Page 2 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 29 December 2009 at 8:45am | IP Logged
What's it about?

Someone told me Twilight was sort of copied from it. Is that true?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Saying of the Month...Dobby! (Page 2)" in Harry Potter forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

cityoflights

IF-Veteran Member

cityoflights

Posted: 29 December 2009 at 9:16am | IP Logged
Originally posted by _LalithaJanaki_

Okay Guys!

It's now time for the next Saying of the Month by our new Character of the Month...Dobby!

Let's take a look at a quote of Dobby's minutes before his death.Cry

"Dobby has no master!" squealed the elf, "Dobby is a free elf, and Dobby has come to save Harry Potter and his friends!"

-Deathly Hallows Chapter 23 - Pg. 474 (American version)

Now here are some questions to consider about our favorite Dobby...

1. In what ways does Dobby's rebellion against the Malfoy Family, as well as the obstacles he meets due to it, symbolize the prejudices of today's society against 'lesser' folks? Basically, how and why is the character of Dobby essential for us to form a comparison between the prejudices of JKR's magical world and today's society of the 'real' world? I agree with what everyone else said about today's folks, but when I first read about house elves and their masters, I thought of the slavery in the south some time back in the US, and then the Civil War.....which could be like the rebellion.

2. Though Dobby's character is truly heroic for the sacrifice he did at the cost of his own life, do you think JKR was trying to tell us in deeper terms that ultimately rebellion, even for a good cause, will end in punishment for the rebel? I mean, think about it. Dobby, wanting to be free, broke himself away from the Malfoy family and died in the end while Kreacher, who stuck with the Black family despite the ill treatment he faced, lived. So is JKR trying to tell us that if you want to rebel against something, be it ill treatment or prejudices, death or another form of punishment will be the result in most of the cases? I don't think so....I think JK is just trying to say that things don't always end up fair for everyone.

3. Was Dobby ever really a free elf? Right when he was free of the Malfoy Family, he became employed at Hogwarts, and though Dumbledore was the kindest of masters, ultimately he wasn't really 'free' in the literal sense. Moreover, Dobby always obeyed each every order/request of Harry's. Did Dobby consider Harry his master? If so, was Dobby ever free? I think Dobby was free, because he free from what he wanted to be free from. He was leading his life the way he wanted to.

4. What are the differences in thinking of Dobby and Kreacher? Though both are noble elves and you can't help but love both of them, their opinions about master/slave relationship are completely contradictory. Who do you think is more correct in their thinking, and did their way of thinking help them in the end or proove harmful? I think both are correct in their thinking because they had totally dif. situations.

Have fun guys!WinkNice questions! :D
-HP Dev Team

Edited by MusicalAiswarya - 29 December 2009 at 9:19am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

..RamKiJanaki..

chhilt

IF-Rockerz

chhilt

Posted: 29 December 2009 at 10:10am | IP Logged
@Lalitha.... I'll PM you.... cause we're straying off the topic here :P LOL

missindia26

IF-Rockerz

missindia26

Posted: 29 December 2009 at 12:00pm | IP Logged
1. In what ways does Dobby's rebellion against the Malfoy Family, as well as the obstacles he meets due to it, symbolize the prejudices of today's society against 'lesser' folks? Basically, how and why is the character of Dobby essential for us to form a comparison between the prejudices of JKR's magical world and today's society of the 'real' world? I think there's a really strong resemblance to the modern world, the Malfoy family were rich and powerful enough that they could get away with doing whatever they wanted and Dobby's character highlights that

2. Though Dobby's character is truly heroic for the sacrifice he did at the cost of his own life, do you think JKR was trying to tell us in deeper terms that ultimately rebellion, even for a good cause, will end in punishment for the rebel? I mean, think about it. Dobby, wanting to be free, broke himself away from the Malfoy family and died in the end while Kreacher, who stuck with the Black family despite the ill treatment he faced, lived. So is JKR trying to tell us that if you want to rebel against something, be it ill treatment or prejudices, death or another form of punishment will be the result in most of the cases? No, I think she supports fighting against injustice but was also pointing out that death isn't fair, and not only bad people die

3. Was Dobby ever really a free elf? Right when he was free of the Malfoy Family, he became employed at Hogwarts, and though Dumbledore was the kindest of masters, ultimately he wasn't really 'free' in the literal sense. Moreover, Dobby always obeyed each every order/request of Harry's. Did Dobby consider Harry his master? If so, was Dobby ever free? I would say he was free because he chose to be at Hogwarts/help Harry, he enjoyed helping and he was never forced to do somthing he didn't want to

4. What are the differences in thinking of Dobby and Kreacher? Though both are noble elves and you can't help but love both of them, their opinions about master/slave relationship are completely contradictory. Who do you think is more correct in their thinking, and did their way of thinking help them in the end or prove harmful? I can't really say either was more correct, because they both had different circumstances and differnt amounts of loyalty to their first masters. I don't think Dobby's way of thinking was the reason for his death, but I do think that Kreacher's attitude helped him to survive

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

chhiltcityoflights..RamKiJanaki..

Post Reply New Post

Go to top