Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 1:48am | IP Logged

Is the dense fog in Delhi due to pollution?

Looks like it is a big travel hazard now.

Asia

Home > Breaking News > Asia > Story

Jan 21, 2010

Dense fog causes travel chaos

'The last time we had such dense fog conditions was in 2003,' B.P. Yadav, spokesman for the New Delhi weather office, told AFP. -- PHOTO: AFP

NEW DELHI - THICK fog across northern India has disrupted hundreds of flights and caused chaos on the densely populated region's roads, officials said on Thursday.

'The last time we had such dense fog conditions was in 2003,' B.P. Yadav, spokesman for the New Delhi weather office, told AFP. 'This is not an isolated phenomenon but it has covered the entire northern plains.'

More than 170 domestic and international flights were delayed, diverted or cancelled at New Delhi airport on Wednesday, while scores more flights were also hit on Thursday morning, an airport authority spokesman said.

Departures were delayed by up to 15 hours, and several international flights to New York and Europe were cancelled.

Police reported multiple accidents and long tailbacks on roads, while traffic on national highways was reduced to a crawl as drivers struggled with poor visibility.

Railway schedules were also affected with many trains cancelled. Fog has been blamed for a series of train accidents in the past three weeks that have claimed at least 13 lives. Foggy conditions are common across northern India in January, but the region has been hit by an unusually severe winter cold snap since the New Year. -- AFP

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Dense fog in Delhi- pollutioin?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

4teen11

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 2:19am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 2:27am | IP Logged
Originally posted by baddie

Greater Noida Express way is worse than Delhi, w.r.t. fog and it is hardly polluted

Yes can be very bad at Noida.
They have blamed it on the extreme cold weather.
I wonder how the homeless and beggars take to such weather. I believe many just die.

chimuli

IF-Dazzler

chimuli

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 5:28am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Summer3

<FONT color=#0000ff face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif">Greater Noida Express way is worse than Delhi, w.r.t. fog and it is hardly polluted</FONT>

<FONT color=#000033></FONT>

<FONT color=#000033>Yes can be very bad at Noida.</FONT>

<FONT color=#000033>They have blamed it on the extreme cold weather.</FONT>

<FONT color=#000033>I wonder how the homeless and beggars take to such weather. I believe many just die.</FONT>

Yes Summerji,in North India the winters are chilling and temperarture becomes too low.
And homeless people,how can they survive such weather?You see the newspaper, everyday someone or outher dies due to such weather.Its very lamenting.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 7:48am | IP Logged
Fog due to pollution is usually called smog. I think this is purely weather dependent. Fog is very common in winter periods, especially when there is moisture that has not formed to snow or when it is close to freezing rain. We often get such thick fog around here in the AM.

The weather patterns this year have been bizarre. Europe has seen some of the coldest winters in years.

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 8:18am | IP Logged
Originally posted by tetuty66

Originally posted by Summer3

<FONT color=#0000ff face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif">Greater Noida Express way is worse than Delhi, w.r.t. fog and it is hardly polluted</FONT>

<FONT color=#000033></FONT>

<FONT color=#000033>Yes can be very bad at Noida.</FONT>

<FONT color=#000033>They have blamed it on the extreme cold weather.</FONT>

<FONT color=#000033>I wonder how the homeless and beggars take to such weather. I believe many just die.</FONT>

Yes Summerji,in North India the winters are chilling and temperarture becomes too low.
And homeless people,how can they survive such weather?You see the newspaper, everyday someone or outher dies due to such weather.Its very lamenting.
In summer Delhi is unbearably hot. But I guess most people there are quite used to it.
I can take extreme cold  but not extreme Heat.
I noticed that several of the homeless prefer to beg rather than be placed in welfare homes. I guess that they want the freedom.

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 8:19am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Fog due to pollution is usually called smog. I think this is purely weather dependent. Fog is very common in winter periods, especially when there is moisture that has not formed to snow or when it is close to freezing rain. We often get such thick fog around here in the AM.

The weather patterns this year have been bizarre. Europe has seen some of the coldest winters in years.
I hope the summer this time round will not be a killer.

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 9:06am | IP Logged
There R many night shelters in the city but just dont seem to B able 2 keep pace with the ever growing homeless migrating here !

Post Reply New Post

Go to top