Post Reply New Post

Page 8 of 8

Page 1 Page 7
Page   of 8

gardes

IF-Dazzler

gardes

Posted: 18 December 2009 at 8:01pm | IP Logged
Kools, I am new on this forum and read your compelling arguments and some (not all) of the responses.  You hit the nail on the head in your opening thread when you mentioned the concept of a wife being a husband's "property" and liberties taken under that premise.  I agree with you that the message there is not a pretty one.  Every day we make choices and the choice we make sets us apart.  Manav is way out of line!  I think he would think twice before touching Manjusha, if he found out she was responsible.  She is not his property!

I think you are asking the forum to look beyond the bias of liking a character on the show or a "deserving" character.  I think these soaps are showing physical violence like no one's business.  Any display of violence is irresponsible television.  We have had this discussion on the other forum about subtle and not so subtle messages put out there in the name of entertainment.  Showing Manav doing things in an angry moment or as a deliberate act of physical harm is still called physical harm.  No one deserves it.  Showing Savita being slapped by her husband, whether she deserves it or not, is the same thing!  Some may justify that as an eye for an eye for her treatment of Archana.  Television and movies tend to develop the psyche of a viewing audience.  For an understanding viewer like you, you can make the distinction of right from wrong.  Does everyone viewing the show take the same message?

You know me Kools, sermonizing again!  :D

Edited by gardes - 18 December 2009 at 8:04pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

nikitagmc

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Manav : Way out of Line (Page 8)" in Pavitra Rishta forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

koolsadhu1000

IF-Sizzlerz

koolsadhu1000

Posted: 19 December 2009 at 7:52pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by gardes

Kools, I am new on this forum and read your compelling arguments and some (not all) of the responses.  You hit the nail on the head in your opening thread when you mentioned the concept of a wife being a husband's "property" and liberties taken under that premise.  I agree with you that the message there is not a pretty one.  Every day we make choices and the choice we make sets us apart.  Manav is way out of line!  I think he would think twice before touching Manjusha, if he found out she was responsible.  She is not his property!

I think you are asking the forum to look beyond the bias of liking a character on the show or a "deserving" character.  I think these soaps are showing physical violence like no one's business.  Any display of violence is irresponsible television.  We have had this discussion on the other forum about subtle and not so subtle messages put out there in the name of entertainment.  Showing Manav doing things in an angry moment or as a deliberate act of physical harm is still called physical harm.  No one deserves it.  Showing Savita being slapped by her husband, whether she deserves it or not, is the same thing!  Some may justify that as an eye for an eye for her treatment of Archana.  Television and movies tend to develop the psyche of a viewing audience.  For an understanding viewer like you, you can make the distinction of right from wrong.  Does everyone viewing the show take the same message?

gardes lovely to see u on this forum and i like what u call as ur sermonizing . I have a tendency to sermonize myself .LOL I think I was a priest in my last birth .LOL

When i wrote this post , I knew i was going against popular opinion . Manav is too well liked for many to even look beyond this action of his and consider it from an unbiased point of view . Not just that , truly , Manav is a good character . He is down to earth , simple , lower middle class , and indeed a real victim in this serial . That made my post even more difficult as those who were perhaps not having a crush on the character of Manav were definetely having tremendous sympathy for his suffering . Viewers fell in these two categories........die hard fans of Manav and extremely sympathetic to his personal suffering . Both wud have retaliated in defense of Manav ..........and this is precisely what happened . If u see the replies , these who dont agree with me r far more than those few who agreed .

I do not view this show for the romantic angle alone . Yes I like it as an add on but chiefly I view it as the journey of a middle class couple in Dombivli ............something I identify with as I have visited that place many times in my childhood . I liked it that Ekta kapoor chose Dombivli as a location , chose the lower middle class Marathi family as against those rich north indian flamboyance one sees constantly in serials .......Khannas , Kapoors , Walias , Singhs  etc etc etc . Inspite of drama this serial had at least a dollop of realism in it .

What infuriated me in the arm twisting scene was the tremendous popularity Manav got as an 'angry young man ' .  An angry young man in my opinion gains respect if he is angry at the correct source of his misery . Targeting the loopholes in the system ............the beating given without listening to their side of the story , or pulling up the police woman for going overboard with procedure , glaring at Manju and keeping her well etched in mind and pointedly telling her so , blasting Sulochana [ which he did very effectively ] , and maintaining a cold stiff silence with Archu  where he refuses to even speak to her for letting things spiral this much out of control was what wud have pleased a viewer like me . What his father realised that Manav cud have realised too .........that it is simply not in Archana to go and register police complaints .........she is far too gutless as an individual to do it .  Forget the romantic angle that meri Archna aisa kabhi nahi kar sakti thing...........simple judgement as an individual . That she has no guts . A negative assesment of Archana , but one proving beneficial to her ...........and letting us see as viewers that Manav has brains . I wud prefer to see a brainy angry young man ...........anger sharpening his intellect , like the drinks sharpen his father;s intellect .

With this reaction...........Manav becomes as dumb as Archana. It seems Ekta is hell bent on putting them on an equal footing even in the brain compartment . For Archana is slow witted in that compartment , we all saw that .

The crime that Archu committed is this : She is slow in thinking and took too long to think independently and acknowledge her love for Manav .

The punishment that she will get for this crime is far too much proportionwise . Her arm twisted , hatred galore , possibility of never returning to her marraige , Manavs possible second marraige ........Manju winning , no possibility of re settling in her life with a guy like Satish , alienation from her maayka members [ Sulochana and Manohar r already keeping quiet and Vinod has broken off ties with her ] ...........all this in addition to the heap of character assasination that Savita has already heaped upon her unknown to manav . It is just too much . I mean , why the hell shud she suffer this .........why ? Even if in the eyes of Manav fans if she has done a crime of rejecting Manav [ they r all furious that she rejected his attempts at a reconciliation and want her to ' run after Manav for a change' }.........so much suffering for being a bit late in coming to terms with her own real feelings is simply NOT FAIR .

Archana's good points r studiously overlooked by Manav fans . They only see that she rejected his attempts , did not speak up passionately for him , did not give him an opprtunity . Which i agree with . Archana shud have realised as a human being that when she had been framed in that brothel , no one had given her a chance and Satishs family had broken off the alliance ..........so Manav too needed a chance to clear himself . Besides , the source who accused him , Ajit , was a highly unreliable , unpopular , unpleasant one .  This much feeling shud have come in Archanas mind . And this is her mistake for which she will pay threefold times more than what she shud have fairly got .

But Archana put up with immense hard work in his house . She was very nice as a bhabhi to his little sister Vandu and also Sachin . She did not treat her drunkard sasur with contempt but with utmost respect , realising that he had a good heart ............that much respect even Savita had not given her own husband . Not once did she make any issue with Savita over any matter and Savita had given her hundreds of opportunities to do so . She even hid savitas dowry demands from Kaka who wud have blasted her . The Karanjkars did not encourage Archana like Rasika did with Manju .........to do snobbery and belittle the chawl living Deshmukhs by not adjusting there . In fact Sulochana turned her face the other way inspite of noticing that Savita wore all Archus ornaments and maintained a stiff silence , giving her daughter 's marraige into a highly dysfunctional family a real chance . She even sent Vinod there with Sachins gold pendant that Savita demanded , by breaking a savings bond .  And Archana did all this for Manav . She was not the smart , speaking up kind and love was new to her . Besides she was terribly scared and confused  about Manav's constant contact with that pimp who kept cropping up at intervals in her life . Satisfactory explanations about that had never been really given to her . If archana is to be blamed so is Manav equally blameworthy for not talking about the brothel issue , how he had really come to be there at that point , at any point in his 15 day marraige to Archana . He had plenty of occasions.........they went out to eat Pav bhaji , in the markets ........but he kept silent right upto the point she once more saw him with that pimp.

In my opinion, even in that teething stage , Archana did return manav's love in an equal proportion . In fact , in a far greater proportion since Manav was already in love with her while she was only learning to love him and already putting up with phenomenal sacrifices for him by enduring Savita's terrorization . So being this angry with her on the part of Manav fans .........that they say she deserves this arm twisting , that Savita is better than Sulochna for she is down to earth and doesnt pretend , that Archana needs to run after Manav and be humiliated a bit ...........is not at all fair in my opinion . She has done nothng to deserve this . All that was required was the tape that wud clear Manav publicly and that too was got by the brainy drunkard , not Manav , who once convicted of a crime he had not done , did absolutely NOTHING to absolve himself of blame except by slowly giving up on his marraige .

Manav cud not bear to see his mom slapped by his own dad even after thirty years of marraige . He felt even after those thirty years his father did not acquire that 'right ' ..........even in righteous rage . Well , then he too has no right to twist his wifes arm in a fit of righteous rage , even to prove a point . For women r not objects to be used in duels to prove a point . They r very much their own individuals and do not belong to either their brothers or husbands as such.........they belong only to themselves . The moment they r used in a fight to prove a point , they r devalued . And this point shud be noted by at least some serial maker .

You know me Kools, sermonizing again!  :D

Post Reply New Post

Go to top