souro

souro

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 12:46pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Meena1

Gauri.. what is M&B..? Ermm

There are girls who don't know what M&B is Shocked

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Meena1

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Books vs. Kindle (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 12:57pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_VeilMeena1

Meena1

IF-Stunnerz

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 1:00pm | IP Logged

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 1:40pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Ah, you sound so much like my first bornSmile  I am a book lover too but I do not feel the urge to own something I absolutely loved reading.  I can't re-read a book no matter how much I loved it.  Still, I share the same passion when it comes to holding it, turning the page, putting a bookmark in it and being impatient to get back to it so that I can discover what comes next.  I get kind of sad when a book I really like comes to an end.  I feel a void the next day as that feeling of getting back to that book is all gone and there's nothing to look forward to it again ....... till I pick up another book.

My daughter, on the other hand, loves to buy books.  She is a voracious reader and she cherishes the books she owns like prized treasure.  I once questioned her why there are so many books scattered on her night stands and study table when we just bought her a brand new book shelf - a 3rd one for her room.  She responded back that those were the books that she has not read yet and the ones on the nightstands were the ones she would read next and then the ones on her study table.  She loves arranging her books on her the shelves apphabetically by authors' names and then the book names these days.  Before, they were arranged based on which ones she had read how many times and which ones are her absolute favs.  Like I said, she can spend hours with her books and her iPod - strictly in that order.  I can't imagine her without a book close by. 

So, no matter what Kindle claims, books will always be here as long as we have people like you and my daughterSmile

Every time I think that there can be no more uncanny similarities, you share more. I knew she loved reading, I should have figured she would be as passionate. I am not as organized with books though. Although I enjoy arranging them on the shelf. I simply love the look of books on the shelf. I do not like arranging because I never figured how I want to arrange, by title, by author, by genre, paperback and hardback, or size etc. However, my books are indeed arranged in weird piles across the house. The stacks in my room are to read next. The stacks in the hall are to read eventually when mood strikes. Then there is the bathroom library stack.

One of my school friend's grandparents had the most fantastic book collection I ever saw. I remember the first time I stepped into their house, I felt like a kid in a candy store. They had a small one bedroom, kitchen flat. As soon as entered the entire room was just bookshelves stretching end to end, stacked with hundreds and hundreds of books. They had their bed and cupboard in one lonely corner, somehow squeezed in out of necessity.  These books were like their most precious possessions. As a teenager, that was how I wanted to grow old. With stacks and stacks of books as my wall and me curled up somewhere in the middle.

M&B? Blech!!! My mom and aunt loved reading them. One of my cousins perpetually had her nose buried in an M&B whenever we saw her. I just found them all the same though. Although I read through all our Sidney Sheldons in eight standard. As a teen my favorite was highlighting all the naughty parts. It was all the more exciting since I sat on the last bench and either slept or read through high school. I was notorious for reading in the class. Another thing Kindle cannot accomplish. I would take the book I was reading wrap it in school textbook cover paper and put it with all my books. Everyone would think I'm studying while I was reading. Can't wrap and camouflage the Kindle can I?

Nowadays, I like notating slash subtext. I had an extra copy of Order of Phoenix which I notated with subtext. I have a Deathly Hallows extra copy which I will do it to someday. I hoped to do it to Twilight as I read it, but my dad bought me the hardback ones and I have a policy of not desecrating hardbacks. I only do it if I have extra copies. Unlike Harry Potter, I do not plan to have extra copies of Twilight. Anyone have Twilight books which I can notate with subtext?

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_VeilMeena1

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 2:45pm | IP Logged

baz786

IF-Sizzlerz

baz786

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 2:48pm | IP Logged
kindle is a device where ebooks can be loaded and read rite?

i dnt read much
i like reading from tradional books
ebooks are a little harder on pc
but on hanheld dnt know
i like listening to books coz im a slow reader
but i have to admit reading books gets imagination flowing
so i hope books dnt die out

karandel_2008

IF-Rockerz

karandel_2008

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 2:57pm | IP Logged
M&B : I never got to figure out why they were so popular in girls hostel.

Kindle vs books:  It depends on the next generations and what they choose ultimately. Current generation, and whoever reads books from the childhood, tend to be more attached to the books. In addition, books are portable and easier on eyes than any illuminated screen.

Also another analogy apart from VHS vs DVD, and applicable to kindle vs books, could be : DVD collection vs digital download.

Edited by karandel_2008 - 28 January 2010 at 2:59pm

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 3:05pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

^^ I started Sidney Sheldon in college.  You have to be girly girl for you to nejoy M&Bs, I guess.  My daughter never reads that "crap" (according to her) either.

Oh, I tried hiding the M&B inside the text book while pretending to be studying at home.  My mom busted me right away.  According to her, it was real easy to make out that I was not studying because she never saw me so focused while studying LOL 

@bolded - It is pure crap. That's a fact. For some reason women thrive on that crap. I could write better romance than that crap. Twelve year olds write better PWP fan fiction than that crap.

Well I never got busted because I do enjoy studying. Especially social sciences. I actually get turned on by studying social science that I have to stop studying at a point. It is the weirdest thing ever. So you never know if I am engrossed in a novel or some book on history or philosophy. LOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Meena1

Post Reply New Post

Go to top