Posted: 14 years ago
i forgot to mention Salman. He gave a super hit movie Wanted which everyone assume it would be a flop.
Going by the box office record, it is Katrina's year! Girl has like 3 superhits! What more can you ask for?? But her acting ain't that great! Even in new york, she was monotonous....You just want to go into the screen and stretch hers and john's facial expressions...

Performance wise: I loved vidya as auro's mother. She has so much subtlety and calmness yet she brings out so much emotion...I like the effortless performance of her!

Koko as LBC was interesting but it didn't really leave a lasting impression..

Priyanka in WYR was blah! She got a role of a lifetime to portray 12 different characters but still she looks the same in every character except the "Aries" one...I don't think versitality is her forte...

Kareena blew me away with the last scene of Kurbaan...I felt for her character in that scene. In that particular scene, she showed me how much she have grown as an actor and why she is one of the best in this business...Yet, I loved her as Pia too....Her coming timing was amazing and i enjoyed her scenes...

Priyanka in sweety: Haven't seen it...

Mahi Gil as Paro was very interesting...Hers was a very bold character but being a debudant she brought a lot of dimension to the character....One of the better performance from this year!

As for the guys:

Aamir end it with the bang! He deserves all the success because he knows how to sell his product....

Salman proved to the audience that why he is the star of masses rather than the NRI's....

Ranbir Kapoor showed great versitality and immense talent....His screen presence is superb and he is one actor to watch out for....

Saif : I loved him as the Sardar in LAK yet I also liked him in Kurbaan but he got the half baked roles...

Shahid-Haven't watch his kaminey but DBH was watever!

I agree with you word for word Cho!
Performance wise I liked Konkona in LBC and PC in Kaminey. Unfortunately have not seen the Bebo movies or Paa. But I am sure they were great as both can perform quite well. I also liked Sonam in D6 and I don't say this coz I am her fan but I genuinely think she was good.

Box office wise of course Katrina....she is pretty to look at....usko dekhte hi din achha ho jata hai...who cares what she is doing in the movie? :D
As for the actors...for me it was Shahid Kapoor in Kaminey....I think the boy was really good.

Box office wise- Aamir had it all! Ghajini to 3 Idiots!

Vidya  had a  challenging role in Paa.  She played a mother, lover and a daughter in the movie. I loved the treatment of the whole movie.. it wasn't melodramatic and the director didnt make it a point to include or give big monologues, or overly dramatic scenes to elevate the performances of any actors. A very touchy and difficult subject was dealt in the most subtle, natural and subdude way. And I think the director deserves brownie points for that. Vidya was absolutely superb as a doting mother to "Auro"! Not once did I feel anything forced or unatural. She effortlessly transformed herself into the role of a mother.. and I loved the fact that the unnecessary crying and over the top emotions were kept aside.. and she was shown as a practical mother.. who was living a nice and cozy life with her special son. I loved the dynamic between auro and his mother and I also liked auro with his grandma.. who he fondly called bum. I think it was challenging for Vidya to take up this role because first of all the audiene was getting introduced to  Progeria in this movie for the first time in our cinema. So Amitji's role was up against many odds to begin with.. as there hasn't been a role like his in hindi cinema.. so that added a special touch to the story! And the second most important.. or should I say an equally most imp role was Vidya's.. cauz a great chemistry between Auro and his mom was very well needed to establish any credibility in this movie. And Vidya's character was the one through which we saw "Auro" most closely.. so it was very imp for her character to connect with the audience. And I think Vidya did it brillinatly! She just proved it that she is a seasoned actor.. and very easily took a complex role and simplified it for all of us. Her interaction with Auro was the hardest part as far as her performance is concerned.. and I personally don't think that any of the lead actresses these days could have been able to do it! Other characters that she played.. of a daughter and Ab's lover were piece of cake for her.. and she excelled in all of them! And no I don't think she was inconsistent at all.. she is a very seasoned actor.. to even do a mistake.. like this of being inconsistent.. She totally is one of the few actresses who can even compete with the actors and can easily carry a movie on her shoulders.

Edited by adios - 14 years ago
Originally posted by -Aladin-

😆   Don't you think you simplified it a bit too much?  😆

Both Kareena and

🤣 U know me well! Yes I did.. was deprived of sleep when I compared DDLJ ke Raj and Simran ka dilemma to Kaminey ke Guddu and Sweety.. I just typed whatever came into my mind.. and it turned out to be funny atleast.. lol.. Chalo we had a few laughs over it atleast!
Vidya and Konkona
if Kareena wins - thats fine
if Katrina Turquotte oops "kaif" wins then i will never ever watch an award show where she is nominated =)
Originally posted by adios

Vidya  had a  challenging role in Paa.  She played a mother, lover and a daughter in the movie. I loved the treatment of the whole movie.. it wasn't melodramatic and the director didnt make it a point to include or give big monologues, or overly dramatic scenes to elevate the performances of any actors. A very touchy and difficult subject was dealt in the most subtle, natural and subdude way. And I think the director deserves brownie points for that. Vidya was absolutely superb as a doting mother to "Auro"! Not once did I feel anything forced or unatural. She effortlessly transformed herself into the role of a mother.. and I loved the fact that the unnecessary crying and over the top emotions were kept aside.. and she was shown as a practical mother.. who was living a nice and cozy life with her special son. I loved the dynamic between auro and his mother and I also liked auro with his grandma.. who he fondly called bum. I think it was challenging for Vidya to take up this role because first of all the audiene was getting introduced to  Progeria in this movie for the first time in our cinema. So Amitji's role was up against many odds to begin with.. as there hasn't been a role like his in hindi cinema.. so that added a special touch to the story! And the second most important.. or should I say an equally most imp role was Vidya's.. cauz a great chemistry between Auro and his mom was very well needed to establish any credibility in this movie. And Vidya's character was the one through which we saw "Auro" most closely.. so it was very imp for her character to connect with the audience. And I think Vidya did it brillinatly! She just proved it that she is a seasoned actor.. and very easily took a complex role and simplified it for all of us. Her interaction with Auro was the hardest part as far as her performance is concerned.. and I personally don't think that any of the lead actresses these days could have been able to do it! Other characters that she played.. of a daughter and Ab's lover were piece of cake for her.. and she excelled in all of them! And no I don't think she was inconsistent at all.. she is a very seasoned actor.. to even do a mistake.. like this of being inconsistent.. She totally is one of the few actresses who can even compete with the actors and can easily carry a movie on her shoulders.

Wow well said!👏
For me in case of actresses 2009 belonged to Vidya,Kareena and Katrina( U cant overlook her BO success rate though as an actress she still has to improve by leaps and bonds!)
Priyanka yet agained proved verstality is not her forte with WYR...Havent watched kaminey
As far as actors are concerned -Ranbir(boy he rocked or what?! 2 superhits & rest 3 doing average buisness within two yrs of entering bwood...!) then Aamir..Salman
Well, looking at the hits/averages of the year...

Aamir Khan - 3 Idiots
Abhishek Bachchan - Paa
Amitabh Bachchan - Paa
Kareena Kapoor - 3 Idiots/Kambakth Ishq/Kurbaan
Katrina Kaif - Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani/De Dana Dan/New York
Konkona Sen Sharma - Luck By Chance/Wake Up Sid
Priyanka Chopra - Kaminey/What's Your Rashee? (Movie bombed, but characters were well-portrayed)
Ranbir Kapoor - Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani/Wake Up Sid
Saif Ali Khan - Kurbaan/Love Aaj Kal
Shahid Kapoor - Kaminey
Vidya Balan - Paa

These are my top 11, in alphabetical order, not preference.

Edited by HotMess - 14 years ago