Page 1 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 2 Page 4

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 9:55am | IP Logged

However is the Kindle here to stay forever, or is it a passing trend? Is Kindle the future of books? Are books really going to die out for Kindle, the way VHS died out for DVD? Or CD's died out for the I-pod? Kindle touts itself as environmentally friendly as it does not kill trees for paper, will it buy the market with that?

I love reading, but I simply cannot imagine using a Kindle. To me there is just something magical about having a book in my hand, to feel the paper on my fingertips. I can't imagine reading without turning the pages over. I can't imagine not walking through a bookstore and browsing through titles on a shelf. I can't imagine not opening up a new book with that crisp new paper scent. I can't imagine not having dog ears at the edge of my books, or yellowed pages, reminding me nostalgically how long I have had the book or how often I have read it. What about those books I read while eating and have food stains all over? What about those books that I stack in the bathroom for bathroom reading? How is one supposed to take use the Kindle when you want to soak up in the tub for hours and read?

Sometimes I like to doodle in my books and make notations. Have you ever had those hand me down books from family and found silly things scribbled in, or purchased a used book and tried to imagine who used to own it before by the doodles in it? Did you ever have one of those used books with silly notations that you dreamed would lead you to hidden treasure? Did you ever laugh out loud at the mustaches, beards and accessories that changed the illustrations? Have you ever found things hidden in used books like letters, love notes and sometimes even folded cash.

Then I also enjoy stacking books on the shelf, arranging them and taking pride in what I own. Nothing beats browsing through your own collection on the shelf. Picking up a book, sliding it back in place. Flipping through to get an idea what its about.

I simply cannot imagine the Kindle replacing everything exciting about having books. To me Kindle is just a fad that will fade away because books are irreplaceable. Anyone feel that the Kindle is better than books and will cause books to die out?

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Meena1Summer3

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Books vs. Kindle" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 10:46am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Meena1

pogo

pogo

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 11:05am | IP Logged

Absolutely nothing can replace good old books!Smile  I bought by favourite book, 'The book of Disquiet' from a secondhand bookseller. It was formerly a state library book. I like many scribbles in the book as much as the book itself..Smile I too have scribbled in lots of library books!Wink  My room is full of books and books alone! But no order! nothing! Absolute chaos!Embarrassed Doctor told me to move the books to another room as I suffer from dust allergy. But I cant imagine my room without my books..!Smile

Beyond_the_VeilMeena1

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 11:39am | IP Logged
Yeah Books have their own charm. I love collecting books & at times do re read them LOL I usually cover them with colour coded transparent sheets & then stack them neatly in my room. It pains me to see them spoiled by some friends who borrow them but dont treat them with care Ouch

Beyond_the_VeilMeena1

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 12:27pm | IP Logged

Meena1

Meena1

IF-Stunnerz

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 12:32pm | IP Logged

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 12:33pm | IP Logged

Meena1

Meena1

IF-Stunnerz

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 12:40pm | IP Logged

Beyond_the_Veil

Post Reply New Post

Go to top