Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 2 Page 4

Rindam

Rindam

Posted: 18 November 2005 at 1:49pm | IP Logged

India has had a woman Prime Minister(PM) and probably several other women in decision making positions in the legislature. The United States has never had a woman at the top post and it seems very unlikely that it ever will. They do have a good number in the senate though.

But how do women in politics who have a say in making rules help the woman on the street or at home fighting to support her family or herself?Is numbers in the parliment or senate a reflection of the betterment of status for all other women?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "India and Women" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

hazelgirl

IF-Rockerz

hazelgirl

Posted: 19 November 2005 at 11:07am | IP Logged
well politics is the only thing in which my knowledge is zero and i have no idea....so no comments Tongue

Rindam

Rindam

Posted: 19 November 2005 at 12:33pm | IP Logged
Well here is some more of what I keep thinking about.
How would a woman do anything better than a man? How is it better to have a woman as your lawyer or judge than a man. They can be equally corrupt,insincere regarding a particular cause, or on any other matter. What is the real benefit of reservation? How will it improve the situation of women at the "grass roots".
After all shouldnt the very best be leading us. Women must compete and earn that spot. The system must provide them with the tools to work and cut through the competetion.
Giving a few women a spot in the assembly is more like jumping the gun.

sugar plum

Goldie

sugar plum

Posted: 19 November 2005 at 11:51pm | IP Logged
that is a very correct fact. but we haven't had a woman president yet, we came very near to having one this time... but i'm sure it will happen... i know a lot of NGOs in my city and have met with some people who have done unbelievable things to improve the dignity and integrity and respect for women in india... but it all goes unnoticed because there's so much more to do... sure the women at the top are achievers... but they don't always do their bit for other women... it's a pity...

dannyk

IF-Veteran Member

dannyk

Posted: 21 November 2005 at 3:19am | IP Logged
women in politics .. in india and specially in politics women is playing very small role .. as they got seat because that are reserved for them .. even if the party like congress having women as chief don't give extra seat to them ..

and if they got elected also then also there husband or family member hold all the power we are having famous example of rabari devi chief minister of bihar .. all decision is taken by her husband

ishu124

Goldie

ishu124

Posted: 22 November 2005 at 4:57pm | IP Logged
in fact hon Angry in 2008 america has 90% Clap of change of have a lady president!!!! Clap

Rindam

Rindam

Posted: 22 November 2005 at 6:44pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by ishu124

in fact hon Angry in 2008 america has 90% Clap of change of have a lady president!!!! Clap

Why the angry face?Confused.

Hillary Clinton might win, might not win in 2008 but she hasn't yet. Indira Gandhi ruled India for 18 years with almost an iron hand.

My debate was how has that helped or not helped the girls at home?

Please, don't get madSmile

syrene

Goldie

syrene

Posted: 22 November 2005 at 7:50pm | IP Logged
nope not as much as it should have. even now women are fighting for reservation in the parliament. and usually unless women have a "Family" surname which can be exploited they are never projected or given the oppurtunity to become leaders. there are very few self made women political leaders in india, who have themselves come from deprived background. i guess thats why they are nto too interested in the plight of the ordinary indian woman.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top