Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

Rindam

Rindam

Posted: 17 November 2005 at 11:13am | IP Logged

Hello all, I am new here at the debates forum and relatively new to India forums as well. I looked up the topics index before posting this one. If this topic has been discussed already, I apologize.

The reason to post (and a really long one at that) is that it is something I have debated with others and myself about for several years already. Euthanasia. It is legal to do so fro humans in the Netherlands and in Colorado in the US if I am not mistaken. Many other countries oppose the very thought of euthanasia.

I am sure all this will be extremely theoretical. To explain death is quite hard as it is, all I know that it is final. To even begin to understand the true consequences of letting someone go and living with that decision is tough. Are we eligible to decide for ourselves and for our families when it is time to die?

To look at it objectively from both angles, the first one that it is OK to decide for euthanasia

When it is OK to let animals go, (I really love animals and do not think of them as inferior forms so my logic can be a little trivial to others that do not share the same belief) unable to see them suffer pain any longer, why not humans.

When it is "inhumane" to let dogs and cats suffer pain then how come people?

The second angle is that we don't get to make that one big decision is because we don't have the wisdom to make the right one. Only God (again this angle works mainly if you are believers in a higher power, I am) has that authority. After all, they might just tide through all the suffering and win the battle someday. Maybe science or faith will bring them back. Human conscience is said to be alive all the way until death. It cannot be attacked by disease neither can anything suppress it's living quotient. Leaning towards this angle I quote -

"When the tools of science meet the mysteries of faith,

The most powerful of human emotions is born.

It's called HOPE."

We all hope for improvement every day, why not fight death till the very end?

The idea of death is relatively profound compared to all others one thinks about during the course of a day. I am undecided still on this topic, maybe will always be. Please post your thoughts.

A humble request, if you can help it, please do not trivialize this post or the topic.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Euthanasia" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

sweet freedom

IF-Dazzler

sweet freedom

Posted: 17 November 2005 at 12:14pm | IP Logged
we did this in english. really good topic rindam. i'll post something wen i get my english book Wink Tongue

Rindam

Rindam

Posted: 17 November 2005 at 12:27pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by goth princess

we did this in english. really good topic rindam. i'll post something wen i get my english book Wink Tongue

Interesting, did you actually study this at school. Didnt know they introduced such topics. I've encountered this in converstaions with friends and colleagues, and thought about it but do post your views.I'd like to get everyone's perspective, so please dont self censor your views.

indiaforums1234

indiaforums1234

Posted: 17 November 2005 at 1:59pm | IP Logged
This is a great topic for discussion.

I'm not so sure if this is good thing to do. I mean on one side we are ending one's suffering. On the other side, who are we to make a decision about when a person should die?

I agree with the statement above that why not fight it till the very end. Death is the end of everything. At death, a person loses his or her's existence. So, even if there is suffering, why not let the person experience or fight it? Suffering after all is part of life.

MonicA#1Actress

Goldie

MonicA#1Actress

Posted: 17 November 2005 at 2:00pm | IP Logged

Hi Rindam! First of all welcome to India Forums!

And you have brought up a great topic!

In my opinion , there is no right or wrong here. It is very complicated. A very ill-patient will want to end his or her own suffering but the family might want to see them live a little longer. But if the person is in excrutiating pain and suffering, and there is no chance of recovery, should they feel the pain and suffering, or should they be gently "put to sleep"?

The reason why it is complicated is because . like you said, no disease can hurt human conscience and no one can suppress it.

Human conscience is said to be alive all the way until death. It cannot be attacked by disease neither can anything suppress it's living quotient.

And also that if you are a devoted believer in God ( I am ) we agree that it is not up to us to decide.

But what if the ailing person WANTS to die? What if they feel they have lived their full lives?

We also can't argue with the afflicted person, because he or she is having all the pain and suffering, and God forbid, none of us should experience that, and many of us will not, so how do we know how they are feeling.

Then again, life is a gift and to decide whether to live or die is not a decision that should be taken lightly. It is very painful for the family and the victim to see life coming to this, but then again this is life.

Overall, I don't believe there is a right or wrong. There is too much to consider and so much at stake. Life is a blessing and everyone should live it to the fullest and enjoy it, but there are some who can't enjoy it due to health problems.

Just my viewsSmile

~Monica~

Rindam

Rindam

Posted: 17 November 2005 at 2:26pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by MonicA#1Actress

Human conscience is said to be alive all the way until death. It cannot be attacked by disease neither can anything suppress it's living quotient.

But what if the ailing person WANTS to die? What if they feel they have lived their full lives?

Overall, I don't believe there is a right or wrong. There is too much to consider and so much at stake. Life is a blessing and everyone should live it to the fullest and enjoy it, but there are some who can't enjoy it due to health problems.

Just my viewsSmile

~Monica~

I agree with both of you, there is no right or wrong. But also let's talk of the angle of how many loopholes this could open in the system where people could misuse Euthanasia, especially in a corrupt environment?

if this were to be legalized in a country like India it could very well benefit many suffering people and lessen the burden for many families looking at it practically only. Emotinally its very taxing to make the decision however there could be many cases where people could be literally killed, not euthanized for various reasons.

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 17 November 2005 at 11:13pm | IP Logged
I agree with MonicaActress#1 , there is no right or wrong .
I wonder if any of you saw the Oscar Winner , Million Dollar Baby !!The end of the movie dealt with the issue . When the main character who was in extreme pain and had lost every will to live after her boxing accident . She had reached the summit of her carreer and seen all that she wanted of life . She begged her coach to releive her off her miserable life !! I put myself in the coach/ her only mentor and best friend ....it was the most painfull choice , but he ultimately chose it .

I am not sure if it should legalised , due to the risk of misuse . But it could be taken up by case basis . Example as was taken in the famous and recent case of Terri Schiavvo . Where her husband fought to pull her off life support , after she had been vegetating since 1990 !!

hazelgirl

IF-Rockerz

hazelgirl

Posted: 18 November 2005 at 1:54am | IP Logged
well said...indy Clap

Post Reply New Post

Go to top