Chat Clubs
Chat Clubs

India-Forums

IPL AND CRICKET CRAZY CLUB (SEASON 18) (Page 150)

hunder IF-Addictz
hunder
hunder

Posted: 20 January 2010 at 9:48am | IP Logged

PCB angry over IPL snub

The PCB have reacted with fury and disappointment after all of their players were left unsold in the Indian Premier League auction.

Pakistan's Twenty20 captain Shahid Afridi headed a well-decorated group of 11 Pakistan players who made the final list for the auction in Mumbai on Tuesday, but none of them were bought.

Afridi's agent on Tuesday claimed that franchises had been advised not to bid for Pakistan players, while also criticising the Indian government's stance on working visas.

Now PCB chairman Ijaz Butt has had his say.

"We are highly disappointed because we were hoping they (Pakistan's players) would play," Butt said.

"The IPL had given us the mandate to get permission from our foreign office, to obtain other clearances and to finalise visas.

"We did all this, but it is a surprise that none of them have been taken at the auction. We have been trying to get in touch with the concerned authorities but with no avail.

"I have asked the sports minister (Ijaz Jakhrani) to speak to his counterpart in India about this," he said.

Butt said he was aggrieved by the manner in which his players were treated.

"I agree this is a private event, but to be excluded without giving any reason and without looking at the background is unfair," he said.

"If they had told us we would have told the boys not to apply at all."

Pakistan's players were not allowed to travel to India for the last edition of the IPL because of the Mumbai terror attacks and although the tournament was moved to South Africa, they were still barred from participating.

Before the start of the second edition of the tournament last year, franchises who had Pakistan players in their squads were advised to either terminate their contracts or suspend them.

But contracts for all players were terminated in December last year when IPL chairman Lalit Modi revealed the players had failed to meet a deadline to submit clearances.

Royal Challengers Bangalore owner Dr Vijay Mallya, meanwhile, backed up Modi's claims that teams were advised against bidding for Pakistan players.

"I am not aware of any conversation or agreement between the owners about Pakistan players," he said.

"There are some very talented players in Pakistan, but I'm just concerned about their availability, visas and stuff like that.

"Moreover, there was only one slot available with us, and I if I had had a second I would have loved to bid for someone like Afridi.

"But while Pakistan's players were not acquired, several other Australians, West Indians and English players did not even receive any notice. There is nothing unusual about that."

Mallya, who bought England's Eoin Morgan at the auction, indicated that Pakistan's players would not be missed.

"I don't think so at all, they were not there last year in South Africa," he said.

"This auction was more to get in replacements, fill in for players who are unavailable or to get in players whose contracts were bought out.

"We had limited budgets, but more importantly limited slots in the team. I needed a particular skill set and we bid for a player for what we, as a team, determined would fill our need."

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

rocketsingh111

hunder IF-Addictz
hunder
hunder

Posted: 20 January 2010 at 9:49am | IP Logged

PCB to take up IPL snub with BCCI

The Pakistan Cricket Board has accused Indian Premier League commissioner Lalit Modi of betraying the PCB.

None of the 11 Pakistani players got a buyer in the third IPL auction in Mumbai on Tuesday and said he will take up the matter with BCCI.

PCB chairman Ejaz Butt told reporters at the Gaddafi stadium that he was very upset with what had transpired at the players auction.

"I had several discussions with Lalit Modi on the participation of our players in the IPL this year and he had assured me they would get a chance to play in the tournament," Butt said.

"Now we don't understand what happened because we did everything from our side including getting government clearance to allow our players to be eligible to play in the IPL," he said.

The PCB chief said after the auction he constantly tried to get in touch with Modi but his efforts went in vain.

"He is not answering my calls. But we will take up the matter with the Indian board," Butt said.

Sources within the PCB said initially Butt had taken the issue very lightly but became serious about the matter when the players and some government officials contacted him to convey their disappointment at the snub.

rocketsingh111

hunder IF-Addictz
hunder
hunder

Posted: 20 January 2010 at 9:51am | IP Logged

Shahid Afridi angry at IPL snub

Shahid Afridi, who was supposed to be the main attraction for franchises at the IPL auction in Mumbai, said he was disappointed and upset with the way things panned out.

Afridi was not alone as most Pakistan cricketers reacted angrily for being ignored at the Indian Premier League auction on Tuesday.

"The way I see it, the IPL and India have made fun of us and our country by treating us this way," Afridi said.

"We are the Twenty20 World Champions and for me the attitude of the franchises was disappointing. I feel bad for the Indian people who I am sure wanted to see us play in the IPL this year," Afridi said.

Afridi was the first player to be put on auction with a base price of USD 250,000 but no franchise was interested in buying him.

Franchises preferred West Indian, South African and Australian players while ignoring the 11 Pakistani players who were available in the auction for sale. The franchises said Pakistani players' availability was not certain and they couldn't risk their money on them.

Afridi was among the batch of Pakistani players who played in the first IPL season for Deccan Chargers.

Senior allrounder Abdul Razzaq, who was also among the players in the auction, said he saw the snub to Pakistani players as a joint strategy between the IPL and Indian government to insult Pakistan players.

"They have basically tried to hurt our cricket and image and this is most disappointing because I believe there should be no politics in sports," Razzaq said.

He also questioned the inclusion of Pakistani players in the auction list if the franchises were not interested.

"In the end it is the IPL which has lost out because the fact is our players have star value and are the best in T20 cricket," he added.

Allrounder Sohail Tanvir, who was the best bowler of the inaugural IPL season and played a big role in helping Rajasthan Royals win the title, said he felt humiliated and angry with what transpired at the auction.

"They mean to say none of our players are good enough to be in the IPL. I am sorry to say the franchises have taken a decision not based on cricketing sense but on political grounds which is a shame and has hurt the image of the sport," Tanvir said.

He pointed out that if the IPL and franchises had reservations over having Pakistani players they should have made it clear beforehand.

"Why create all this fuss about visa requirements and government clearances. If they don't want us they should be clear about it in the first place," Tanvir said.

"We sent names because we thought the franchises wanted us but if it is all about politics and security they should be clear about it," Tanvir said.

It's not just the players who are feeling hurt, Pakistan's minister for sports Ejaz Jakhrani said he was surprised over the way Pakistani players had been snubbed.

"I am surprised and disappointed at the way we have been treated. It is not a good sign for improving and enhancing sporting ties between the two countries," Jakhrani said.

"We gave them security clearance as well so it was surprising the way they were snubbed at the auction because they are the best in the world in Twenty20 cricket," he added.

Jakhrani said he would also ask the PCB to explain why the players were treated in this way even though the government had given required clearances to the players.

PCB chairman Ejaz Butt, however, said he was not bothered by the snub given to Pakistani players.

"It really does not bother us what difference does it make to us if our players don't play in the IPL this season. They didn't play in the last season as well," Butt said.

The PCB Chairman said the responsibility of the board was to clear the road for Pakistani players to make themselves available for the IPL and it had done that.

"We got the required clearances from our government. But after that we can't interfere in anybody's work so what we say," Butt added.

But former Pakistan captain, Rameez Raja was more vocal in his take on the auction.

"I think the IPL and the Indian government have lost a golden opportunity to help improve ties between the two countries," the former captain said.

"I really do believe there were political reasons behind the way our players were snubbed at the auction and it is most unfortunate," he said.

Former Test leg-spinner Abdul Qadir said it is time the PCB organised its own league.

"If need arises we should hold this league even at a neutral venue and try to invite as many Indian players as possible to give out a clear message we don't mix sports with politics," he said.

Former Test captain Zaheer Abbas said the Pakistani players must realise that IPL is a private league.

"The fact is the IPL is a private enterprise and if their franchises are not willing to take our players what can anyone do. But there is no doubt that our players and Pakistan cricket have been humiliated and insulted at such a big forum in a planned manner," he stated.

Zaheer, however, said if the Pakistan board felt the Indians had done wrong then they should announce a complete boycott of ties with India.

"Our players and officials should also not go to India for any reason. But if we want a betterment of ties with India then we should just keep quiet," he said.

rocketsingh111

hunder IF-Addictz
hunder
hunder

Posted: 20 January 2010 at 9:52am | IP Logged

Razzaq: IPL hatched conspiracy

Snubbed all-rounder Abdul Razzaq accused Indian Premier League of hatching a "conspiracy" against Pakistani players.

None of the 11 cricketers from the nation found a buyer in Tuesday's IPL auction in Mumbai.

Shahid Afridi angry at IPL snub

"I think this is a well-hatched conspiracy, which they (IPL) must have planned three-four months ago. That's why no Pakistani players was taken," Razzaq told a TV channel.

All the 11 Pakistani cricketers, who were in the 67-strong pool of players, found no takers at the glitzy IPL III auction, attended by corporate bigwigs like Vijay Mallya, Nita Ambani and Bollywood stars like Preity Zinta and Shilpa Shetty.

Indo-Pak chill cooked Pak's IPL goose

"I am very disappointed. They should not have done this. They first raised the issue of visa, then they asked to take the NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the Board and then wanted a NOC from government also.

"But they did not take any Pakistani cricketer even after getting every clearance," Razzaq said.

rocketsingh111

hunder IF-Addictz
hunder
hunder

Posted: 20 January 2010 at 9:53am | IP Logged

Indo-Pak chill cooked Pak's IPL goose

The uncertainty over their availability cost Pakistani players lucrative IPL contracts as apprehensive franchisees overlooked them in auction.

Indian Premier League commissioner Lalit Modi conceded the biggest question facing the franchisees was the availability of the players they would buy and Rajasthan Royals co-owner Shilpa Shetty said her team did not bid for any Pakistani players simply because they were not sure about their availability.

"We were not convinced about their availability and that's why we did not want to take any risk," Shetty said after her team bought veteran Australian Damien Martyn for USD 100,000.

Giving the instance of Sohail Tanvir, who played a crucial role in Rajasthan Royal's fairytale win in the inaugural IPL, Shetty said there was no question of bidding for a player who might not be available in the tournament.

"See, every team has its own strategy. If someone is not going to be available, why bid for him," asked the actor, who was in touch with captain Shane Warne over phone before she bought veteran Australian Damien Martyn.

Eleven Pakistani players, including cream of the Shahid Afridi-led reigning Twenty20 World Cup squad, were in the fray but none of the franchisees took interest in them, fearing the chill in Indo-Pak relation might worsen, resulting in non-participation of these players.

Pakistani players featured in the inaugural edition of the cash-awash Twenty20 league before their government denied them permission to play in India last year even though the tournament eventually got shifted to South Africa.

Modi also articulated that players' availability was a concern for the franchisees, who were not ready to spend a fortune for cricketers, who may not be available for the tournament.

"The biggest question for the franchisees was the availability of the players. They are no more ready to spend USD seven or eight million for someone who would not be available for the tournament. It not only exhausted their purse but also wasted slots," Modi explained.

"They want only those players who would be available for the tournament. They are spending money and they want to get the results," Modi said.

The IPL commissioner said he expected Kieron Pollard, Kemar Roach and Eoin Morgan to attract multiple offers and go into the Silent Tie-Breaker.

"I thought they are the three players who would go to the Tie-Breaker. It was surprising that Roach didn't while Shane Bond did and Bangalore got Morgan which was a steal. More so because only this morning we got the confirmation that Morgan will be available for the full IPL and not just half of it," Modi said.

Meanwhile, Royal Challengers Bangalore owner Vijay Mallya, who bought Englishman Eoin Morgan today, announced that Anil Kumble, who was with him during the auction, would remain the captain of the side in IPL III.

"Anil has been successful in the past and he would continue as the captain," Mallya said.

Kolkata Knight Riders co-owner Jay Mehta also took the occasion to announce that the outfit had dumped the multiple-captain theory of former coach John Buchanan and Sourav Ganguly would lead the side.

Kings XI Punjab co-owner Preity Zinta, whose team recalled South African Yusuf Abdulla today, said Yuvraj Singh would continue to remain a key player despite losing captaincy to Kumar Sangakkara.

"Yuvraj is very, very essential part of the team and one of the top players. We went for a little bit of change amicably but surely we are not the only team that changed captain. Bangalore and Kolkata have done it in the past. We are looking for the perfect balance and let's see if it works," she said.

rocketsingh111

hunder IF-Addictz
hunder
hunder

Posted: 20 January 2010 at 9:55am | IP Logged

A look at who bought who

Hot picks for the day were Kieron Pollard and Shane Bond who attracted USD 750,000 each, while there were no takers for Pakistani players.

After two hours of aggressive bidding, the teams have finally bought their stars for the third edition of the Indian Premier League.

Here is a look at the final list of the players bought in Tuesday's auction
Kieron Pollard:
Sold to Mumbai Indians for USD 750,000

Wayne Parnell: Sold to Delhi Daredevils for USD 610,000

Shane  Bond: Sold to Kolkata Knight Rider for USD 750,000

Kemar Roach: Sold to Deccan Chargers for USD 720,000

Eoin Morgan: Sold to Royal Challengers Bangalore for USD 220,000

Damien Martyn: Sold to Rajasthan Royal for USD 100,000

Thissara Perera: Sold to Chennai Super Kings for USD 50,000

Mohammad Kaif: Sold to Kings XI Punjab for USD 250,000

Yusuf Abdullah: Sold to Kings XI Punjab for USD 50,000

Justin Kemp: Sold to Chennai Super Kings for USD 100,000

Under-19

Ashok Maneria: Sold to Royal Challengers Bangalore for Rs 8 lacs

Harmeet Singh: Sold to Deccan Chargers for Rs 8 lacs

Harshat Patel: Sold to Mumbai Indians for 8 lacs

Some key unsold players

Shahid Afridi (Pakistan)

Brad Haddin (Australia)

Graeme Swann (England)

Shakib Al Hasan  (Bangladesh)

Nuwan Kulasekara (Sri Lanka)

Daren Ganga (West Indies)

Doug Bollinger (Australia)

Sohail Tanvir (Pakistan)

Kamran Akmal (Pakistan)

Ramnaresh Sarwan (West Indies)

Chamara Silva  (Sri Lanka)

Tim Bresnan (England)

Jonathon Trott (England)

Jason Krejza (Australia)

John van der Wath (South Africa)

Grant Eliott (New Zealand)

Ashley Noffke (Australia)

Rana Naved-ul-Hasan (Pakistan)

Imran Nazir (Pakistan)

Phillip Hughes (Australia)

Wavell Hinds (West Indies)

Lendl Simmons (West Indies)

Umar Akmal (Pakistan)

Upul Tharanga (Sri Lanka)

Rory Kleinveldt (South Africa)

Sulieman Benn (West Indies)

rocketsingh111

hunder IF-Addictz
hunder
hunder

Posted: 20 January 2010 at 9:57am | IP Logged

Teams banish Pak players

Franchise owners played down the fact that no Pakistani player and only two from Australia were bought in the auction for the third edition of the IPL.

By Rajarshi Gupta in Mumbai

While the Australians had been threatened by Shiv Sena, Pakistan's cricketers were under the scanner too as they were not sure about getting visas.

However, two Bollywood divas, Shilpa Shetty (Rajasthan Royals) and Preity Zinta (Kings XI Punjab) were nonchalant and said not selecting Pakistan and Aussie cricketers had nothing to do with fear.

It was strategy, they said.

Modi, flanked by Shetty and Zinta deflected the tight corner situations to the team owners, who in turn played their role to the last detail.

"I am very happy with our buy. We were in touch with Shane (Warne) constantly and we went by what he told us. I have got all the players I wanted," said Shilpa, who co-owns the Rajasthan team with husband Raj Kundra.

Shilpa reiterated it was all a part of deep-rooted strategy. Not buying Pakistan all-rounder Sohail Tanvir, who was the highest wicket-taker for the Royals in the first edition did not seem too hard on the actress.

Zinta and Kings XI Punjab co-owner also stressed that their decisions were not influenced by threats.

Modi decided to dismiss the matter as elegantly as the heat in the media room allowed him to: "India is a safe country and there is no threat," before gesturing to the next reporter.

rocketsingh111

hunder IF-Addictz
hunder
hunder

Posted: 20 January 2010 at 9:58am | IP Logged

"Team's strategy to get Pollard"

Mumbai Indians co-owner Nita Ambani revealed it was a team strategy, that included Sachin Tendulkar's insights to buy Kieron Pollard in Tuesday's auction.

By Rajarshi Gupta in Mumbai

The first round of the auctions was high on drama and unprecedented furious bidding between Mumbai, KKR, Royal Challengers Bangalore and Chennai Super Kings.

Pakistan Twenty20 captain Shahid Afridi, who had a base price of 250,000 USD, remained unsold, surprising many in the media room.

However, given his nationality and the recent troubles between India and Pakistan, no team would have wanted to shell out money and risk on a player, whose availability would have been under the scanner.

Australia wicketkeeper Brad Haddin and England off-spinner Graeme Swann also remained unsold at the end of the first round. Haddin would not have attracted many buyers in any case with Shiv Sena's threat against Aussie cricketers.

Kolkata made a coup with Shane Bond, the Kiwi express, who also went to a tie breaker.

South African pace sensation Wayne Parnell  amassed 610,000 USD to walk into the Delhi Daredevils.

The Mumbai Indians and KKR have now exhausted their purse and will play no more part in the auctions.

rocketsingh111

Go to top