Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 6

Page 1 Page 3
Page   of 6
Page 5 Page 6

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 20 December 2009 at 7:55am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_Veil

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Religious lyrics in songs (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

P1nk

IF-Dazzler

P1nk

Posted: 20 December 2009 at 10:34am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

Everybody like to use and misuse God names different places,different occations, If God doent bother these things...then why we careWink

Maybe God is bothered but he is testing us with his silence. Confused

--ania--

resham12345

Goldie

resham12345

Posted: 20 December 2009 at 10:36am | IP Logged
Everyone has full right to pen down their ideas and their thoughts. But when you keep God on such a high pedestal and you worship, it does not matter what religion you belong to then, giving humans the same importance while writing a song even if your intentions are not wrong is bad. In the song, " Rab se pehle hai tu" the human is being given much more importance then God. This can be blasphemous for others/ And when the idea of not listening to such songs comes in then the fact of the matter is that it still exists doesn't it? It is still blasphemous? SO everyone has the right to their own opinions but one should also be careful of worldwide human sentiments while writing a song or another art form

..RamKiJanaki..

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 20 December 2009 at 12:16pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by _LalithaJanaki_

It's fine if the lyrics themselves are appropriate to use God's name. If it's an innocent love song, or a song about life, family, or something innocent, then God's name can be used symbolically, but if someone uses God's name symbolically in a sex song, I'd say there's something mentally wrong with that person and they'd better get themselves checked as soon as possible, the same for anyone who supports someone like that.Stern Smile

Sexuality is a natural and normal part of human nature. To many people sexuality is interlinked with spirituality as well as religion. I can go into many religious references that integrate with sexuality, but I will choose not to do so, unless compelled to do so. The basic point is that while some people feel the need to separate 'sexuality' and 'religion', to others it is 'integrated' and sexual references are not blasphemy. 

The next thing people ask to themselves is how do you perceive God? If God is omniscient and omnipotent like in some theology, how can a song affect something that is omniscient or omnipotent. Let us take a more simpler narrower perception. If you perceive God to be chaste and asexual, how does someone else's sexualization of God change or affect your perception. Moreover, what right does one have to have each and every person to conform to their chaste and asexual perception of God.

The topic here is narrow on religion in music. But the question of blasphemy has broader context. Western theology forbids saying God's name in vain, where as amidst Hindu's saying 'Hey Ram' etc. at simple moments is perfectly fine. So saying Jesus Christ in alarm may seem natural to some people, but blasphemy to some people. Similarly, one may think it is fine to name a person after a God and say something in reference to that person. However, in broader context if saying something with God's name is wrong, then there is a disconnect in saying if someone shares name with God - then such statements are right. What if that little Shiv some years down the road has a wife who says a lot of naughty things in Shiv's name?

As a matter of fact when Hare Ram or Hare Krishna or whatever is used in a song, why dong people just assume that its not God being referred but two random men who were named Ram and Kishan. Something or the other will always be blasphemy or offensive to some people. These people have a right to ignore, dismiss and not support what they deem as blasphemy. However, I do not think people have a right to force their perception of blasphemy on others.

Although while I was reading this topic last night a friend pointed out that ignoring or not supporting is not always easy. For example as an African American he is completely against the use of the n-word in music by hip-hop artistes and rappers etc. But if he is at a friends party, restaurant or club - he cannot just walk out whenever such a song plays. Similarly people who find a song as blasphemy cannot always walk away when it plays. Hence banning or proscribing seems to be a viable option.

The problem with that is, even though difficult a person still has a choice to walk out of the room, turn off the music and show their dissent towards a song. However, if you ban music based on a narrow groups's perception then you have taken away the rights of all people who may want to make and listen to such music. So allowing the music is a viable option because if you look overall - it is still the option that allows one group to make a choice of exercising their right of not supporting. Banning music tramples one groups rights for the others.

Now I'm not a psychiatrist so I won't be making any claims on my mental health. However, if you are willing to pay, I will be more than happy to have my head examined with a psychiatrist of your choice to determine if there is something abnormal or deviant in my thought process.

Beyond_the_Veil

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 20 December 2009 at 12:22pm | IP Logged

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 20 December 2009 at 12:27pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

ROFL how come that example did not cross my mindLOL 

Loved your entire post.  Brilliant - like always.

I must be a deviant. LOL

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 20 December 2009 at 12:31pm | IP Logged

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 20 December 2009 at 12:33pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by return_to_hades

ROFL how come that example did not cross my mindLOL 

Loved your entire post.  Brilliant - like always.

I must be a deviant. LOL
we can go together to get our heads examinedLOL  I sometimes wonder why my threshold for putting up with non-sense is way higher than many around meLOL 

Yes I think you are a deviant too.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top