Debate Mansion

Is colonialism back?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

lakshmim_84

IF-Rockerz

lakshmim_84

Posted: 21 December 2009 at 12:40am | IP Logged
Few months back (well actually an yr), i heard abt UAE buying lands in pakistan for farming

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20081027/BUSINESS/618179339

Later on, i read the news abt Qatar Livestock investing 1 billion on farmlands in pakistan.That time, it did not impact me much, cos i felt its similar to our special economic zones. Also, it cld be such that pakistan is taking help from UAE to increase its agricultural output..but then i came to know that these farms are used to cuiltivate crops that will be only for those countries ie that output is for UAE and Qatar. They r free to hire whoever thay want as workers and have complete sovergnity over that land and its produce.

This is not just in Pakistan, but in Sudan, Cambodia, Congo and Uganda  too. But what shocked me the most is the news abt SA thinking of buying land in pakistan, with the additional clause that they can have their own security forces to protect those lands. It just reminded me of EastIndia Company keeping army to protect their investments in India........ And now it seems China has also entered into this - Buying land in pakistan.

Here is an article abt this by Shireen M Mazari, an academic in pakistan

Our leaders' voluntary submission to colonisation

Heard that India is also in the league..........but a good news for us is that, we r buying lands.n not selling our country.....

India joins 'neocolonial' rush for Africa's land and labour

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is colonialism back?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top