Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 14 years ago
Aww I love it when people kiss and make up on DM. 😆

Oh sorry I mean shake hands and make up. Don't mind me I am a goof, who people should stay away from.

Welcome to DM UK_Princez and hopefully, you don't get sucked into too many of our roundabouts. We are like the British here. We love roundabouts.
Uk_Princez thumbnail
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Aww I love it when people kiss and make up on DM. 😆

Oh sorry I mean shake hands and make up. Don't mind me I am a goof, who people should stay away from.

Welcome to DM UK_Princez and hopefully, you don't get sucked into too many of our roundabouts. We are like the British here. We love roundabouts.

Thanx hun.....🤗
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Ajnu, thanks for explaining that, love. Very nicely and sensibly put. The basic expectation is one of modesty. It all comes down to how people interpret modesty.

*-*-*-

Moving onto more issues on this topic.

I wanted to add more to one of the books that Krystal_Watz brought up. The one where a neutral assessment of the book was conveniently edited out and instead a loaded comment by a solitary user from the website who is neither the author or critique was focused on and highlighted. Thanks to King Anu for pointing us in the direction of the whole article.

I read more about the book on Amazon etc. I find it extremely ironic that Krystal chose an article on this particular book as 'support' for her argument. The book it seems is about interreligious marriage in Islam. It goes across the world and illustrates Muslim men and women who marry outside the religion. The concept where only Islamic men are allowed to marry outside, while Islamic women are prohibited is explained as the 'traditional' perspective of Islamic law. Through the book the author explains how different people interpret the religious laws and have successful/not so successful/difficult as well as easy marriages outside the religion. The book also illustrates countries like Senegal and other ethnic African groups who prefer to marry within their race/ethnicity irrespective of religious beliefs and that sometimes people weigh nationality/race/culture/religion and religion can take backseat over other commonalities. Considering that this book 'refutes' the 'religious bias' argument and explains religious interpretation and perspectives its actually is amusing that an article on this book was used to 'defend' the 'religious bias' argument.

Anyway to sum up the marriage discrepancy as brought up

-           People of all religions culturally identify with their religion and feel comfortable with their religion. Hence they show a preference towards their own religion when it comes to marriage and expect that children marry within the religion. There is a difference between preference for ones culture/religion versus bias against a different culture/religion.

-           In patrilineal society more men than women marry outside the religion. In matrilineal society more women than men marry outside the religion. Islam like many other religions is patrilineal.

-           Modesty is a broad social expectation. It can be a religious or cultural expectation. Whether out of religious belief or culture compliance, people can interpret modesty to various extremes. Rigid interpretations can hamper gender socialization in any society.

-           In any society the expectations of modesty and more rigid and higher on women. Hence usually more men have larger socialization circles than women. Hence it usually is men marrying outside culture/religion/community with women.

-           Even within a religion/culture there are varying levels of interpretations. In Islamic nations in the Middle East the religion is more concentrated and more stringent. While in other parts the religion is more diluted and open to interpretation. It is not always the religion, but overall demographics that plays a role.

-           Marriage depends on weight given to personal qualities/culture/nationality/ethnicity/religion etc. All things equal a person may choose their religion. However, people compromise religion to marry within similar ethnicity/nationality/culture etc.

-           Of course there will be some instances where it is pure unfair prejudice and bias, but is also unfairly prejudicial and biased to focus only on this one solitary aspect and ignore the broad, social, cultural and demographic perspectives and influences.

Alright, anything further than this. Back to the big colorful circle.

if u read that article carefully.......u'll see that it had numerous certain parts that had nothing to do with this topic.....such as the ones u mentioned, middle class, regionalism in Senegal etc etc.................if u noticed.......at the very beginning of the article, there was a small paragraph which talked about the instructions of the Shariat on inter-religious marriage- where it clearly states that muslim men can marry outside of religion but women cannot. it is THAT PART i wanted to highlight....so i edited out all the unneccessary parts.

on the solitary post.......well i included it as an example to show the kind of general muslim mindset that lies behind inter-reliigious marriage in islam.......what ordinary people feel about it.  sorry if it seemed otherwise to u......my intent was not to malign the author in any way.
Originally posted by: Uk_Princez

Yeh and there so fun...Chand raats have a great atmosphere.

i spose.  it's chandni nite i guess on chand rats? 😆
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: PhoeniXof_Hades

So they can be interpreted the way they want to? if that is the case, then how is it that the one who interprets their religious scriptures as condoning premarital relation is wrong, but then again, you can go on twisting and curving those very same words to fit your own needs? Why is this picking and choosing, if I may ask? It's extremely hypocritical that some people think it's okay for them to pick and choose what they wish to follow and what they do not, but for others - it's not applicable.

True..I do agree...specifically each different religion tht has a 'God' according to their 'religions' depiction / interpretation of their 'God' or 'Way of living'....depending on which human beings are participating wth this word 'God' as 'their God' according to 'their religion' within differentiations of belief and faith,will naturally make a difference to the interpretation/definition of the word 'God'....There is no need to (blindly) believe in anything - tha is the fundamental of science. That is the sceitific apporch to realy is do not (just blindly) believe, inquire.... The moment we believe (blindly), inquiry stops.... I think we should,keep your mind open - neither believe nor disbelieve. Just remain alert and search and doubt everything until you come to a point which is indubitable - that's what truth is....
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Believe

True..I do agree...specifically each different religion tht has a 'God' according to their 'religions' depiction / interpretation of their 'God' or 'Way of living'....depending on which human beings are participating wth this word 'God' as 'their God' according to 'their religion' within differentiations of belief and faith,will naturally make a difference to the interpretation/definition of the word 'God'....There is no need to (blindly) believe in anything - tha is the fundamental of science. That is the sceitific apporch to realy is do not (just blindly) believe, inquire.... The moment we believe (blindly), inquiry stops.... I think we should,keep your mind open - neither believe nor disbelieve. Just remain alert and search and doubt everything until you come to a point which is indubitable - that's what truth is....

It is said that enlightenment comes in a flash.😆
But it is not easy to be able to hold on to it unless we have the capacity.
I recommend

karandel_2008 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: krystal_watz

answer to ur post- no they dont represent islam, but the things which are written in them are written in the Qur'an as well.......................the koran itself forbids women marrying into other religions.

yup, but fearing for ur own religion should be present in all religions right? then why is islam particularly so cautious about it?

and secondly if u see it that way- its is quite ok if someone else comes to my family and takes up my religion, but it will NOT  be okay when my daughter will do the same with other religions if she marries outside- encourage conversion to islam, but discourage the other way round.....koi mere ghar pe aakar rahe aur mere jaise chale to thik hai, par mere ghar se koi aisa nahi karga dusro ke ghar jaake..............thats hypocricy in my opinion.

Just wanted to add one point that this term "hypocrisy" gets thrown around a lot. Sometimes without caring about the meaning. I thought that one is hypocrite when one claims to have certain beliefs, but, in fact, that person doesnt have those beliefs, etc (I may be wrong about the meaning).

So how is one hypocrite if someone from certain religion has some beliefs and follows them strictly?
Originally posted by: karandel_2008

Just wanted to add one point that this term "hypocrisy" gets thrown around a lot. Sometimes without caring about the meaning. I thought that one is hypocrite when one claims to have certain beliefs, but, in fact, that person doesnt have those beliefs, etc (I may be wrong about the meaning).

So how is one hypocrite if someone from certain religion has some beliefs and follows them strictly?

She probably meant double standards.
Originally posted by: Emptiness

She probably meant double standards.

thanks emtiness 👏👏👏
karandel_2008 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
^^ ok I see you meant double standards. My point was that word "hypocrisy" gets thrown around a lot even when it doesn't fit. (I too do it many times).

Regarding bias, selfishness and all. I already made a different topic.

Regarding double standards: I will post some views later. Is having double standards always bad according to you? or it is bad only when it is used in derogatory way for one group.?
Edited by karandel_2008 - 14 years ago