Let's talk Class

SmarterDesiKid thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 14 years ago
Made this topic to remain a member on IFπŸ˜† and this was the only real-debatable thing I could think of:

Talked A LOT about Class during my english class last semester. So:

Do you think that mobility between the 3 main classes (Upper, Middle, Lower) is easier, harder, or the same nowadays as opposed to back in the day. Meaning, is it easier/harder/same to go from one class to another.
Since the economy is different in different countries, talk about the country you live in.

-That's my topic, now God of Evil can't ban meπŸ˜ƒ

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: SmarterDesiKid

Made this topic to remain a member on IFπŸ˜† and this was the only real-debatable thing I could think of:

Do you think that mobility between the 3 main classes (Upper, Middle, Lower) is easier, harder, or the same nowadays as opposed to back in the day. Meaning, is it easier/harder/same to go from one class to another.
Since the economy is different in different countries, talk about the country you live in.

Okay about class of people, now I get your point after clarification.
These days the transition from one to the other is much easier but generally the Families from  the Highest Income Group has a great advantage in remaining there.
Edited by Summer3 - 14 years ago
karandel_2008 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: SmarterDesiKid

Usually the divide between rich and poor is widening day by day. Hence, it should be becoming more and more difficult in general (Exceptions are always there).
Edited by karandel_2008 - 14 years ago

i am a 10th class pass...so please explain what this topic is aboutπŸ˜›...is a 10th CLASS pass a lower, middle or upper classπŸ˜•

SmarterDesiKid thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: baddie

i am a 10th class pass...so please explain what this topic is aboutπŸ˜›...is a 10th CLASS pass a lower, middle or upper classπŸ˜•

πŸ˜†
Upper = the lucky rich people = Bill Gates
Middle = not so rich, buut not poor either = the Average American
Lower = the poor = beggers

is it easier to get from one class to another these days as compared to few generations back [like children get into college when their parents didn't, and end up making more money than parents]

Edited by SmarterDesiKid - 14 years ago
become a cricketer if you are a guy or enter Bollywood....a straight jump from Lower to UpperπŸ˜†
Not all can be Bill Gates.

on 2nd thots, one sure can be a Lallu or a Soren.....and its easy to get a OBC jali certificate, as I hearπŸ˜‰
-Sneha thumbnail
That's an interesting concept to think about, especially because of its complexity!

In Mauritius, it's never been harder to move between these different classes. Not because people can't, but because the gap widening at the same time seems even further when you reach one boundary. Yet people never got rid of the "do or die" spirit, and I must say that's commendable. We've always been a tight economy, small in essence, where you either got to prove your capacities if you're amongst the elite, or you've got enough "contacts". Moving between the classes, the higher way of course, has never been a problem if you've been closely related to anyone from or after an MP!

On the other hand, I think it's becoming tougher to cross these mostly because a petty certificate equates to almost nothing these days. You've got to be smart, striking and extremely flexible. You've got to know you're the best of the lot, and be able to prove it once you're taken.

Also, I think moving in between classes is not so easy. Say I win 20 million rupees in a lottery tomorrow, (yeah let's hope! πŸ˜†), I may move up in my account size, but not necessarily in class in society. Class is something that's inculcated in you as soon as you're born, or at last takes up years in having. That's what I feel. A born-prince has certain taught-out mannerisms, diction and different level of behavior that a beggar becoming a millionaire wouldn't, couldn't have at a go! That's the difference people need to recognize. The early 18th century in France stressed a lot on this fact: "the difference between being a "bourgeois" and becoming one!" πŸ˜‰
P1nk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
It is easier to become poor but difficult to become filthy rich, unless the money Is In your genes.
Originally posted by: P1nk

It is easier to become poor but difficult to become filthy rich, unless the money Is In your genes.

or in the pocket of your jeans
yes i feel that if i have 400 crore pound sterling i will treat everyonelike dirt and kill them for no reason