Doing away with religious distinctions - Page 5

Posted: 14 years ago

[HIDDEN CONTENT]
The content of this post has been Hidden by User.
Originally posted by baddie

Hinduism is the most tolerant of all religions and I am a Hindu but if someone comes in my backyard and tries converting me into any other religion, I will not take it lying down.
Tell me, how many times have we heard of Hindus trying to convert a person of any other religion??

No more comments from me on this sensitive topic.

I agree. I have had very bad experiences with people trying to convert others to their religion.
At my local station I have people who are Hindu, Christian and Muslim. As you know you can't just convert to Hinduism, it's more a way of life so the Hindus outside the station are Hare Krishnas. (most are white devotees). They will NEVER approach someone who they think is under the age of 18 because they have been told not to and kids can get very easily influenced. They will not preach or praise Hinduism and try to bring other religions down. Instead, what they do is hand out information about Hinduism, religious books etc and in return you may give a donation (although not necessary). Also, if you have any questions about the religion they will happily answer your questions. :)
On the other hand, I frequently come across Christians of African Origin who approach me as I leave the station and to my disgust try and FORCE leaflets in to my hand.🤢I really felt like cursing them and I get rally annoyed when people keep trying to promote their religion in such a bad way and give their religion a bad rep. Similarily, about 2 minutes away on the High Street there are a group of Muslim men and a group of Christian men and women who have set up a stall and scream at the top of their voice that "Jesus is the one" and "Allah is the one" and it really frustrates me that people feel the need to advertise their religion in such a way!😡These 2 groups are constantly argueing with each other about which God is real and which one is fake. I would maybe understand if they were young teens being influenced by people around them but they are grown, mature men and women who are forcing religion down everyone's throats and while passing by I just think..great going, you are painting a perfect picture of your religion.This just increases the tensions and causes even more attacks in the area.

I hate it when people try and convert me. Why do they assume that I am not happy with the religion I already follow?! I think the whole thing should be made illegal. Maybe giving out leaflets (in a decent manner!!) is fine but all these fights and protests are getting sickening.
It is so hard for people to consider all religions equal when you get extremeists groups like Islam4UK, the BNP party etc. Islam4UK wish to protest with empty coffins through wotton bassett. For those who don't know, this is the same place where British soldiers who have died in Afghanistan, Iraq etc have their coffiins carried and Islam4UK wished to carry out empty coffins to show the Muslim lives lost in those countries. I don't think this would have made me as angry had they chosen any other place in the UK but the fact that they chose that very place made me sick.🤢Thank God this issue was highlighted by the media and this group is now BANNED in the UK.

On another note, I heard from my american relatives that Jehovah's witnesses constantly visit their house almost every week to try and get them to convert lol. It amuses me when they tell me stories as to what they had to do to get rid of them as they just wouldn't listen to a simple NO and turn up whenever they feel like it.
Agree. I was in NY during last vacation. And I got out of a store and this guy was passing out religious CDs. I told him no as I was happy with my own religion, and I started walking away he yelled..

" religion is not going to save you, it is jesus christ "

I know a joke. Some person had painted on a church wall "JESUS NEVER FAILS" .. A clever student wrote below it , "Ask him write CA exams " ..
Originally posted by Perfangel5655

Agree. I was in NY during last vacation. And I got out of a store and this guy was passing out religious CDs. I told him no as I was happy with my own religion, and I started walking away he yelled..

" religion is not going to save you, it is jesus christ "

This reminds me of a story my dad told me. The first time my dad cam to the States was in '98, on a UNDP fellowship. One day, when he went shopping, this guy called him and invited him to lunch. My dad was really happy that someone is sponsoring him lunch, but smelled something fishy(and it wasn't coming from the kitchen of the restaurant😆). So, the guy talked to him about Christianity and it's principles etc.. and how to convert. My dad, by then had finished lunch(he's a fast eater) and said "No, thanks. I'm quite happy with my religion. But thanks for the lunch anyways. Have a good day" and left the place grinning, leaving the guy dumbfounded.😆😆
When Christans try to convert me, I tell them Jesus is the ninth avatar of Vishnu. I don't think they teach how to deal with that much in conversion school. Why it even leaves Hindus flabbergasted at times. 😆
Edited by return_to_hades - 14 years ago
Since I like religious talks it never bothers me in that sense. I just don't anyone to force it on me.
Originally posted by Perfangel5655

Since I like religious talks it never bothers me in that sense. I just don't anyone to force it on me.
Jesus was a great guy and I love him too. So sad several of his followers are myopic. But there are some pretty well adjusted and broad minded Christians too.
Anyway Jesus did visit India, Nepal and Tibet during his younger days before going back home. This has been recorded in some Hindu Texts too.
Some claim that after he was resurrected he came to India again and was later buried in Kashmir.
Originally posted by return_to_hades

When Christans try to convert me, I tell them Jesus is the ninth avatar of Vishnu. I don't think they teach how to deal with that much in conversion school. Why it even leaves Hindus flabbergasted at times. 😆
I normally tell all that I am a Christian too and so am I a Muslim also.

But the Yuga Avatars are apparently only born in India and nowhere else.
God indeed favours India.
Originally posted by Summer3

Jesus was a great guy and I love him too. So sad several of his followers are myopic. But there are some pretty well adjusted and broad minded Christians too.
Anyway Jesus did visit India, Nepal and Tibet during his younger days before going back home. This has been recorded in some Hindu Texts too.
Some claim that after he was resurrected he came to India again and was later buried in Kashmir.

hehe ðŸ˜³ aww!
Muslims believe in jesus, just not as God's son but as a prophet.
As for his resurrection and burial there are so many version of it. 😆 Everyone is better of believing what his or her religious text says.