevents hands on learning experience. Students are forced to learn by rote. Hands on students fall behind.
- Same thing causes excessive pressure to do too much. Its all make or break. No second chances, no options for creativity or alternate thought.
- Lack of flexibility, no system of transfers, major and minor, double major ease of major changing, varied electives etc

debayon thumbnail

Originally posted by: blue-ice

what do u not agree with in the bolded part? people do  succeed in other fields or there is a lot of competition?
yes I agree with u that ego plays a big role in India as far as the achievements are concerened and u have given some real examples of how people talkπŸ˜†πŸ˜†
Regarding the waiter part...besides the earnings once a waiter is out of his job he will be treated like a normal person where as in India a waiter will be treated like a waiter even when he is out of his job....not that there is anything wrong in being a waiter but here in US everyone mingles....

as for my being influenced by 3 idiots noooo way......I really don't go by theories....theories look and work good in the books and movies only.............I do what is right and practical...........because that is the way this world works...asli duniya mein jab life ho out of control.......to sirf hothon ko karke gol .....aal izz well bolne se sab theek nahi ho jaata hai.........I live in the real world Debu...πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
[/QUOTE] I disagree with the competition part. Since a lot of people are immigrating from other countries and since the US is the third-largest country in the world, how can you say that there's not a whole lot of competition? Well you made another thread regarding bullying based on what you saw on 3I, so I thought you have been watching the movie real closely or maybe multiple timesπŸ˜† Upto some extent, the movie is right, if a hurdle comes in your way, you should not get stressed out and just be calm and composed and you will overcome that hurdle with perseverence. "All izz well" is just the dramatic and filmy way of saying thatπŸ˜†. About your last sentence, are you suggesting I live in a world of fantasy?πŸ˜• Edited by debayon - 14 years ago
blue-ice. thumbnail
Debu......which thread are u talking abt.....I never made a thread on bullying...........πŸ˜†
I will reply to the rest of ur points later.gtg now.
debayon thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Education makes a person a rounded individual, income is earned through work. Work and education are not always interrelated. But education is a prequisite to how capable you are of doing that job successfully. But I guess that depends on the job. Anyways, you've got to be educated to become an engineer, doctor, etc

Some of the problems with Indian system are
- Overcrowding of schools prevents hands on learning experience. Students are forced to learn by rote. Hands on students fall behind.
- Same thing causes excessive pressure to do too much. Its all make or break. No second chances, no options for creativity or alternate thought.
- Lack of flexibility, no system of transfers, major and minor, double major ease of major changing, varied electives etc I would like to add that the Indian curriculum doesn't not have enough scope and is all over the place. It does not have a direction.

Originally posted by: debayon

I may not have a say in this, but IMO, many parents do push their kids a lot. But that's because of the country, which is very poor and standard of living is low. If in India, a guy becomes a waiter, he has to have 2 jobs, and it's worse if he has a family. Over here, a waiter can easily afford a flat and support his family.

Work is work, and all work is respectable. A waiter works just as hard to support their family. Indians need to learn that. In India a waiter does not even garner respect as an equitable part of society.

Also, there's high expectations and a bit of ego invovled. We Indians like to show off and if our children do well in life, we tell other people "Arre mere bacche ko toh Harvard mein admission mil gaya, Sharma ji, apko pata hai, mere beti ne Boards mein top kiya hain. Hume bohut khushi ho rahi hai". So, the parents fell bad that if other's children can, why can't his son/daughter? That's when the ego comes in play.

That's the conversation where I say, seriously your son's accomplishments are boring. Do you have a son who flips burgers, specially in a shady ghetto Mc D's? Now that would make for an exciting life and career! I'm not interested in your Harvard blonde, even Elle can.

I've seen Indians get really obsessive about status symbols. Like a person I know bought a RWD BMW as a status symbol - who the f--- buys a RWD car in the midwest - It is a death wish.

One of my friends, an American got into Harvard but went to Lewis & Clark instead. The reason was simple, the person wanted to study environmental law and Harvard does not have a good program in that. Similarly, I know an MIT math major who wants to come back to UW-Madison for post graduation for the better research program. When I try to explain to Indians that they need to see if the college is really good for their preferred major and concentration - they don't get it.

Speaking of ego, the Indian kids who really worked their asses off in school had to go to the Caribbean for med school cos they could not get into the entire UW system and some of my beer pong playing white friends got into Madison. So much for the Indian ego.

1 2 3 4
Next