Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 27 December 2009 at 12:30pm | IP Logged

Okay Guys!

It's now time for the next Saying of the Month by our new Character of the Month...Dobby!

Let's take a look at a quote of Dobby's minutes before his death.Cry

"Dobby has no master!" squealed the elf, "Dobby is a free elf, and Dobby has come to save Harry Potter and his friends!"

-Deathly Hallows Chapter 23 - Pg. 474 (American version)

Now here are some questions to consider about our favorite Dobby...

1. In what ways does Dobby's rebellion against the Malfoy Family, as well as the obstacles he meets due to it, symbolize the prejudices of today's society against 'lesser' folks? Basically, how and why is the character of Dobby essential for us to form a comparison between the prejudices of JKR's magical world and today's society of the 'real' world?

2. Though Dobby's character is truly heroic for the sacrifice he did at the cost of his own life, do you think JKR was trying to tell us in deeper terms that ultimately rebellion, even for a good cause, will end in punishment for the rebel? I mean, think about it. Dobby, wanting to be free, broke himself away from the Malfoy family and died in the end while Kreacher, who stuck with the Black family despite the ill treatment he faced, lived. So is JKR trying to tell us that if you want to rebel against something, be it ill treatment or prejudices, death or another form of punishment will be the result in most of the cases?

3. Was Dobby ever really a free elf? Right when he was free of the Malfoy Family, he became employed at Hogwarts, and though Dumbledore was the kindest of masters, ultimately he wasn't really 'free' in the literal sense. Moreover, Dobby always obeyed each every order/request of Harry's. Did Dobby consider Harry his master? If so, was Dobby ever free?

4. What are the differences in thinking of Dobby and Kreacher? Though both are noble elves and you can't help but love both of them, their opinions about master/slave relationship are completely contradictory. Who do you think is more correct in their thinking, and did their way of thinking help them in the end or proove harmful?

Have fun guys!Wink
-HP Dev Team

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Saying of the Month...Dobby!" in Harry Potter forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

-Navi

IF-Rockerz

-Navi

Posted: 27 December 2009 at 2:48pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by _LalithaJanaki_

1. In what ways does Dobby's rebellion against the Malfoy Family, as well as the obstacles he meets due to it, symbolize the prejudices of today's society against 'lesser' folks? Basically, how and why is the character of Dobby essential for us to form a comparison between the prejudices of JKR's magical world and today's society of the 'real' world?
Dobby because he was an house-elf he was seen to be an inferior by not only the Malfoys but the rest of the wizarding population as well saw house-elves to be much lower and unequal. Barty Crouch Sr treated his house elf horribly too and he was no death eater unlike Lucius. So it once again shows the world isn't this black-and-white or good-and-evil perfectly divided world, there's a lot of gray and in between. I personally did not like Dobby but with the exception of his role during Malfoy Manor but Dobby is a great plot tool JKR used to commenate on her views like she does very often throughout the novel. Harry was very concerned (for a lack of a better word) whenever Dobby started to physically inflict pain on himself, so that shows the imporance of caring for others even though society has declared them to be lesser or unworthy of respect/equality/whatever. JKR used Dobby to show that medieval views should be altered and her showng the importance in equal rights since I know that JKR used to work with Amnesty International.

2. Though Dobby's character is truly heroic for the sacrifice he did at the cost of his own life, do you think JKR was trying to tell us in deeper terms that ultimately rebellion, even for a good cause, will end in punishment for the rebel? I mean, think about it. Dobby, wanting to be free, broke himself away from the Malfoy family and died in the end while Kreacher, who stuck with the Black family despite the ill treatment he faced, lived. So is JKR trying to tell us that if you want to rebel against something, be it ill treatment or prejudices, death or another form of punishment will be the result in most of the cases?
I think JKR is just showing that life isn't fair. Simple as that. More over, Dobby's death was used as a plot device so that Harry's sorrow will be to override Voldemort's thoughts that were back in Harrys head.

3. Was Dobby ever really a free elf? Right when he was free of the Malfoy Family, he became employed at Hogwarts, and though Dumbledore was the kindest of masters, ultimately he wasn't really 'free' in the literal sense. Moreover, Dobby always obeyed each every order/request of Harry's. Did Dobby consider Harry his master? If so, was Dobby ever free?
Dobby was free in the sense of the type of freedom he wanted. He got free from the Malfoys who were horrible to him. Dobby obeyed the Malfoys because he had to but he "obeyed" Harry out of choice, so there's a bit of a difference there.

4. What are the differences in thinking of Dobby and Kreacher? Though both are noble elves and you can't help but love both of them, their opinions about master/slave relationship are completely contradictory. Who do you think is more correct in their thinking, and did their way of thinking help them in the end or proove harmful?
 Apples and Oranges. I don't believe in correc-and-incorrect when it comes to moral thinking, there's only right-and-wrong which is completely dependent on your moral thinking. I don't really know how to answer this question, I guess JKR was showing that Kreacher was a product of his circumstances and that's why he is the way he is. Dobby was a product of his circumstances and he turned out like that.
Have fun guys!Wink
-HP Dev Team

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

-Preciouschhilt..RamKiJanaki..

-Precious

IF-Dazzler

-Precious

Posted: 27 December 2009 at 3:33pm | IP Logged

That's a really interesting point...and come to think of it very true as well. It never occured to me but it really captures the whole idea of the treatment of the lesser people. i mean its exactly how they are treated in the real world!

No i don't think so...wasn't harry rebelling against evil/pureblood theory and ultimately voldemort...he didn't die did he? neither did hermione or ron or any of the other...when fighing a war doesn't each side lose some of its men? after all no ones perfect right? soo the deaths of dobby fred lupin tonks etc do not necessarily mean that rebeeling will lead you to any kind of punishment! 

when dobby worked for the malfoys he was forced to obey each order where as with dumbledore/harry he willingly took their orders i think if he wanted to he could have excused himself of any order dumbledore gave him and i don't think being the kindest of masters dumbledore would have objected?

Well with dobby its very clear he has been treated brutally by his masters and therefore he hates his master but that does not mean he'll betray each master...i don't think if he had harry as a master or dumbledore then he would've betrayed them same goes for kreaher doesn't it when he betrayed sirius but all the same he was loyal to regulus and the reast of the family because they loved him and since they were strict about the pureblood mania kreacher too got some of that! in the end like always hermione is correct in saying that elves just reciprocate what they get! both think the same it has just been shown in a diff light and circumstances

Have fun guys!Wink
-HP Dev Team

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

..RamKiJanaki..

chhilt

IF-Rockerz

chhilt

Posted: 28 December 2009 at 1:00pm | IP Logged

1. In what ways does Dobby's rebellion against the Malfoy Family, as well as the obstacles he meets due to it, symbolize the prejudices of today's society against 'lesser' folks? Basically, how and why is the character of Dobby essential for us to form a comparison between the prejudices of JKR's magical world and today's society of the 'real' world? Interesting question.... I think that is exactly the way it is today... I mean the Malfoys symbolize the arrogant and rich people in the world... and they definitely do treat lesser folks the way the Malfoys treated Dobby.... however, there are also people like Hermione, who work hard to make sure that poor people are also given a respectable place in society.

2. Though Dobby's character is truly heroic for the sacrifice he did at the cost of his own life, do you think JKR was trying to tell us in deeper terms that ultimately rebellion, even for a good cause, will end in punishment for the rebel? I mean, think about it. Dobby, wanting to be free, broke himself away from the Malfoy family and died in the end while Kreacher, who stuck with the Black family despite the ill treatment he faced, lived. So is JKR trying to tell us that if you want to rebel against something, be it ill treatment or prejudices, death or another form of punishment will be the result in most of the cases? I don't think so... I think what Jo was trying to tell us was that no one has any control over life. Everything happens for a reason and like Navi said, in this case, I think it was necessary for Harry to be grieving to block Voldemort from his mind. And also, many people we're close to have to die, sometimes for no reason that we can see... it's a way of life and it always has been...

3. Was Dobby ever really a free elf? Right when he was free of the Malfoy Family, he became employed at Hogwarts, and though Dumbledore was the kindest of masters, ultimately he wasn't really 'free' in the literal sense. Moreover, Dobby always obeyed each every order/request of Harry's. Did Dobby consider Harry his master? If so, was Dobby ever free? Dobby was definitely free... he obeyed Harry out of pure choice... he was free to make his decisions, to go wherever he wanted and to talk to whoever he wished... and basically, that's all that Dobby ever wanted.

4. What are the differences in thinking of Dobby and Kreacher? Though both are noble elves and you can't help but love both of them, their opinions about master/slave relationship are completely contradictory. Who do you think is more correct in their thinking, and did their way of thinking help them in the end or proove harmful? Everyone thinks differently... we all have opinions that we've formed by observing people we know... it was the same for Dobby and Kreacher... and of course, everyone has a motive behind their actions... Kreacher remained loyal to his family because he was treated well and kindly... Dobby wanted a way out because he wasn't.... of course, this doesn't even begin to cover their way of thinking because Dobby and Kreacher are both very complex characters.... and according to me, they were both right in what they thought...

Have fun guys!WinkGreat questions.... they required some verrry deep thinking! :P
-HP Dev Team

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

-Precious..RamKiJanaki..

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 28 December 2009 at 3:36pm | IP Logged
Superb answers everyone! Really enjoyed reading them. :)

Chhilt, I LOVE your new siggie, your sis made it soooooooo cool. :D

chhilt

IF-Rockerz

chhilt

Posted: 29 December 2009 at 3:15am | IP Logged
^^ Thanks! You watch the Vampire Diaries?

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 29 December 2009 at 6:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by chhilt

^^ Thanks! You watch the Vampire Diaries?

You're welcome. :)

No, I don't watch the VD, but I heard about them. Are they good?

chhilt

chhilt

IF-Rockerz

chhilt

Posted: 29 December 2009 at 8:35am | IP Logged
^^ Oh yeah! ;) Very very cool :)

..RamKiJanaki..

Post Reply New Post

Go to top