Harry Potter

Saying of the Month - Sirius Black!

muffins2waffles thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Welcome to the Saying of the Month - Sirius Black!

Sorry if the quote is a little boring, I didn't really have time to search 😳

"I used to be there," said Sirius, pointing at a small, round, charred hole in the tapestry, rather like a cigarette burn. "My sweet old mother blasted me off after I ran away from home - Kreacher's quite fond of muttering the story under his breath." (OotP - 111)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you think Sirius was right to break away from the family, even if he didn't agree with some of their values?

Who is a better person in your opinion, Sirius or Snape? Why?

If you had the chance to bring Sirius back to life by killing off another good character who lived at the end of the series, who would you choose? 

What were some of Sirius' strongest points? Faults?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by _LalithaJanaki_ - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
This content was originally posted by: MusicalAiswarya

Do you think Sirius was right to break away from the family, even if he didn't agree with some of their values? In most cases, I would say no, because nothing is more important than sticking by family, but in Sirius's case, I would say yes. His parents supported the killings of muggles and muggle-borns by Voldemort, they were hard-core racists and they were no better than Voldemort himself in my opinion. To support people like them would be completely wrong, and I admire the character of Sirius to have had the nerve to break away from them despite the pain he must have felt inside (they were his family after all and despite the misunderstandings, he must have cared for them deep inside his heart). Also, I don't think Sirius completely broke away from his family, because he did respect his uncle who had also been blasted away from the family tree and his cousin Andromeda. He just had no respect for his cruel relations, he had nothing against his family in general.

Who is a better person in your opinion, Sirius or Snape? Why? Both of them were brave at times and prejudiced at times. While Sirius's prejudice was an everyday school boy dislike, Snape's was also an immature dislike...only that it'd occured in his adulthood instead of childhood. Both made unforgiveable mistakes though they spent a majority of their life regretting it: Sirius nearly got Snape killed without thinking of the consequences of his actions and Snape told the prophesy to Voldemort which later got the Potters killed and Harry orphaned. If you think about it in nobility, I'd say both Sirius and Snape were equal in nobleness, but personally I prefer Sirius, don't know why.😳 But then again, my opinion is a bit biased since I am a hard core Marauder shipper.😉 

If you had the chance to bring Sirius back to life by killing off another good character who lived at the end of the series, who would you choose? Grr, hard choice....lol, never mind. You said 'good character', didn't necessarily have to be my fav character, now did it? So I'll choose Slughorn, would he count?😆 

What were some of Sirius' strongest points? Faults? Strong points: deep loyalty, bravery, strong mind, confidence, protectiveness, and his ability to love so easily even after having suffered for so long.😳 Faults: recklessness, stubborn-minded, and his inability to let go of past prejudices 

Aish, Lalitha, Chhilt
-HP Dev. Team

chhilt thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

"I used to be there," said Sirius, pointing at a small, round, charred hole in the tapestry, rather like a cigarette burn. "My sweet old mother blasted me off after I ran away from home - Kreacher's quite fond of muttering the story under his breath." (OotP - 111)

Do you think Sirius was right to break away from the family, even if he didn't agree with some of their values? I think it was right for him to do that... because judging from his personality, living with people so different than him would have been an impossible task for Sirius... so it was good that he realised that early and decided to take matters into his own hands :)

Who is a better person in your opinion, Sirius or Snape? Why? I really don't think we can compare the two... they're very different... and given the circumstances, they were both good in their own way... but personally, I'll say Sirius.... for the sole reason that he didn't become a Death Eater even when he was given the choice.

If you had the chance to bring Sirius back to life by killing off another good character who lived at the end of the series, who would you choose? I know lots of people are going to hate me for this... but I think JKR killed everyone off for a reason... if Sirius hadn't died, Harry wouldnt have learnt to be as independent as he was in DH... and it's likely that Sirius wouldn't have let him go hunting for the Horcruxes at all...

What were some of Sirius' strongest points? Faults? Strong points would definitely be loyalty, courage, the ability to love, emotional strength.... and faults would be recklessness, impulsivity and a bit of arrogance :P

Aish, Lalitha, Chhilt
-HP Dev. Team

Sur_10 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

Do you think Sirius was right to break away from the family, even if he didn't agree with some of their values? Yes he was absolutely right as his family was made of death eaters except his brother who changed later. Their attitude wasn't only different from his, it was outright wrong and inhuman. He exprssed his opinion about the matters to them which was complete opposite. It was good that he ran away, who knows Bellatrix could have tried to kill him(remember in Deathly Hallows when she was after Tonk's blood?). His own cousin murdered him. Its better to be alone than be in bad company.

Who is a better person in your opinion, Sirius or Snape? Why? Well, you know I am always prejudiced towards Sirius, but I do have a reason for it. Though Snape was very brave and did something that can be only done by a really good person, I feel that it was his personal loss that changed him. He never cared about the innocents Voldemort was killing until he killed Lily. Sirius on the other hand went against all odds to fight against Voldermort, against the people who were his blood relatives at a very young age. Snape's contribution is unmeasurable, but somewhere it was only revenge, while Sirius fought selflessly.

If you had the chance to bring Sirius back to life by killing off another good character who lived at the end of the series, who would you choose? uh, tough one...maybe Seamus Finnigan. Or definitely Draco Malfoy(if he counts as a good character)

What were some of Sirius' strongest points? Faults? His strongest point was his valour, his tendency to risk everything for the one he loved...and his greatest fault was his temper and ego.

Aish, Lalitha, Chhilt
-HP Dev. Team

Edited by Sur_Singhania - 14 years ago
missindia26 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Do you think Sirius was right to break away from the family, even if he didn't agree with some of their values? Yes as his family, most of them, were cruel and evil and completely opposite to Sirius.

Who is a better person in your opinion, Sirius or Snape? Why? It's hard to compare but I feel that Sirius was a slightly stronger character.

If you had the chance to bring Sirius back to life by killing off another good character who lived at the end of the series, who would you choose? That's hard..probs Dean or Seamus

What were some of Sirius' strongest points? Faults? His strongest points would be his loyalty and valour, and his weaknesses would be his recklessness and arrogance
-Navi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Do you think Sirius was right to break away from the family, even if he didn't agree with some of their values?
I don't think Sirius at the age of 11 *MEANT* to break family tradition. I just think that something must've happened or must have expierenced something as a child which made him be different than the rest of the blacks. I'm curious about the 2nd part of this question, what values did Sirius agree with?

Who is a better person in your opinion, Sirius or Snape? Why?
Snape. He learned that there was a greater good and sacrifices has to be made and adversity had to be faced while Sirius was reckless.

If you had the chance to bring Sirius back to life by killing off another good character who lived at the end of the series, who would you choose?
Meh, likely not. I'm too big of a Sirius fan. I first read PoA during the summer before grade 4 and I was never really attached to his character.

What were some of Sirius' strongest points? Faults?
Sirius' strengths are his loyalty to his friends and he's a very strong-minded person. Some of his faults are his rash and ill-conceived decisions, recklessness, impatience, and stubornness. Also, I just want to say that I don't think Sirius ever really grew up.
^ I meant he didn't like how his family supported Voldemort and his ways :)
-Navi thumbnail

^ I meant he didn't like how his family supported Voldemort and his ways :)

His parents AGREED with Voldemort and his whole purifying the wizarding community ideals but they weren't radicals like Voldemort. I get what you're saying though.
This content was originally posted by: -Navi

His parents AGREED with Voldemort and his whole purifying the wizarding community ideals but they weren't radicals like Voldemort. I get what you're saying though.

Yea that's what I meant.
-Navi thumbnail
I have a question, in PoA Snape says he wanted to be the one who caught Sirius. Was it  because he hated Sirius or because he wanted to get justice for Lily?