Can you omit religon for Marriage! - Page 3

Posted: 14 years ago
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

People are free to believe and live their lives the way they want to. I am not going to condemn them for their actions, nor would I go on condoning it; it's not my place to judge someone elses life / way of life. However, if people feel that they will never marry someone out of their religion/caste/creed etc (for whatever reason it maybe) - then the person ought to be careful from the very beginning, and not mess up with someone he/she isn't going to end up being married with. Nothing is worse than playing with someone's emotions and then betraying him/her because, all of a sudden you had an urge to be "cultural" or "religious".

However, love is blind - if you do fall in love with someone who does not share the same grounds of beliefs as you do - what are you going to do. Deny the obvious, work on forgetting it, or work on letting others accept it.

The only bothersome thing about inter-religious, or inter-racial marriage, in my opinion, is whether the couples themselves get to accept and respect and live with each others beliefs and lifestyles, and of course the confrontation they are going to have to face from their families. No matter how we put it, family is an extremely important part of everyone's life - even for people who stay distant to their family. And no one can ever live a happy life after an estrangement with their family. I, for one, am staying out of this entire mess (oh, well, I am not going to get married - you all know that, right? 😆) mostly for this family-oriented matters, than I am for religious ones. 😊

For the rest - I really don't care about. I wouldn't give a damn rat's a$$ if the entire society turns their back on me for marrying someone outside of their choice[s] - not that the society is going to pay for my marriage, or rent me free houses. And I am not terribly fond of voyeurs peaking through the windows of my room.

And finally, I could care the least as to what God thinks. God, if He exists, must have better things to worry about than two of his similar creations coming together, maybe for another act of creation. After all, over one-third of the world's population is starving to death - how about God worrying about their wellbeing than some irrelevant inter-religious marriage that have no impacts on the world whatsoever. God cannot be as egoistic as many claim him to be. 😉(Maybe we would like to start a debate on what defines egoistic, what characteristics God possesses, why is He against interracial marriage, etc).

Mujhe jo kahena than woh main kahe chuki hoon. Now it's turn for others to come with their daggers at me. 😆

Dagger #1 - Why are you online? Shouldn't you be studying, mister? 😡

Dagger #2- (in red) I thought I was the only one who spoke in the wrong gender. 😆

Dagger #3- (in blue) Well not really a dagger because I agree. I don't have any patience or respect for people who take relationships outside of their religion/culture/nationality lightly simply because they know that in the end they can simply hold up the sign that says "my parents would never agree". Unless both parties are crystal clear that the relationship could never be serious, it is wrong for anyone to make someone else feel otherwise, but of course that applies to things outside of religion as well.

Dagger #4- (in purple) I don't think love is blind. People know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it, but sometimes they choose to do it anyways. Perhaps you can't help but be attracted to someone, I agree with,  but falling in love to the extent where you want to spend your whole life with them --- I think that's too big of a decision to be taken blindly.

Dagger #5- (in green) Again, I agree. But I think that is where their love is being tested, everything seems easier when you're not in that situation, but once you're standing there, you know exactly what you're doing and how hard it is. But my question is, before you "fall in love", do you also not love your family? Then is a romantic love more significant or even more stronger than the love you share with your family?

Dagger #6- (in pink) You're not going to get married? Yeah right, we'll see. 😉

Dagger #7- (in bold red) BINGO. You don't care what God thinks, which means that faith does not have a strong enough place in your life (not being personal, referring to my original post), or rather it is not a core value that you use to define yourself, but that differs from person to person. ---- This dagger was just to prove my original point that it all depends on how much meaning religion holds in your life. 😆

Phew, hope the daggers didn't hurt too much. ;)

Originally posted by _LalithaJanaki_

Hmm, nicely put👏 

This makes sense to me.

Hey, thanks!
Originally posted by karandel_2008

I will disagree with anything that creates hurdle for true love.

Hmm, okay. But define true love.

If family stands in the way of "true love", then are they considered a hurdle? Do you also not love your family, and does your family also not love you? Is that love not "true"?

Not attacking your thoughts, just adding fuel to the fire, if you will. ;)
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

Why do we see things from only one perspective. It definitely is wrong to hurt ones sentiment; if the person[s] happen to be our biological (or otherwise) parents, then it is a worse matter. I agree that children should try to live upto their parents expectation.

However, is it not the duty of the parents, too, to keep their children happy and healthy - or does the love/devotion/responsibility comes only from one side and not the other?

Absolutely not, I think we're being selfish here. Every time our parents don't agree with us, we pull the "you just don't want to see me be happy, do you, " knowing well enough that is far from the truth. Our parents always do things with our best interests in mind, sometimes what they are doing may hurt us, or they may not understand where we're coming from, but we always have to remember that they always put us before ourselves and we always put ourselves before them.
Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

Hey, thanks!

Hmmmm..............
This is what makes DM so exciting. Now that we have covered love and sex for the past few weeks, we come down to marriage and religion again. 😛

I'm not a religious person, but am spiritual. I have a strong sense of personal faith and it is integral to who I am. To me religion is just a means for people to find and express faith. It does not matter to me what religion people follow. However, I will admit that it is not easy to completely ignore or omit religion. It is an important consideration. In order to marry despite religious differences it is important for me that I be able to respect the other person's religious beliefs and they be able to do the same towards my faith. If either of our faiths are unable to come to a mutual compromise and respect, marriage will be very difficult.

Speaking of marriage, when people of two different religions are married - how do you raise your children? I mean once you have made the initial compromise to enter a relationship, it is not going to be a bed of roses to move on. Do you bring them up mixed religion? Is it possible for a parent to have a child being raised in a completely different faith than their own?

Phew, hope the daggers didn't hurt too much. ;)

Bechara POH, seven daggers. Did you drive them all into the heart or into the brain?😆
Originally posted by gengarjetty2

Hmmmm..............

What hmmm? 😕
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Bechara POH, seven daggers. Did you drive them all into the heart or into the brain?😆

Wherever it is more effective. 😆

What hmmm? 😕

no i recall you said something loong back abt ur faith , thats all