Page 1
Page   of 6
Page 3 Page 6

gumsum

Goldie

gumsum

Posted: 19 December 2009 at 4:37pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

I don't mind them at all.  It doesn't get any worst than folks named after gods and godesses getting yelled at for something wrong.  One of our friends named their son Shiv.  Now, this Shiv is a real naughty kid.  We usually hear the parents go - Shiv, bahut pityega....nalayak Shiv, idher aa.........if that is acceptable then what's the problem with the lyrics?
ROFL why are you repeating what they say, paap badegaLOLLOL

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Religious lyrics in songs (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 19 December 2009 at 4:45pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 19 December 2009 at 7:56pm | IP Logged

I don't mind them at all.  It doesn't get any worst than folks named after gods and godesses getting yelled at for something wrong.  One of our friends named their son Shiv.  Now, this Shiv is a real naughty kid.  We usually hear the parents go - Shiv, bahut pityega....nalayak Shiv, idher aa.........if that is acceptable then what's the problem with the lyrics?

This is irrevelant.

It is wrong to use God in songs if the song is inappropriate (for example, if it talks about sex or er...other 'naughty' things) and irrevelant to God. It is perfectly alright to use God in a song if the song is about God or if it is about pure innocent love or even if it's a reflective or thought provoking song. The song itself has to be appropriate, innocent, and/or pure, because God is pure.

People name their kids after Gods as a form of respect and love towards their favorite God. When the child does wrong, the child gets yelled at, not the God the child is named after.

Sorry, I don't see how using God in inappropriate songs and a child who is named after God getting yelled at is related. Maybe you can explain to me.Smile 

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

resham12345P1nkThe_Other_Womanbaz786

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 19 December 2009 at 8:41pm | IP Logged

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_Veil

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 19 December 2009 at 9:08pm | IP Logged
People take the Lord's name when they come, people take the Lord's name when they go.

Anyway, lyrics are not meant to be taken literally. They are interpretative, metaphorical and symbolic. Religious references are used either for rhythmic reasons (eg. Hare Ram) or to create a symbolism. Enjoy a song for what its worth.

Personally, I am perfectly fine with religious references in songs. Some people do find it offensive, they personally can choose not to support the song and its artistes. Faith is personal and within a person's heart. To me it is ludicrous to think that faith can remotely be touched or maligned by some silly filmy song.

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 19 December 2009 at 9:16pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by _LalithaJanaki_

This is irrevelant.
Why so?  Isn't that akin to taking the god's name in vain? No it's not. Taking God's name in vain means saying something against God and using God's name in something inappropriate. When you are righting the wrongs done by a child by lecturing the child, it is not taking God's name in vain because you are righting your child's wrong, meaning you are doing your duty as a parent.Smile That comes under one of the most important rules of life given by God.

It is wrong to use God in songs if the song is inappropriate (for example, if it talks about sex or er...other 'naughty' things) and irrevelant to God. It is perfectly alright to use God in a song if the song is about God or if it is about pure innocent love or even if it's a reflective or thought provoking song. The song itself has to be appropriate, innocent, and/or pure, because God is pure.
If it gels with the lyrics and tune, I really don't see what the problem is.  Indian gods have never been against sex or other "naughty" things.  We have Krishan running with maidens' clothes after sneaking on them when they are bathing.  Why should he mind the "naughtyness" then?  They all have been there and done that somewhat. If we are talking about Krishna in the form of a human, and since you are apparently so knowledgeable about Lord Krishna's deeds, then you must know that Krishna was no older than 5 or 6 when he took the maidens' clothes and played a prank on them. It is quite a harmless common thing children do.
Anyhow, people who do not understand the deeper messages of Lord Krishna's deeds but only base their base opinions on him off of what they see outside will never understand the deeper messages. Some people think the Maharaas was a sexual dance between Krishna and the Gopis, because that's all they see and that's all they want to see, but only those who truly want enlightenment will understand that the Maharaas was the joining of the Paramatma with the Jeevatma, God with the soul.
You may say that you do not believe in all the spiritual explanations behind Shri Krishna's deeds, but that's because you do not want to. I'm sorry, but you cannot use these examples without these deeper meanings. Anyhow, most people in this DM are so "advanced" in their thought process, so it's a waste of time explaining further.

First of all, if people feel so entitled to use the examples of Krishnaji's deeds you want to use, then you cannot also ignore the other ones.
Fine, if people want to use Krishna's name in their disgusting sex songs, only those who've lifted a mountain with their finger and kept it on their finger for 8 days can. Only those who've given unlimited cloth appear from their hand can. Only those who've danced on the hood of a poisonous snake in order to protect the sanctity of a river can. Only those who've made fruit turn to precious gems can. I can go on an on.

Don't tell me you don't believe in these incidents. If you don't, then you cannot also believe in the other incidents. If those "self-rigteous" people think they can use God in their songs, only do so if you've done God's miracles. If you haven't, then you do not even deserve to utter God's name, let alone use it in your disgusting songs.

I am getting sick and tired of how Lord Krishna is degraded by some people. If you think you know so much about him, I'm sorry, you're mistaken, because if you did, you'd know that Lord Krishna is the only avatar of God who is called a Yogi.

People name their kids after Gods as a form of respect and love towards their favorite God. When the child does wrong, the child gets yelled at, not the God the child is named after.
Come againLOL  They are taking the name of the God because this is why they named their child what they named him. Wait, what? I didn't get what you said.Confused   

Sorry, I don't see how using God in inappropriate songs and a child who is named after God getting yelled at is related. Maybe you can explain to me.Smile 
Just did.  What's good for the goose ain't good for the gander - ehWink
I am totally against getting all het up over trivial issues as incorporating god's name in the lyrics.  How lame can it get, folks!  And if you are hell bent on taking this conservative a road then you should also be , frowning upon god's name getting yelled at, god's name associated with those who blow up the planes, god's name dragged into the papers becaue some ramlaal raped some durgadevi...........list goes on and on and on.  Can't be selective about what we get het up over and what we let pass.

How can you say people who're against God's name used in lyrics are supportive of people blowing others up in the name of God?Shocked What right do you have to say that? Do you think we want the terrorists using God's name to support their actions? Do you think we want God's name being dragged into all the attrocious acts? No, we do not want God's name dragged into this, and neither do we support those disgusting people, so think twice before making such allegations.

We are against people using God's name in disgusting lyrics because it totally disrespects God. No, yelling at your child for something they did wrong is not blasphemy against God, but saying "Hare Rama, Hare Krishna" in songs which talks about sex and rape is. You may not believe so, because you've already written in previous posts that to you, scriptures are nothing more than story books, but you seem to have forgotten that they are scriptures for people who follow that religion, meaning to them, it is the word of God, and yes, Krishna and Rama are Gods to us, though they may be criticizeable characters to you. You can criticize their actions all you want as you may do with other novels, but we won't criticize them. You may say finding 'spiritual explanations' for their actions is only the weak way out to support them, but to us, these spiritual explanations are the truth.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

gin_ger_ale

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 19 December 2009 at 9:19pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

People take the Lord's name when they come, people take the Lord's name when they go.

Anyway, lyrics are not meant to be taken literally. They are interpretative, metaphorical and symbolic. Religious references are used either for rhythmic reasons (eg. Hare Ram) or to create a symbolism. Enjoy a song for what its worth.

Personally, I am perfectly fine with religious references in songs. Some people do find it offensive, they personally can choose not to support the song and its artistes. Faith is personal and within a person's heart. To me it is ludicrous to think that faith can remotely be touched or maligned by some silly filmy song.

It's fine if the lyrics themselves are appropriate to use God's name. If it's an innocent love song, or a song about life, family, or something innocent, then God's name can be used symbolically, but if someone uses God's name symbolically in a sex song, I'd say there's something mentally wrong with that person and they'd better get themselves checked as soon as possible, the same for anyone who supports someone like that.Stern Smile

Edited by _LalithaJanaki_ - 19 December 2009 at 9:19pm

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 19 December 2009 at 9:27pm | IP Logged

Post Reply New Post

Go to top