After School Special Ch8 + more Pg5

aish_punk thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

After School Special

Chapter 1: Those special dreams

Ein wanted to be normal.

Droplets of sweat jumped off his fingertips, twirled about his pencil, and rained down on his paper. This was it: the Final Test. All he had to do was pass this simple algebra exam, and he could graduate, and he would be on his way to the life he always wanted.

Ein stared at the first problem, but he could hardly see anything through the puffy skin that surrounded his eyes. Whenever he took a test, his face would puff up like marshmallows in a microwave. No matter, this would be a synch. He knew algebra, like the back of his hand. He stared at the back of his hand and spotted a mole he'd never seen before.

WHAT IF HE FAILED???

He could see his future children now, sitting at his feet, as he read to them by the fireplace. "Daddy, why did you fail high school algebra?" asked his daughter. "Daddy, is it normal for people to go to high school for more than four years?" asked his son.

Ein gripped his pencil so hard, it snapped in half. No matter, it still worked. His watch beeped. Only five minutes left! He concentrated and calculated the answers in his head.

One minute left, and he'd almost finished calculating the last problem. He was actually going to make it. He was going to graduate.

Thirty seconds left, and he realized that although he'd been calculating the answers to these problems, he'd forgotten to write the answers on the page. The answer to question #1 was 2X+3. Wasn't it? He scribbled down the answers, and finished the instant Mrs. Butterfield said, "Pencils down!"

Ein looked over at Princess. She was, of course, busy sneaking cookies into her mouth when the teacher wasn't looking. When she noticed him looking at her, she arched an eyebrow, and Ein shrugged. She gave him a confident thumbs up. At least she believed in him.

The bell rang.

Everyone rushed out, but Ein. He approached Mrs. Butterfield and cleared his throat.

"Yes, Mr. Masters?"

"Um, Mrs. Butterfield, I know you like watching your soap between classes, but I was wondering if you could grade my test right now. It's just'my whole livelihood depends on this grade. If I fail then'then I don't know what I'm going to do."

She stared at him for a few moments then nodded. "Sit down and I'll grade. But know, I'm only doing this because I believe in you, Mr. Masters." She rummaged through the pile of tests. "I do hope you graduate. I really do." She found his test, and twirled her favorite red marker with her fingers. "I look at your brother, and I know that you have the genetics to be something very special. When I spoke to your parents during our parent-teacher meeting, I could tell that you have wonderful family support." Her marker pecked at the page like a starving chicken. "You mother is a doctor, and your father is a lawyer. You have the potential, but I fear that if you don't put your mind to your studies, you'll never get anywhere in the world. I don't know what it is about you, Mr. Masters. Perhaps you have some sort of addiction."

Yeah right. The last horrible substance Ein allowed into his body was eating glue in kindergarten.

"Or perhaps you're spending all your time trying to get girls."

Ein almost laughed, but he didn't.

"In any case, Mr. Masters, I hope you can learn to work harder, because grades like this just aren't going to cut it in the real world." She handed him the test.

Ein ran outside and found Princess waiting for him.

She pulled the lollypop out of her mouth. "Well?"

He held out the test. "D-! I'm going to graduate!" Somehow, at that moment, he felt richer than the wealthiest kid in the world.

Vincent Vandervander knew what it was going to be. His father wasn't one of those normal dads who gave expensive sports cars or houses. His father thought big. At the least, he'd be getting a multi-million dollar company. Perhaps even a small country. Whatever it was, Vincent zoomed through the hallways in his vanity wheelchair, and skidded into his father's chamber.

"You wanted to speak to me about something, father?"

His father sipped champagne, while the chimpanzee butlers fanned him on all sides. He sat up on his nest of pastel pillows and motioned for Vincent to come closer.

Vincent obeyed. "If this is about my graduation present, father, I just want you to know, I don't care what you give me, as long as it comes from the heart." Vincent knew that would spawn a smile. His father ate that stuff up like caviar.

"That's good to know, Vincent. But I know you don't mean it."

Vincent frowned. He didn't like his father's tone. "What is this about?"

"Growing up, every possible want and need I ever had was taken care of. When I wanted a car, I got a car. When I wanted a wife, I bought your mother." His father's voice made it seem like these were bad things. "But this is not the life I want for you, my son. There must be more to life than getting everything you could possibly want. I won't pretend to know what that thing is, but I want you to have the chance to find it. Therefore--"

"Father!" Vincent scrambled off his wheelchair and grabbed his father's hand. "Whatever you're about to say, don't say it. Please."

"Therefore, your graduation present is'complete and utter independence!"

Vincent fell to his knees. "Father, no!"

His father's stone face didn't waver. "I've already made your decision. There's no need fussing about the inevitable."

"Can I at least keep the credit cards?"

His father shook his head.

Vincent tried to make a run for it, but his father motioned to the chimpanzees. The primates held Vincent down and took his European handbag.

His father found the credit cards, and began cutting them with the oversized golden scissors he'd used the day before at the grand opening of one of his new buildings.

Vincent reached out, but the chimps held him back. "Please, not Frederick too!"

"Frederick too." His father snipped the last credit. "You're free, my son."

"But father, I don't want to be free! Freedom is where all the poor people live!"

His father dropped the dead carcasses of the cards onto the floor. "And now you are one of them."

"Can I at least keep this sweater?"

"I'll buy you a new outfit at Q-Mart."

"Noooooo!"

Ein ran into his room and locked the door. Ah, sanctuary. He had everything an average teenage boy should have. A bookshelf filled with books he'd never read and never would read, posters of popular movies and bands (most of which he didn't really like), a messed up bed, and a desk healthy enough to do homework on.

Here, Ein felt the most normal.

The phone rang.

"Hello, this is Ein."

"Moshi-moshi."

"Hi, Princess."

"Ein, what are you're plans for college?"

A giant flem ball clogged Ein's throat. It took him a few moments to swallow it down. "Where did this come from all of a sudden? We've never talked about this before."

"I'm just curious."

"Well you know I won't get to go to the college you go to. We'll just have to be online friends after graduation."

Princess sighed. "Doesn't that make you sad?"

"Of course it does. You're my'well, you're my best friend."

Princess was silent.

Ein coughed into the phone, then--"So, uh, where did you get accepted?"

"I got accepted to all the schools I applied for, but my parents want me to go to OCRA. It has a really good medical program. So I guess that's where I'm going. What about you? What colleges did you get into?"

Ein really didn't want to answer that question, but then again, Princess was his best friend. By putting up with him for all these years, she'd earned the right to know things like this. "I uh'I didn't get into any."

"Not one?"

"Nope." He lowered his eyes and stared at the floor, even though there was no one else in the room. "Princess, I have something I want to tell you. It's'not easy for me to say. I haven't told anyone the truth about this."

"What is it, Ein?"

"It's about my SAT scores. You know how I told you I did alright on it?"

"Yes."

"That was a lie. I actually got a really, really, really bad score."

"How bad?"

"Well'I got a zero."

Princess was quiet for a moment, then burst out laughing. "You almost had me there for a second."

Ein felt weak all of a sudden, and he wanted to lie down and sleep for a few years. "I'm being serious. I got a zero. I'm the biggest loser in the world."

She stopped laughing. "I'm sure there've been others who've gotten zeroes."

There was a beep. "Hold on. I got someone on the other line." Ein pressed the button. "Hello, this is Ein."

"Hello, this is Charles Green on behalf of the Grimace Book of World Records. I'm calling to inform you that you have achieved a new world record. No other person in the history of Earth has ever received a zero on their SATs. You even did worse than that dog who accidentally took it back in '92 when--"

Ein pressed the button again. "Princess?"

"I'm still here. Who was on the other line?"

"My confidence." Ein lowered himself onto the floor and curled up in a little ball. "He said he's going away, and he doesn't know if he's ever coming back."

Sunflower unbuckled her briefcase and packed her things. "I said I'm going away, and I don't know if I'm ever coming back!"

Her parents, Moon and Shine, blocked her doorway. "You aren't going anywhere, young lady," said Moon. "We're doing this for your own good," said Shine.

Sunflower placed her pens into her briefcase, in a straight row. "I don't care what you think. I'm going."

Shine stepped forward and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Listen to me, Sunflower. I'm your mother, and I know what's best for you. You can't just go out there and forget everything we've taught you."

"I can and I will." Sunflower put her calculator into the briefcase so that it was perpendicular to the pencils.

Moon rubbed his forehead, like he always did when he was upset. "So you're going to waste your life, drowning yourself in numbers and documents."

"That's right. I am." Sunflower buckled up her briefcase. "Goodbye, mom. Goodbye, dad."

Her parents still blocked the doorway. "What about the values we taught you?" said Moon. "I thought you knew that hard work isn't important. I thought you were smarter than that."

"I guess I'm not." Sunflower looked at her parents one last time. They were spotted with color from the painting they were working on. Together, her parents were two ends of a rainbow. A rainbow that was in her way of achieving her dreams. So she grabbed her briefcase, and squeezed between the rainbow until she was free.

Sunflower was tired of colors. She was tired of the paintings and the sculptures and the poetry. She wanted black and white. Numbers. But most of all, equations that always made sense.

"It doesn't make any sense, Ein." Princess sat on Ein's bed. "You're a smart enough. I don't see how you could get a zero. It must be a mistake."

Ein swiveled in his chair, back and forth. "It doesn't really matter anymore anyway. I'm already enrolled in community college classes for this summer. I'll be fine."

Princess's eyes widened. "Oh yeah, I baked you some feel-better cookies!" She searched her backpack and pulled out an empty bag. "I guess I ate 'em all. Sorry."

Ein shook his head. "What I don't understand is how you can eat so much, and still stay so skinny."

"It's a gift, I guess." She laughed, then fidgeted with her fingers. "Ein, remember when we were little kids?"

"Yes."

"I remember you used to always tell me about your life. Not the life you had, I mean the one you wanted to have when you grew up. And it was always the same. You wanted to be the president of your high school, then go to OCRA like your mom did, then meet the girl of your dreams."

"Yeah, I was pretty stupid back then."

Princess shook her head, hard. "No, you weren't. I guess I just want to say that I'm sorry. Sorry that things haven't worked out like you wanted."

Ein wanted to cry, but he couldn't in front of her. Instead, he took a deep breath and--"So what if my life isn't perfect. There are some things more important than having a normal life."

"Like what?"

Like what? "Well, I guess, there's our dreams. And I don't mean our normal college-job dreams."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean the special dreams. The really special ones. The ones we have deep down inside us." He swallowed. "So maybe I'm not gonna get to follow my normal college-job dream, but that just means I'll have the opportunity to go after my special one. Yeah, so you don't have to worry about me, Princess. Go to college and don't think that I'm having a bad time. I'm sure I'll be having the time of my life."

"Really?"

Of course not! Ein didn't have any special dreams! He'd spent too much time thinking about his perfect life! "Really."

"Newton Masters!" Ein's brother walked onto the stage and got his diploma. The principal gave Newton a kiss on the cheek and the crowd cheered. Ein couldn't blame them. Newton was the president of the senior class, a star soccer player, a genius, and an all-around nice guy.

Somehow, Newton's name was called before Ein, despite the fact that Ein's name came sooner in the alphabet. But this was the way of Ein's life. He hardly questioned the oddities anymore.

"Einstein Masters." Ein walked onto stage. He received a limp handshake from the principal, and he only heard Princess's voice cheering him on. This was one of those situations that Ein's body didn't like very much. His body puffed up and sweat gushed from his skin, so much so that when he reached for his diploma, a big waterfall of sweat shot out and flooded the stage. He didn't see where the sweat landed. He only felt the great mass leave his body. So when he was walking away, he didn't notice the puddle under his feet. He slipped and his head banged the wood floor.

The next thing he knew, he was waking up at the back of the auditorium, with the nurse holding a bag of ice on his head.

"Mr. Mannies, are you all right?"

"Yes."

Princess was on stage, in the middle of her speech. Ein had always planned on being the valedictorian of his class, but considering that his average GPA was a D, Princess was probably the better choice, with her A+++.

He waited for the ringing in his ears to quiet, so he could listen.

"We had some good times, and some bad times," Princess said, looking down. "But the most important thing was that we shared this time together. The most important thing I learned in these four years is'" Princess was obviously reading from a card, and she looked miserable. Her eyes caught Ein's and she was quiet for a white. Then, she said, "The most important thing I learned is that you don't have to be smart to be the smartest kid at school. All you need is parents who breathe down your neck if you get anything less than an A. So I guess what I've learned from high school is that it doesn't matter how smart or nice you are, success is based solely upon how scared you are of failing. But you know what, mom? I'm not scared anymore. Someone taught me that there's something more important than these college-job dreams we're supposed to have. There's other dreams. Special dreams. So instead of going to college, I'm going to follow my own special dream. My dream of becoming the best professional gluttonist in the world!"

okay, 1st of all this story isnt written by me. Its written by Jeremy.C and i just thought of sharing it with you all.

I really liked it, and i hope u do too.

Do post ur comments..i will forward them to him..

-aish
Edited by aish_punk - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Girl_2007 thumbnail
aww its just impressive and amazing 😃 i wud like to read more plz.
_.serendipity._ thumbnail

Oh wow, it's really super awesome!! ⭐️⭐️⭐️  I wanna read more too!! 😃
Really very well-written.
Some snippets I absolutely loved:

He knew algebra, like the back of his hand. He stared at the back of his hand and spotted a mole he'd never seen before.

WHAT IF HE FAILED??? << lol

Freedom is where all the poor people live

"Hello, this is Charles Green on behalf of the Grimace Book of World Records. I'm calling to inform you that you have achieved a new world record. No other person in the history of Earth has ever received a zero on their SATs. You even did worse than that dog who accidentally took it back in '92 when--"

"I'm still here. Who was on the other line?"

"My confidence." Ein lowered himself onto the floor and curled up in a little ball. "He said he's going away, and he doesn't know if he's ever coming back." << megaLOL!!

Thanks for sharing, Aish! And Jeremy C, it's BRILLIANT!! 👏

Edited by _.serendipity._ - 14 years ago
Rafa.LunaPotter thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
WOW..what a start...
Great one yaar....
Man you are getting better day by da Aish...!!!
thanska  lot for the PM
LOve
Aru

-Niky- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Aww its really good aish..
do post more soon!!!😳
*Nishi* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
hahahaa wow.. this is really really good
i dont get it though.. how can u been a senior and not pass ALGEBRA???? 😆😆😆 depends where u live i gues.. but even that still. i have a D- minus in algebra too haha. this is really cool.. different people in their last few moments before college and stuff.. sweet
aish_punk thumbnail
Girl_2007 - yeah posting more, the updates will be fast i guess, since its all, aldready written

hema di - lol yeah i know i love it! <3..

niky - yeah sure sweetheart!..

nishi - well no clue..i didn't really think of it ..yeah..keep commenting!

i'll make sure to post all ur comments to him! :)..

aru - thanks ..but its not wrriten by me 😳
aish_punk thumbnail

Chapter 2: Broke

"Who would have thought, our two sons would be graduating at the same time, when Newton's two years younger," Ein's father said, sparkles in his eyes.

The mammoth waiter approached and looked down at them. "What can I get for you tonight?"

"Lasagna for everyone!" Ein's mother closed her menus. "It's our boys' favorite."

"Very good, madam."

It was Newton's favorite, of course. Ein could hardly stand the stuff. But he kept his mouth shut.

Newton conversed with a group of girls at the table beside them. Girls Newton didn't even know, probably.

Ein's parents stared at Ein, and he didn't like the look on their faces.

"As you know, Ein," his mother said, "Newton is going to start his internship at the capital in a few days."

Ein lowered his eyes. "Yeah, I know."

His father said, "What you don't know is that your mother and I have decided to take a long vacation. It'd mean you'd be all alone the whole summer--" Alone. That didn't sound too unappealing actually. "--if we hadn't invited your Grandma to stay with you."

Oh no. Not Grandma. "I wouldn't want to give Grandma an trouble. She shouldn't have to come. I'll be fine by myself."

"She volunteered, actually," his mother informed.

Of course she did. Of course she wouldn't pass up the opportunity to make Ein's life more miserable. That was one of her favorite hobbies. Even as a child, he remembered always crying at her house. "Are you sure Grandma is up to this? She is pretty old."

"Einstein," said his father, "your Grandma is coming and that's final."

"It'll be good for you," his mother added. "If you want to survive in the real world, you're going to need to learn some discipline."

Ein felt a chill run up his spine, and that chill intensified when a platter of cold drinks smashed against his head. Sodas, margaritas, wines--a rainbow of refreshment--ruined his rented suit (that all graduating seniors were required to wear under their robes during the ceremony, for some stupid reason).

"I'm so sorry!" A girl scrambled over to Ein's side. She attempted to pick up the glasses from off his lap, but slammed her forehead into his in the process. The girl fell backwards.

Ein reached out, attempting to save her from the fall. He grabbed her shirt and ripped it down the middle.

She slammed against the ground, and when she realized that her bra was showing, she covered herself with her serving platter.

Sweat geysered from his pores. "I'I'" He stood from his seat and took a step closer to the girl. He wanted to help her to her feet, but he slipped on the puddle of spilled drinks and fell on top of her.

Ein's face had never been so close to a girl's face before. He could see right into her eyes. They were green with a little circle of gold around the black part. He could feel her breath on his lips.

"Could you please get off of me?"

"Oh, yeah." He rolled off her, and stood quickly. "I'm really--uh, really sorry about that."

She stood and ran away, tears in her eyes.

Newton placed a hand on his shoulder. "Very smooth, big brother."

Ein thought of a perfect comeback, but somehow, he didn't feel like saying it.

"Not silver, you idiot! I told you gold! Gold!" Vincent sighed. It was so hard to find good minions these days.

Old Hobo Joe dropped the can of silver spray paint, and sprayed Vincent's cardboard castle with the gold one.

Vincent paced back and forth, studying his fortress. It wasn't much, but this place would do for now.

Vincent chuckled evilly.

Old Hobo Joe laughed too.

"Only I may laugh like that!" Vincent growled. "Get back to work!"

Old Hobo Joe saluted and continued spraying.

Vincent laughed again.

All he really needed to do now was recruit more men for his hobo army, so he could siege his old mansion, and take over.

Then his father would be sorry.

Sunflower stuck her tongue out at the office building, and kept walking.

She knew she was the best. She'd read every book about economics and accounting that had ever been written. All she needed now was experience. But for some reason, no one wanted to hire her.

No matter. Even rejection was better than being at home with those hippies.

She went to the street corner and bought a hot dog from the vender. At least she wasn't completely broke. She had to sacrifice her piggy bank, but it kept her from being homeless.

Speaking of homeless--

A teenage boy sitting at the mouth of an alleyway, dressed in nothing but a white robe, scribbled into a notebook. Sunflower couldn't help but looking at him, and wonder what he was writing about. Maybe it was a letter to a long lost friend, or a family member, telling them about his life. Or maybe he was an orphan, and he was writing a story about a boy who never knew what it was like to be hungry. Maybe this orphan found solace in the fantasy worlds he created.

A streetwalker threw some change into the orphan's lap.

The orphan picked up the change, and studied it. "Why the heck do people keep throwing these things at me!"

Sunflower stepped closer to the boy. "That's money."

The boy's eyes widened. "That's what money looks like?"

Sunflower felt her heart breaking. This poor boy had been so poor his whole life, he never even learned what money was. She sat down beside him. "Would you like me to buy you a hot dog?"

"What's a hot dog?"

A tear almost escaped her eyes. She held up her hot dog. "It's one of these."

"Are those things edible?"

"Yes."

"I'm not used to eating things of that'caliber, but I suppose I will have one."

The poor kid had eaten trash his whole life, he didn't even know what real food looked like. Sunflower bought him a hotdog and handed it over. "There you go."

He took a bite and spit it out, all over Sunflower. "I can't eat this."

"I understand." She wiped her face off. He must not have been used to eating food with so many spices and flavors. "My name is Sunflower, by the way."

"Vincent Vandervander."

She smiled. "I know we just met, but I was wondering, would you like to take a walk with me?"

Princess dumped her underwear out of a box, and Ein forced himself to look away. He gazed out the window of the old tree house and the memories bombarded his consciousness. Him and Princess had built this place when they were kids, and no one but them had ever been in here. It was their secret place.

"I'm finished putting away my underwear. You can breathe now."

Ein coughed nervously, and faced her again. "I still can't believe you're doing this."

"You heard my speech."

"I heard it, but I didn't believe it."

"You should." She stuck a whole candy bar into her mouth and chewed. "You're the one who inspired me to do it."

But he didn't mean it! "Yeah, well, you just don't seem like the type of person who would do something like this."

Her eyes glowed red and she said through clenched teeth, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing!" He backed away, almost out the door. Luckily, he managed to grab Princess's plotted plant and rebalanced himself. "All I'm saying is that I don't think this is a good idea. You can't live in a tree house."

"Of course I can."

"What about when it's winter?"

"It's not winter. It's summer. And by the time winter comes around, I'm already going to find enough sponsors to support me."

"What if you don't?"

She sighed. "This is my dream, Ein. Ever since I was a little girl, I wanted to be a professional eater. It's what I'm good at. It's what I love."

He didn't say anything in response. It wouldn't do any good anyway. For all the years he knew her, he'd never been able to talk her out of anything.

"You're thinking about Waitress Girl again, aren't you?"

He shook his head. "No."

"You know she's all you've been talking about the past few days. Waitress Girl this, Waitress Girl that. Why don't you just go to Mario's and ask her out already."

Ein felt his face puffing up. "I don't like her. I was just talking about her so much because it was such an embarrassing thing to happen."

"As embarrassing as this?" She threw a cluster of panties at Ein's head.

He leaned backwards, so far that he fell out the door. His bottom crashed against the forest floor, and he heard a crack.

Princess poked her head out the door. "I'm sorry, Ein! I didn't know you'd fall! Are you okay?"

Ein shook his head. "I think I broke my butt."

"People don't break their butts." Princess sat at the foot of Ein's bed and smiled.

"Well apparently some people do. And it's not funny."

"I'm sorry," but she didn't remove her smile. "At least you don't have to wear a butt cast."

"I don't even want to imagine that."

"Well." She stood. "I'm off to find some sponsors."

"Good luck."

Princess patted his foot and left.

Ein sighed. Newton already left for the capital, and his parents started their vacation, and his Grandma hadn't arrived yet, and so Ein was all alone with a broken tailbone, and he didn't even have a tail.

In theory, being alone wasn't something Ein thought badly of. At least when no one else was around, he didn't have to worry about messing things up, like he tended to do. But now, lying in bed, staring at the ceiling, he wished for something to happen.

And the doorbell rang.

Ein sat up out of habit, and regretted it. Every little movement made his bottom bone shoot painful darts to his brain.

The doorbell rang again.

While the idea of going all the way downstairs filled him with horror, he decided he might as well see who it was. He stood from his bed and looked out the window. Down, standing at his door, was Waitress Girl. And she started to walk away!

"Wait." He cleared his throat. "Wait! I'll be down in a second!"

She looked up and nodded.

Ein took a deep breath, and began his trek from his bedroom, downstairs, to the front door. It was a quest he hoped his mind would soon repress.

He opened the door. "Hello."

She stared at him for a moment. "Are you crying?"

"No, uh'" He wiped his cheeks. "It's just so hot in here."

"It feels pretty cold to me."

"Oh, it's cold down here, but hot in my room." He felt his face swelling. "There's this, uh, hot pipe running through the center of my room."

"Oh." She held out her hand.

Ein reached out to shake it, but realized she was holding out money. So he took it. "What's this for?"

"To pay for your dry cleaning. I ruined your suit and I'm sorry. If the cleaning doesn't get the stains out, I'll pay for a new suit."

Ein felt his skin puffing out. No, he had to control himself. He didn't want her to see him in his puffy-cheek gerbil form. He took a deep breath. "I can't accept this. You see, uh, that suit that you ruined'it was an old suit. My parents were planning on buying me a new one anyway. So'here." He held out the money.

She stared at the wad of bills for a moment, then shook her head. "You keep it."

"No. I can't."

"Even if you are getting a new suit, I feel responsible. I probably ruined your whole night with my clumsiness."

"That's not true. I mean, I asked for one soda, and I got like ten. That's a deal, if you ask me."

She laughed softly. It was the most beautiful sound Ein had ever heard.

"I'm'I'm really sorry about your shirt," Ein said. "I didn't mean to'you know."

She looked down. "Yeah. I have to go now."

He realized he was still holding the money. "Not without this, you're not." He held out the doe, but she wouldn't take it. Then he tried to force it into one of her hands, but she moved that hand, and he grabbed her skirt. The pain in his buttocks caused by that motion made Ein collapse forward, and he pulled down her skirt.

At that moment, a busload of children drove by. They laughed and pointed, and Waitress Girl's face turned red. She pulled up her skirt and ran.

Ein watched her leave, and he knew that even if he wanted to, he wouldn't be able to follow her in his condition. After she was out of sight, he looked down at the fallen money, scattered about. He bent over, and picked them up one by one. The pain in his bottom didn't really matter anymore.

Vincent walked with the poor girl through what the sign called a "Park." But this was like no park Vincent had ever imagined. There were no fountains, hardly any flowers, and there was actually trash littered about.

"I've tried almost every business in this whole town," the girl said, "but no one wants to hire me."

Vincent never realized that people had to work in order to find work. It was a ludicrous thought, and he was glad that he'd never stoop so low.

"But enough about me," she said. "Tell me about you, Vincent. Why are you living on the streets?"

"Because my father threw me out of his home. He doesn't want me anymore."

"I'm so sorry." She sat on the grass and looked out at the horizon below, at the sunset.

Vincent sat beside her, but didn't look at the stupid scenery. People only turned to nature when they were too poor to look at expensive paintings and Polynesian rugs.

"You know what," said the girl. "If those people out there don't want to hire me, I'll just have to hire myself."

"Now how exactly does one do that?"

"Well, I'll have to start off small. Like a lemonade stand. Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll start off with one, then two, and so on. Then I'll make enough money to start something bigger. But I'll need help. I won't be able to man all the stands by myself." She looked at him. "Vincent, would you like to work for me? I'll pay you a daily salary, and you'll get to have free lemonade. What do you think?"

Vincent didn't like the idea of working, but then again, he needed money to finance a suitable hobo army. "I think you have yourself a worker."

The girl held out her hand.

Vincent stared at it for a while, then took it.

They shook.

It was a strange custom among the working folk, but Vincent kind of liked it.

"RISE AND SHINE!!!"

Ein exploded out of bed, and the pain erupted from his buttocks to the others parts of his body like a volcano.

A tiny old woman stood on his dresser. His Grandma. "Good morning, Einny-Poo!" She held a megaphone to her lips. "NOW GET DRESSED! GET PREPPED! WE GOT A LONG DAY AHEAD OF US!"

Ein rubbed his eyes. "But Grandma, I broke my--"

"THERE'S NO TIME FOR CHITCHAT!" She hopped off the dresser, onto his bed, and pointed the megaphone right into his ear. "NOW STRIP AND GET INTO YOUR WORK CLOTHES!"

Ein stumbled backwards, by the force of the sound. "Could you at least get out of my room first?"

"IT'S NOT LIKE I'VE NEVER SEEN YOU NAKED BEFORE, EINNY-POO!"

"I was a little kid back then."

"FINE! FINE! I'LL LEAVE! BUT GET DRESSED ON THE DOUBLE!"

She sped out of his room, and he closed the door.

Maybe he could lock her out, and go back to sleep. No, she would just climb through his window, or break down the door. There was no stopping Grandma when she was like this.

So he got dressed, and managed to get himself down stairs. He went into the kitchen. A mop flew through the air and smashed into his head.

"WELL DON'T JUST STAND THERE! PICK IT UP! WE'RE GOING TO CLEAN THIS PLACE UP UNTIL THE DIRT'S TOO AFRAID TO EVER COME BACK! WE'LL START WITH THE KITCHEN!"

Ein rubbed his forehead. "I really shouldn't be moving right now, Grandma. I broke my tailbone a few days ago and--"

"TAILBONE! YOU'RE NOT A MONKEY! THAT'S THE WORST EXCUSE I'VE EVER HEARD!"

"But it's true."

She spun a broom with her free hand like a ninja weapon, then pointed it at him. "NOW MOP! MOP LIKE YOU'VE NEVER MOPPED BEFORE!"

"But--"

"YOUR PARENTS SAID YOU WEREN'T GOOD WITH RESPONSIBILITY! BUT THAT'S ALL GOING TO CHANGE NOW THAT GRANDMA'S HERE

enjoy reading, and do post ur comments, its going to him.

btw am sending PM's to whoever has pressed 'like' or commented, hope u don't mind, and if u do please let me know!

-aish
Rafa.LunaPotter thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Really wunnerful Aish!!!
Great part!

Loved reading this one!
Update soon...I really wanna know more!
Love
~Aru

_.serendipity._ thumbnail
😆 😆 😆
Every meeting of Ein and the Waitress girl turns out to be such a disaster! I can't imagine what it'd be like if they got together (as I hope they will 😉 ). Sparks will fly for sure!
Great update, and very well-written 👏 👏 👏
Good job, Jeremy C!!
Thanks for sharing Aish!
Edited by _.serendipity._ - 14 years ago