Sports/Cricket

Shane Bond quits Test cricket

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

coolsonu

IF-Rockerz

coolsonu

Posted: 23 December 2009 at 3:42am | IP Logged
New Zealand fast bowler Shane Bond has announced his retirement from Test cricket due to his recurring battle with injuries during his eight-year international career. He will continue to play one-dayers and Twenty20s.

After quitting the Indian Cricket League, Bond made a comeback to the international side earlier this year. However, he was forced to withdraw from the recent Test series against Pakistan at home after tearing an abdominal muscle in the first Test.

"The hardest thing is that I've always considered myself a Test bowler - and it was such a great feeling to be back in the team last month and playing Test match cricket with the Blackcaps," Bond said.

"I've worked really hard to get back to Test match fitness - it's what I've been working towards for the past two years - and I feel I gave as much as I could. But looking back, so many of my injuries have come during Test cricket. Unfortunately my body just won't let me continue to play at that level, given the workload and demands of Test cricket.

"I don't want to end on an injury and I am absolutely committed to playing for the Blackcaps. This way I hope I've got a better chance of continuing to play. I hope I'll be able to continue to contribute to the team and to New Zealand cricket fans for a while yet.

"It's been a tough call, because Test cricket remains the ultimate form of the game - but I'm comfortable I've made the right choice."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A sad retirement for a great fast bowler. He is one of my favorite fast bowlers. His express pace worries most batsmen. He had the talent and the attitude, but sadly not the body. His injuries didn't help him. His talent deserved much more than what he achieved in Test cricket.   Cry

Edited by coolsonu - 23 December 2009 at 3:42am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Shane Bond quits Test cricket" in Sports/Cricket forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

NAKSHFAN_289

Groupbie

NAKSHFAN_289

Posted: 24 December 2009 at 8:24am | IP Logged

it is too early to get retiered.........

baz786

IF-Sizzlerz

baz786

Posted: 05 January 2010 at 1:12pm | IP Logged
i think he made sensible decision given that he is injury prone
i dnt think his body can take 5 days of cricket in test format where bowlers are expected to bowl 15 to 20 per day
whereas he's fine in one-day and T20 where bowlers only need to bowl 10 and 4 overs respectfully

Post Reply New Post

Go to top