Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

Originally posted by: debayon

^^ But my point is te term does not equally represent the Muslims, Christians etc.. When your saying 'Hindustan', you mean the 'Land of the Hindus", which literally means that even though Christians, Muslims and people of other religions live on the subcontinent, the land still belongs to the Hindus. Is that fair? All I mean to say is that, the name is very religiously inclined and may offend non-Hindu people sooner or later.

what about the name "pakistan' Its no longer the land of ppl who can B called "Pak ". Just B coz ppl with 

" na - pak irade"( its become a haven for terrorists, drug lords & all sort of ruffians on wanted list of the world) are staying there wud pakistan change its name?

^^ OK, I completely agree with you. India has certainly advanced drastically over the last 10 years and is now in the G20 list of countries. But at the same time, it has also upheld it's cultures and beliefs, which is also a good thing. But my point is te term does not equally represent the Muslims, Christians etc.. When your saying 'Hindustan', you mean the 'Land of the Hindus", which literally means that even though Christians, Muslims and people of other religions live on the subcontinent, the land still belongs to the Hindus. Is that fair? All I mean to say is that, the name is very religiously inclined and may offend non-Hindu people sooner or later.

Mate, Bharat is the official name of India, so what's the problem?, Hindustan is used by everyone, Muslims often say Hindustan, they don't seem to have a problem, and as it is, India is referred to as "Hindustan" in many middle-eastern countries, and has been so for many centuries.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: angie.4u

what about the name "pakistan' Its no longer the land of ppl who can B called "Pak ". Just B coz ppl with 

" na - pak irade"( its become a haven for terrorists, drug lords & all sort of ruffians on wanted list of the world) are staying there wud pakistan change its name?

Good point made; I don't see why Hindustan is such a problem with some people when the majority of Muslims and Christians have no problem with it.

I don't get why lots of Hindus themselves are rebelling against it.😕
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: hindu4lyf

Yes it does, that is pretty obvious isn't it?
But so what? That's exactly what it is. India was where Hinduism was born and it was the first religion over there so it is indeed the Land of the Hindus. Currently, there are many different religions in India and I'm proud that these communities can live together peacefully (most of the time lol) and be equally as proud to say they are Hindustani, but the name Hindustan has its roots in India and may not stand for what the current situation in India is but I refuse to forget those roots.
It's just like over all these years India has become so modern. My cousin came back from there last week and was telling me how amazed she was at how modern Mumbai had become and how people's thinking has changed so much, especially the youth. Yet in this conversation I realised that no matter what, people still have their traditions and values that they respect. So India and its youth may be changing but our traditions and values are still very much present I think.

Some things change for the better, some for the worse but some things should be kept just the way they are I think.

Well said👏 Changing the name Hindustan would be like denying the fact that initially, India did belong to Hindus. Hinduism originated in Hindustan, so using that name doesn't necessarily mean other religions don't live there. One can also take it in the sense of "The Land from which Hinduism originated" instead of "Land of the Hindus".
debayon thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

OK, so what your trying to say is that if Pakistan does an arms agreement with US, we should also do one?😕 Let Pakistan do what it wants to. Why do we care? Edited by debayon - 14 years ago
debayon thumbnail
Originally posted by: Emptiness

Mate, Bharat is the official name of India, so what's the problem?, Hindustan is used by everyone, Muslims often say Hindustan, they don't seem to have a problem, and as it is, India is referred to as "Hindustan" in many middle-eastern countries, and has been so for many centuries.

There's no problem, all I'm saying is that it's just an oxymoron that the world's most secular country has a name that points to, or indicates towards one religion.
_Angie_ thumbnail

OK, so what your trying to say is that if Pakistan does an arms agreement with US, we should also do one?😕 Let Pakistan do what it wants to. Why do we care?

I think you ve completely missed what i was trying to point out. I just gave an eg of Pakistan which means land of  the "pure' but now inhabited by many "not so pure". But its absurd to think that on these grounds it should change its name. Similarly just because ppl of other religion chose to make Hindustan their home it does not imply that it should rename itself. Hope I have made myself clear .

debayon thumbnail

I think you ve completely missed what i was trying to point out. I just gave an eg of Pakistan which means land of  the "pure' but now inhabited by many "not so pure". But its absurd to think that on these grounds it should change its name. Similarly just because ppl of other religion chose to make Hindustan their home it does not imply that it should rename itself. Hope I have made myself clear .

Oh, yes, now I understand what you're trying to say. As to your answer, please refer to my reply to Emptiness's comment above.
_Angie_ thumbnail
To begin with the word Hindu did not pertain to one particular religion though now it often does. It had a secular origin. The name Hindustan also had geographic intonation rather than religious. As for secularism I wouldnt call India a truly secular country as secularism means not letting religious matters interfere with public affairs of a society. Had India been truly secular things like casteism , reservations, and questions such as posed above would not have persisted. I think china is more secular !
debayon thumbnail

To begin with the word Hindu did not pertain to one particular religion though now it often does. It had a secular origin. The name Hindustan also had geographic intonation rather than religious. As for secularism I wouldnt call India a truly secular country as secularism means not letting religious matters interfere with public affairs of a society. Had India been truly secular things like casteism , reservations, and questions such as posed above would not have persisted. I think china is more secular !

What does caste system have anything to do with religion? The above mentioned have nothing to do with the term 'secular', which basically means accepting people of all religions and having no biased religion. And how is China more secular? Plz care to elaborate.